Books on the Nightstand discussion

Booktopia 2014

Comments Showing 1-50 of 54 (54 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Kats (new)

Kats (kats1) | 134 comments Somehow I think that it was early September 2012 when we found out about the Vermont dates for Booktopia 2013, and the two other locations.

Am I too impatient in putting my feelers out there???

It's Wednesday tomorrow, and boy, am I hoping for a BOTNS episode with Michael and Ann annoucing the #BooktopiaVT2014 dates..... giddy with excitement just thinking about it!!

message 2: by Pamela (new)

Pamela | 55 comments Yes, that announcement is a highlight of the year (although I have yet to attend a Booktopia yet!) I sure do hope you make it down here to South Florida sometime in the next few years!

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Have they ever mentioned how they pick the two other locations?

message 4: by Michael (new)

Michael (mkindness) | 537 comments Mod
We made the 2013 announcement at the end Booktopia Santa Cruz, October 21, 2012. We're working on 2014 plans now, and I expect our announcement to come in October again.

So, sit tight for now!

message 5: by Linda (new)

Linda | 2766 comments Mod
Shannon wrote: "Have they ever mentioned how they pick the two other locations?"

Yes, with help from other sales associates from throughout the country who know the independent bookstores from the area. They need to make sure transportation, lodging, and meeting rooms all are available in proximity.

message 6: by Amy (new)

Amy | 463 comments Prairie Lights Bookstore - Iowa City, IA. Centrally located w/i US. 30 minute drive from Cedar Rapids airport, 45 minute drive from Moline,IL/Quad Cities airport. Also, 5 hour drive from St. Louis and Minneapolis, 4 hour drive from Omaha, and 3.5 hour drive from downtown Chicago.

In case you need any suggestions.

message 7: by Sara (new)

Sara (sjhnchi) | 26 comments A suggestion: Left Bank Books in St. Louis, MO.

message 8: by melodie (new)

melodie b | 308 comments ideas nashville tn many book store

message 9: by Karen (new)

Karen Brown (khbrown) | 99 comments I second the suggestion for Nashville (Parnassus Bookstore)!

message 10: by Robin (new)

Robin (mcrobus) | 254 comments I'm in for Nashville. Good food too!

message 11: by Deb (new)

Deb | 38 comments Nashville, TN - great food, parks, .... And that thing called MUSIC .... Plus we have a great friend we could stay with!!!

message 12: by Debbie (new)

Debbie | 261 comments I'll go almost anywhere for Booktopia!

message 13: by Eric (new)

Eric | 1175 comments Mod
I'm more of a Memphis guy than a Nashville guy. But I don't know about the bookstore situation of either city.

message 14: by Ellen (last edited Sep 07, 2013 11:46AM) (new)

Ellen (ellenu-w) | 6 comments Washington D.C. (actually Arlington, VA) at One More Page. Plenty of hotel rooms + metro accessible

http://www.onemorepagebooks.com/home....

message 15: by Pam (new)

Pam Lauman | 99 comments The Tattered Cover in Denver!

message 16: by Clara (last edited Sep 07, 2013 07:24PM) (new)

Clara | 22 comments Joseph Beth Booksellers, Cincinnati, OH

message 17: by Laura (new)

Laura | 9 comments Nashville would be awesome. I just got back from Killer Nashville and they had two bookstores set up at the hotel, one chain (Barnes and Nobles) and one independent (Mysteries & More). Between them they stocked the books of every author attendee and a whole lot of others as well. Mysteries & More also had tons of fun mystery stuff. Great time.

message 18: by Robin (new)

Robin (mcrobus) | 254 comments Love Denver!

message 19: by Juliette (new)

Juliette I would LOVE the Tattered Cover in Denver or Poetry and Prose in DC....or Green Apple Books in San Francisco....but then I'm easy.

message 20: by Ellen (new)

Ellen (ellenu-w) | 6 comments Politics and Prose is a good choice of a classic independent bookstore in DC. So would Busboys and Poets. The one in DC. The Shirlington branch isn't on Metro. And still putting up One More Page Books in Arlington.

message 21: by Ann (new)

Ann (akingman) | 2097 comments Mod
For all of those suggesting locations for future Booktopias, here is the document that we shared with our Random House rep colleagues to brainstorm possible locations. We rely heavily on our colleagues, who work with the stores and live near the cities, to advise us. You might find these requirements helpful to your brainstorming -- they are mostly non-negotiable, especially the part of about lodging, meeting spaces and bookstore being walking distance:

