Amazon Kindle discussion

Device Related > Kindle Matchbook Program

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by D.J. (new)

D.J. Edwardson Amazon just announced the Kindle Matchbook Program, offering the digital versions of book for between $2.99 and free (the publisher/author can set any price in that range).

Here is the Amazon page for the Matchbook Program:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html...

I didn't see this coming, but it's great news for readers who want the best of both worlds.

message 2: by Jason (new)

Jason (foreverjuly) | 41 comments It is a great way to pick up both versions at once. I can't say I saw it coming, but the option to buy audiobooks and their ebook versions together at a discount is a clear precedent. We'll have to see how many people find themselves wanting a particular book in multiple formats.

message 3: by Betsy (new)

Betsy Interesting. I'm not sure how successful it will be. I currently buy most books for kindle already. For those I bought before the kindle came out, I've likely already read most of them. This would be great for those that I haven't read, depending on the price, and for the few I'd like to read again, but I wonder how many that will really be in the long run.

message 4: by D.J. (new)

D.J. Edwardson I also wonder if this might not drive up the price of print books. If publishers know you are getting the digital version as well, they might just up the price of the hard back. It would be more like the digital copies they throw in with Blu-rays and DVDs, where hard copies are seen more as a "bundled" product.

message 5: by Lara Amber (last edited Sep 06, 2013 12:16PM) (new)

Lara Amber (laraamber) | 42 comments Well if it's only Amazon doing it (you had to buy the original with them), I think they are eating the price difference and the publisher won't have a reason to chance prices.

I did kinda go "damn it!" when I saw this since I had already repurchased quite a few books over the years. Like volumes 1-8 of Wheel of Time and a ton of Robin Hobb novels. I do see this aimed at the people who are "switching over" or tempted to switch over. I hope that when this goes live they send out emails or give you a landing page where you can see what books you personally have available to you based on Amazon purchase history.

message 6: by Anika (new)

Anika (teddybear1) | 84 comments I this is a great idea, I also see that they made improvements to the Paperwhite so a new version is coming out.

message 7: by D.J. (new)

D.J. Edwardson The way it works is the publisher just sets a price for the digital copy, $2.99, $1.99, $0.99, or free, just as long as it's less than the Kindle version.

So if I were a publisher and I wanted to put my $14.99 book into the Matchbook program, I could simply change the price to $17.99 and then give the Kindle copy away for "free", essentially covering my losses. It's really up to the publisher, however, so we'll see how things pan out.

I do think readers stand to benefit quite a bit from this, in general, however.

message 8: by Len (new)

Len Edgerly (lenedgerly) | 2 comments I have bought a lot of p-books from Amazon, so I will be very interested to see which of them will be available for discount eBook purchase through this new program!

message 9: by Elie (new)

Elie Harriett This is great! While not every book I purchase I have to decide if I want a paper book or an ebook, but there's enough that this can really make my decision easier.

message 10: by Lara Amber (new)

Lara Amber (laraamber) | 42 comments DJ,

Except that the publisher doesn't get to pick the price for the paper book. They pick the price they charge resellers, and the they put a MSRP on it, but Amazon will still deeply discount from that to make sure they are top of the market. And since only Amazon purchasers will have the matchbook option, there will be pressure to not increase prices since every other vendor will go "what the hell" at price increases. Not to mention that would make Kindle users less likely to buy the book copy if the price shoots up "wait I can get the book copy for $18 and get a 'free' digital copy or I can pay $6 and just get the digital..."

message 11: by Helen (new)

Helen Think I've only bought two paper backs from Amazon. Lots of duplicates though.

message 12: by Sophia (new)

Sophia (sophiaburns) | 1 comments I'm very curious about this matchbook program. Over the years I bought hundreds of books from Amazon. Problem is I moved around a bit and bought them from at least 4 different stores - Amazon USA, Canada, UK and Germany.
Currently I live in Canada and my Kindle is registered here as well, but I bought the least amount of physical books here.
Is there any indication if their matchbook program is only available to the country your Kindle is registered to, or will ANY book be available no matter which Amazon store you bought it from?

message 13: by Lara Amber (new)

Lara Amber (laraamber) | 42 comments Matchbook is up and running.

message 14: by Paul (new)

Paul (paullev) | 107 comments Sophia wrote: "I'm very curious about this matchbook program. Over the years I bought hundreds of books from Amazon. Problem is I moved around a bit and bought them from at least 4 different stores - Amazon USA, Canada, UK and Germany.
Currently I live in Canada and my Kindle is registered here as well, but I bought the least amount of physical books here.
Is there any indication if their matchbook program is only available to the country your Kindle is registered to, or will ANY book be available no matter which Amazon store you bought it from? "

Here's what it says on the Amazon page for my novel, Unburning Alexandria -

If you buy a new print edition of this book (or purchased one in the past), you can buy the Kindle edition for only $1.99 (Save 60%). Print edition purchase must be sold by Amazon.

So books bought in the past do count, but no mention if that applies to books bought in different countries.

message 15: by Richard (last edited Nov 07, 2013 01:04AM) (new)

Richard Knaak (richardknaak) | 5 comments It seems to be working well. I've had people follow up on the three books I already have available through that program.

message 16: by Harmony (new)

Harmony Kent (harmonyk) I have immediately offered digital copies of my ebook for free on the matchbook program. Paper books are so much more expensive for people to buy, so I figured this is one way I can give something back when they buy one of my paperbacks. As a reader, I use both paper and ebooks interchangeably - and have some books duplicated between formats - so this program is good news for me :)

message 17: by Andrei (new)

Andrei Pogorilowski (pogorilowski) | 9 comments I did the same thing!