J.D. Robb discussion

Archives > New Agers?

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Valerie (new)

Valerie I'm currently reading Loyalty in Death (and loving it) and there's some interesting info about the New Agers. That's the faith that Peabody comes from. IT's really intriguing stuff. So here's the question: do you think you could be a New Ager? Are there other books in the series that more info about this movement?
Thanks all! This group is the ULT (as Mavis would say ;)

message 2: by Jonetta (new)

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 13389 comments Mod
When I first read about them, I was immediately thrown back to the hippie era of free love, being all things natural but without the heavy influence of the drugs of that time (LSD, heroin).

If I were younger, this concept might be appealing. I'm now too invested in my creature comforts but do like the idea of raising your own food.

message 3: by Valerie (new)

Valerie That's one of the things that attracted me - eating vegetarian and organic, getting back to nature. It's a really interesting sub-culture in the book.

message 4: by Julia (new)

Julia (juliace) I agree w/ Jonetta. If I were younger I think I could give it a try but not now.... to set in my ways.
Although, my cousin and I are looking into splitting a cow....

message 5: by Jonetta (new)

Wow, there's lots you can do with a cow:)

message 6: by Julia (new)

Julia (juliace) That's what we're hoping.....
My sister and one of her co-workers split a cow a couple of years ago and she said she can taste the difference.

message 7: by Jonetta (new)

Very smart investment.

Sorry, Valerie, this is far from vegetarian, which I tried while in college. My problem came when I didn't properly augment my diet with alternate protein sources. But, even today, I don't eat a lot of meat but my husband makes up for what I don't eat:)

message 8: by Sandra (new)

Sandra Hoover (sandrahoover) | 10394 comments Mod
Beef from organically fed cattle is so much better for you..without growth hormones, etc., added to it. We grow a great deal of our own vegetables - pesticide free. We used to raise and process our own meat but don't any more. Buying a side of beef is an economical alternative. I can't go vegetarian but I eat a lot less meat than I used to...mostly chicken and fish.

message 9: by Julia (new)

Julia (juliace) I don't eat alot of red meat, I prefer poultry or fish over beef, but my BF is a HUGE carnivore. I'll probably freeze the majority or give it away.
I would love to try to grow my own veggies but where we are we have hardly any property. We're in Orlando in the attractions area.

message 10: by Sandra (new)

I live out in the country...lots of land for huge gardens. It's a lot of work, actually, but I love it. I like growing things whether it's veggies, herbs, or flowers!

message 11: by Julia (new)

Julia (juliace) I've been trying to get ideas on line and Pinterest (i'm addicted) about containter gardening for veggies...

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Sandra is our Free Ager! LOL

message 13: by Sandra (new)

In some ways, I guess I am!! I'm just a Southern country girl who loves the outdoors, loves growing things - animals & veggies & flowers & ...well you get the picture. I do preserve a lot of our food, but it's just because I grew up that way.

message 14: by Valerie (new)

Valerie That's awesome, Sandra. I joined a community garden about a year ago and have been really surprised by how enjoyable it is. It's very rewarding to see all that stuff just pop out of the ground.

message 15: by Sandra (new)

I love seeing things grow...from the seeds I drop in the earth to big beautiful tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, etc. I'm just a country girl at heart and for real! I love the wide open spaces, clear skies, clean air, & the sound of crickets at night! lol

message 16: by Maggie (new)

Maggie | 1463 comments I think I could become a vegetarian pretty easily except for a few times a year. Would miss my mom's Easter ham, in the summer, a hot dog on the grill and every once in a while I get a craving for a good burger. I would be a good new age baker but can't sew or knit to save my life!
Please excuse my ignorance but I'm a city girl born and raised, I get my milk and hamburger from Stop n Shop. What is splitting a cow? Are buying a cow and splitting the cost or literally "splitting" a cow.

message 17: by Sandra (new)

There are places you can order a "cow" and each take a "side of beef"...as in all the meat if the cow is split up the middle. Meat comes cut up into roasts, steaks, hamburger...usually ever how you order it...and usually already frozen. You just need a freezer to keep it in.

I'm not a vegetarian because even though I love to grow veggies, I hate eating them - or most of them!

message 18: by Maggie (new)

Maggie | 1463 comments Thanks for the explanation.

message 19: by Sandra (new)

Some of the Butcher Shops have this offer. And the price of the meat is lower when you buy this much - it's a lot of beef!

message 20: by Maggie (new)

Maggie | 1463 comments I think I'll keep buying hamburger one package at a time. It would take me a few yrs to eat that much beef. I don't care for stew, roasts, meat sauce and only eat burgers once in a while. I do enjoy sloppy joes, but not half a cows worth! Lol
I have a friend who has 6 in her family and they get meat from the butcher a few times a yr and she had said it's cheaper.

message 21: by Sandra (new)

I hear you! My hubby is a Beef man so I have to cook it often for him. You generally get better cuts of meat from a Butcher Shop than you do the regular grocery store. I buy in quantity and freeze it.

message 22: by Vera (new)

Vera M. | 446 comments I wonder if in the time period of this series if a "country girl" would fit into the free ager category. It's hard to tell since there is a lot of technology things in the book and the viewpoint is big city living.

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

From now on I am going to picture Sunshine weaving baskets between books. B-)

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

Bah. Starshine ... silly phone

message 25: by Sandra (last edited Sep 05, 2013 06:05AM) (new)

ROFLMBO!! Oh my...should I confess that I love the old handcrafts?? I quilt, crochet, embroider, sew, turn pottery, and yes...dare I say it?...I have even made a basket or two! lol

I have a deep love for our heritage and the things from our past that today's "throw away world" seems to know nothing about. Things from the past were made to be functional, yet beautiful and to last. In today's plastic world, it's use it and toss it. No wonder we have a trash problem.

message 26: by Jonetta (new)

Okay, you've been outed. Starshine is a New Ager!

message 27: by Sandra (new)

I guess I better go look up the definition! I could have been a hippie (minus the drugs) but wasn't born in time!

message 28: by Jonetta (new)

Well, there you go! Wear it with pride (really). I wish I had half your talents.

message 29: by Sandra (new)

I do and will...I would suffocate in a large city. Different strokes for different folks! Isn't that what makes this world a great place?!