YA Book Council discussion

Official Selections > Forest of Hands & Teeth

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jane (new)

Jane (janeg) | 248 comments Mod
This book was very disappointing for many reasons, so we're changing to another one (you'll find it on the main page).

message 2: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 1 comments I loved this book, honestly. I thought it was really clever.

message 3: by Alethea (new)

Alethea A (frootjoos) | 246 comments Mod
Well, read it if you will. I wanted to like it. But I couldn't connect with any of the characters. I get the same disconnected feeling while reading Blue Bloods.

message 4: by Susan (new)

Susan | 2 comments I found this to be a quick read and at times it was very suspenseful. However, I was very disappointed in the lack of closure and the ending. So much so that the entire experience was ruined for me. There is a unspoken promise between the author and the reader to give enough information for the reader to flesh out the story (and I have read Victorian literature, as well as Shakespeare...so I am not asking for everything to be completely black and white). This book didn't offer explanations or even hints about many many aspects of the story. Please...do not waste your precious reading time with this book.

message 5: by Jane (new)

I have a feeling that the author held back just so a sequel could be written.

message 6: by Susan (new)

Susan | 2 comments I had heard discussion about that at BEA. But I think you need to make sure you give your readers what they want in the first book before you start planning a second.

message 7: by Julie (new)

Julie S. That's true. You need substance in each book of a series.

It seems like I'm alone here, but I actually thought that it was OK. Sure, Mary was not the most likable character, but I thought the world was good. It's not the best zombie book out there, but it was not awful.

The only thing that I did not like about this was the random romance that she had with Travis. She said many times that she loved him intensely, but I never understood this love. They barely ever spent any time together even when they get stuck in the same house to avoid the zombies. So, needless to say, I was not convinced on that part since it seemed like it was added as an afterthought.

Will I read the second book? Not if I have to purchase it, but I would probably read it if the library gets it.

message 8: by Jane (new)

Julie wrote: "That's true. You need substance in each book of a series.

It seems like I'm alone here, but I actually thought that it was OK. Sure, Mary was not the most likable character, but I thought the wo..."

Yay for libraries! I'd read the second one only if someone I trust recommends it.