The Sword and Laser discussion

Amazon Kindle Matchbook & New Paperwhite

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dara (last edited Sep 03, 2013 11:53AM) (new)

Dara (cmdrdara) | 2693 comments Amazon announced Kindle Matchbook today. Starting in October, if you bought one of 10,000 selected titles from Amazon in print, you can buy a Kindle version for $0.99-$2.99. There's no limit to when the purchase was made either. So if you bought a copy of a book in 2001, you can still buy a Kindle version when Matchbook launches. Pretty cool!

Edit:
Amazon also announced a new version of the Kindle paperwhite:
http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.z...

message 2: by Rob, Roberator (new)

Rob (robzak) | 6753 comments Mod
Since I buy all my stuff from Amazon pretty much, and prefer physical books, this is great for me.

message 3: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 4132 comments Awesome! Take my money now!!

message 4: by David (new)

David (strakul) Note that the new Paperwhite has (or will have) built-in Goodreads support! Hopefully this can be extended for those of us with older models.
I'm still holding out for a color e-ink Kindle for when I upgrade, though...

message 5: by Rob, Roberator (new)

Rob (robzak) | 6753 comments Mod
I hope that means Amazon will improve the mobile app. It's pretty useless for groups/newsfeeds. I basically just use it to update books.

message 6: by Joseph (new)

Joseph Just as I bought a Kindle Paperwhite, they bring out a newer version...

Oh well I still like mine a lot. :)

message 7: by Dara (new)

Dara (cmdrdara) | 2693 comments I also hope for a good reads app update.

message 8: by Micah (new)

Micah (onemorebaker) | 1071 comments I wonder if this move with the e-book match is related to the legal smack down apple recieved over their price fixing with the publishers?

message 9: by JRush (new)

JRush | 64 comments I just bought a Paperwhite a few days ago and was pissed this morning when I saw the announcement. But then I found the receipt so it will be returned and I will wait a few weeks for the new one.

Matchbook sounds amazing! Does this apply to any copy of a book on the list? Can you walk into a local book store and pick up a cheep best seller and get the discounted e-book that easy?

message 10: by Rick (new)

Rick | 2782 comments No, you have to have bought the paper book at Amazon.

message 11: by Tim (new)

Tim | 380 comments David wrote: "Note that the new Paperwhite has (or will have) built-in Goodreads support! Hopefully this can be extended for those of us with older models.
I'm still holding out for a color e-ink Kindle for when..."

I saw that on the US ad, but there's no mention of it on the UK one.

Ruth (tilltab) Ashworth | 1861 comments I'm guessing that, similar to the audible/kindle link up thing, this will be available only in the US. Well, we'll see.

message 13: by Seawood (new)

Seawood Sounds like the Autorip feature Amazon have been doing for CDs lately, dropping mp3s of any music you've bought on CD into your cloud. They don't charge for that, though - I wonder why there's a fee for ebooks?

Never seen a Paperwhite in the wild - are they worth the extra? We're looking to get our daughter a Kindle of some flavour for her 8th birthday before the house explodes with her books, and were just going to go with the basic.

message 14: by Andreas (new)

Andreas Seawood wrote: "Never seen a Paperwhite in the wild - are they worth the extra?"
Absolutely. I've got one since a couple of months and would never return it. I've owned two kindles previously (both sadly crushed due to my sillyness) and I think that the paperwhite is worth the addon price.

Main argument for me were the lights which replaced clumsy addon lights integrated in a cover. They don't suck too much battery as well, so you can go days and days of reading with them. I turn them low at night in bed and high in the sun. It's contrast is just great.
I was afraid of the touchscreen but got used to it in just a couple of minutes.

The only disadvantage that I see in comparison to older models - besides of the price - is that it can't play music anymore.

message 15: by Ariel (new)

Ariel Stirling | 80 comments I love my paper white, as far as I'm concerned it has two flaws: no Goodreads, so I have to use my phone app or the computer to make reading updates, and zero sound, meaning no chance at all of the paper white being blind accessible. If the new one will fix these issues I'll happily upgrade, but I've only had the paper white 6 months so I will likely hold off for a bit longer.
I think buying kindle versions of previously purchased books is a great idea! Just wishing I had bought more of my huge hardbacks from Amazon. It'd be nice to lighten the load on my bookshelves so they'd stop bowing in the middle.

message 16: by Dara (new)

Dara (cmdrdara) | 2693 comments Seawood wrote: "Never seen a Paperwhite in the wild - are they worth the extra?"

Yes. I bought my mum a paperwhite for Christmas last year and it's so nice. It's easier to read on than the regular kindle and fire. I have a fire and its so heavy that it gets uncomfortable.

message 17: by Andreas (new)

Andreas Ariel wrote: "I love my paper white, as far as I'm concerned it has two flaws: no Goodreads"

I think that the software features will come back to your "older" paperwhite at least.

message 18: by AndrewP (new)

AndrewP (andrewca) | 2469 comments I hope this works like the other e-book deals. Buy the Matchbook price e-book and that triggers a whispersync bargain too :)

message 19: by Thomas (new)

Thomas Cardin | 68 comments I love my Paperwhite. It is much more comfortable to read, and I can use a smaller font than I could on the previous kindle.

Signed my books up with Matchbook too. I like that it gives a benefit to paying the slightly higher price of a Createspace POD book. I priced my paperbacks so that the royalty to me is the same either way a reader chooses to read.

message 20: by Seawood (new)

Seawood Ariel wrote: zero sound, meaning no chance at all of th..."

Ah, now that's a big issue for me - I use the text-to-speech a lot and I have a feeling my daughter will too, she's keen on audiobooks for travelling. Could be a deal-breaker, that.

Dara> agreed on the Fire, I hardly read on it at all as I don't like the backlighting. It's a nifty enough tablet but right now I need to have Fire plus 3G keyboard Kindle to do everything I need (ie pretty much entirely replace my dying laptop).

message 21: by Serendi (new)

Serendi | 829 comments I was going to buy the basic Kindle until I tried it out in the store. I'm used to a touchscreen (iPad) and about one minute regressing to a really awkward button setup (used to have an iPaq, then an early Kobo), and I decided to upgrade. Right choice for me, but if I want audio I do have the iPad...

message 22: by Neil (new)

Neil Dara wrote: "Amazon announced Kindle Matchbook today. Starting in October, if you bought one of 10,000 selected titles from Amazon in print, you can buy a Kindle version for $0.99-$2.99. There's no limit to whe..."

Wow. Kindle Matchbook and native Goodreads integration in the new paperwhite is probably going to be enough to get me to switch from Kobo to Kindle... dammit. :)

message 23: by Micah (new)

Micah (onemorebaker) | 1071 comments Neil wrote: "Wow. Kindle Matchbook and native Goodreads integration in the new paperwhite is probably going to be enough to get me to switch from Kobo to Kindle... dammit. :) "

My wife and I are considering it now too. We have had a few Nooks (e-ink ones not tablets) and really like them. But we are also Prime members and now with the Matchbook feature coming online it may be silly not to have a Kindle in the house.