What makes a good Booktopia location:
• Enthusiastic bookstore partner.
• Bookstore able to handle event with 125+ attendees on Saturday night.
• Proximity to affordable lodging for 90-100 guests. Approximately 60 rooms. We do prefer independently owned inns or hotels, but that is not a requirement.
• We will require 3 meeting spaces from about 12-5 on Friday and 9-5 (flexible) on Saturday. Previous Booktopia events have utilized bookstore space, and also rooms in churches, museums, art galleries, inns and hotels. These spaces should be near the bookstore. We will have a small budget to rent some of the spaces if necessary. Any assistance from our partner bookstore in finding and securing these spaces would be most greatly appreciated, as we are likely not familiar with the town.
• Space for a Friday evening kickoff/launch party. This could be at the partner inn/hotel, at a restaurant, bar, or other interesting venue. In Oxford, MS, we held the kickoff party on the grounds of William Faulkner’s house.
• Sunday morning event/closing at bookstore; this can also be open to the public if bookstore wishes to promote.
• Bookstore, lodging, and all other venues within walking distance to each other.
• Selection of dining options at various budgets. 100 people breaking for lunch and dinner at the same time can be problematic if choice is too limited.

message 22: by Ann (new)

PS: Please don't approach any bookstores about this. We'll handle those discussions. thanks.

message 23: by Amy (new)

Amy | 463 comments Amy wrote: "Prairie Lights Bookstore - Iowa City, IA. Centrally located w/i US. 30 minute drive from Cedar Rapids airport, 45 minute drive from Moline,IL/Quad Cities airport. Also, 5 hour drive from St. Louis ..."

And 10 minutes drive from my house ;)

I think all of points for brainstorming posted would be met at Prairie Lights, however there isn't a lot of independently owned lodging within walking distance, but there is plenty of lodging within walking distance. Also, not sure if the owners of the bookstore are "enthusiastic", but I am sure the Random House reps for the area would know ;)

message 24: by Catherine (new)

Catherine (kittywren) | 23 comments Boulder Bookstore in Boulder Colorado has a wonderful area for discussions & events. It is on the Pearl Street Mall, a pedestrian mall with restaurants, shopping and many hotels in the area. Also it has been a staple in Boulder since the 1970's.

message 25: by Robin (new)

Robin (mcrobus) | 254 comments Do you know with Boulder bookstore survived flooding?

message 26: by Catherine (new)

Catherine (kittywren) | 23 comments Robin wrote: "Do you know with Boulder bookstore survived flooding?" I don't know, but have just Tweeted them to find out and will let you know.

message 27: by Catherine (new)

Catherine (kittywren) | 23 comments Robin wrote: "Do you know with Boulder bookstore survived flooding?" Just heard from Boulder Book Store, they were very lucky just minor roof leaks, no flooding.

message 28: by Kalen (last edited Sep 17, 2013 03:31PM) (new)

Kalen | 218 comments This is what I received from one of my sales reps:

>Arsen told me that aside from a few leaks in the roof, and a couple of employees who could not get to work from places like Longmont, the Boulder Bookstore was unaffected. Susie at Old Firehouse said pretty much the same thing, adding that all the roads into Ft. Collins were blocked for a while.

>The MacDonald Book Shop in Estes Park was the most threatened (they are near the confluence of two creeks) but they came out pretty well too. The log cabin, they are in was built at the turn of the last century. In those days they built houses about two feet off the ground. As a result, the only inventory Paula lost was a few magazines in the entryway at the bottom of the stairs. Now the worry is: how long will it be before the highways (36 & 34) reopen, and tourists return to Estes Park? Right now, I gather, the only way in and out of Estes Park is highway 7.

(If you are so inclined to make purchases from any of these stores, I'm sure it would be appreciated. Estes Park in particular will be feeling the impact of this storm for a long time to come.)

message 29: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckymurr) | 494 comments Now that Northshire Bookstore has a location in Saratoga Springs, NY, would you consider that location?

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

I would go crazy to have a Booktopia here in Richmond, VA - Fountain Bookstore would be fantastic, though the 125 people might be a bit of a squeeze for that sweet store.

message 31: by Catherine (new)

Catherine (kittywren) | 23 comments Kalen wrote: "This is what I received from one of my sales reps:

>Arsen told me that aside from a few leaks in the roof, and a couple of employees who could not get to work from places like Longmont, the Boulde..."

Kalen wrote: "This is what I received from one of my sales reps:

>Arsen told me that aside from a few leaks in the roof, and a couple of employees who could not get to work from places like Longmont, the Boulde..."<

Kalen, thank you for the update, it is important that we continue to support our indy's during this 100 year flood occurrance. It would be great if any online purchasing could be made through the books stores hit the hardest. I will be looking at MacDonald Book Shop for purchases I want to make now.

message 32: by Catherine (new)

Catherine (kittywren) | 23 comments Kalen, thank you for the update. Itis important we continue to support our indy's during this 100 year flood occurance. It would be great if any online purchasing could be made through the book stores hit the hardest. I will be looking at MacDonald Book Shop fur purchases I want to make now.

message 33: by Keetha Mosley (new)

Keetha Mosley | 44 comments My suggestion is Turnrow Books in Greenwood, Mississippi. It's an indie bookstore located downtown in a Mississippi Delta town. There is a boutique hotel, The Alluvian, down the street and restaurants and shops in the neighborhood.

