UK Amazon Kindle Forum discussion

General Chat - anything Goes > Stamps, anyone?

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Elle (new)

Elle (louiselesley) | 7913 comments Does anyone collect stamps?

I asked this in the morning thread but no-one answered. We had a rather rich Uncle who kept up a penpal relationship with my Brother when he was growing up and he was rather obsessed with travelling and stamp collecting. My Brother amassed a huge amount of stamps that he now wants rid off. I've contacted an antiques dealer in town to see if they can help me track down someone to look at them for me but I am willing to give all of them away if they aren't worth anything to any dealers.

message 2: by Karen (new)

Karen Lowe | 2335 comments Might be worth just sending them to auction, Elle. I know stamp collections aren't as popular these days. We've got the usual childhood collections but my mum collected the sets of commemorative stamps for quite a few years - don't think they're even worth face value now!

message 3: by Elle (new)

Elle (louiselesley) | 7913 comments Hmm yeah. Probably will end up doing something like that. I need to sort through them as my Brother for some reason has stuck in a load of Royal Mail ones over the years. Send those along to charity.

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Unfortunately, Philately hasn't increased with the advent of email, it seems.

Shame your uncle wasn't a coin collector. I know the bits and bobs of coins I've inherited and collected have increased in value.

Simon (Highwayman) (highwayman) | 4698 comments What a shame. Stamps have history, geography, art and politics all in one.....

message 6: by ✿Claire✿ (new)

✿Claire✿ (clairelm) | 3055 comments I inherited a stamp collection from my Granddad which I've added to a little bit with commemorative and foreign stamps but not done anything with for a while. I might get it out and have another look when I'm home again, it was quite a therapeutic hobby!