Franklin (suburb of Nashville, Tenn.) would be another great spot! I'd love to go back to Oxford, Miss., too. Just maybe not in June. :-)

message 34: by [deleted user] (new)

Keetha wrote: "My suggestion is Turnrow Books in Greenwood, Mississippi. It's an indie bookstore located downtown in a Mississippi Delta town. There is a boutique hotel, The Alluvian, down the street and restaura..."

I agree, Oxford in June was nice but stifling hot. Though I can't imagine the scene in town during football season.

message 35: by Robin (new)

Robin (mcrobus) | 254 comments Thanks to all for updates on Colorado bookstores.

message 36: by melodie (new)

melodie b | 308 comments nashville tn

message 37: by Linda (new)

Kats wrote: "Somehow I think that it was early September 2012 when we found out about the Vermont dates for Booktopia 2013, and the two other locations.

Am I too impatient in putting my feelers out there??? ..."

Actually, Kats, if my faulty memory serves me, Ann and Michael made the announcement at Booktopia Santa Cruz and then to the rest of the BOTNS world later that afternoon. I remember this partially because I stopped on the way to San Francisco to call the Inn at Manchester for my reservation. Booktopia Santa Cruz was Oct. 19-21, 2012.

message 38: by Lisa R. (new)

Lisa R. | 43 comments Becky wrote: "Now that Northshire Bookstore has a location in Saratoga Springs, NY, would you consider that location?"

That would be wonderful! I live close by there. Last night Northshire Bookstore hosted Louise Penny at The Holiday Inn. The audience was able to listen and ask questions followed by an opportinity to have your book (s) signed. The event was well organized and there are enough hotels in the area to accommodate the crowd:)

message 39: by Ann (new)

We would definitely consider Northshire Saratoga, but not for 2014. I would never inflict Booktopia madness on a brand new bookstore with a brand new staff :)

message 40: by Lisa R. (new)

Lisa R. | 43 comments Maybe for 2015.

message 41: by melodie (new)

melodie b | 308 comments in nashville there a great used book store mckay we have booka million In mt juliet to

message 42: by Sue (new)

Sue Habib | 2 comments Ann- we have an incredible independent bookseller in metro Kansas City. Rainy Day Books. http://www.rainydaybooks.com/ They are very active in the community, and bring in an amazing variety of authors. As such, they are very familiar with finding local venues to fit the appropriate size of their events. You might check them out. It would be lovely to have a Booktopia in KC.

message 43: by Michael (new)

Michael (mkindness) | 537 comments Mod
Suzanne wrote: "I agree, Oxford in June was nice but stifling hot. Though I can't imagine the scene in town during football season."

Suzanne has hit on another one of our goals for Booktopia: going to a location during its shoulder season. This has two benefits: it brings business to town in what otherwise might be a quieter time, and it allows for more affordable lodging.

As someone who sweats easily, Oxford in June was not my favorite, but at least it wasn't July or August!

message 44: by Linda (last edited Sep 20, 2013 02:45PM) (new)

Michael wrote: "Suzanne wrote: "I agree, Oxford in June was nice but stifling hot. Though I can't imagine the scene in town during football season."

Suzanne has hit on another one of our goals for Booktopia: goin..."

When Oxford was announced, Michael, I said, "I'm not doing Mississippi in June." Well, as you know, the call of Booktopia is evidently stronger than my aversion to heat. I don't remember the heat being stifling - especially since most of our meetings were in air conditioning.

message 45: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckymurr) | 494 comments Ann wrote: "We would definitely consider Northshire Saratoga, but not for 2014. I would never inflict Booktopia madness on a brand new bookstore with a brand new staff :)"

I agree!! lol

message 46: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckymurr) | 494 comments Lisa R. wrote: "Becky wrote: "Now that Northshire Bookstore has a location in Saratoga Springs, NY, would you consider that location?"

That would be wonderful! I live close by there. Last night Northshire Books..."

I live close by too & I was able to attend their pre-opening event with Neil Gaiman & I have a ticket to see Anne Rice also!

message 47: by Ann (new)

Becky, I'll be at the Anne Rice event! hope to see you.

message 48: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckymurr) | 494 comments Ann wrote: "Becky, I'll be at the Anne Rice event! hope to see you."

Oh how awesome!! That would be great!!

message 49: by Julianna (new)

Julianna Pfingstler | 2 comments When do the data/locales for the upcoming Booktopias typically get announced?

message 50: by Linda (last edited Sep 21, 2013 01:28PM) (new)

Julianna wrote: "When do the data/locales for the upcoming Booktopias typically get announced?"

Michael wrote: "We made the 2013 announcement at the end Booktopia Santa Cruz, October 21, 2012. We're working on 2014 plans now, and I expect our announcement to come in October again.

So, sit tight for now!"

« previous 1