City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1) City of Bones discussion

Thoughts on the movie?!?!

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lex (last edited Sep 03, 2013 07:18AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lex Mori The film did not stay true to the book. All of the big moments, as well as the ending, were completely different, the sequence of events was all jacked up, and Valentine was just a ruthless murderer and not the diplomatic, intelligent guy he should have been. They also gave away one of the biggest secrets of the whole series in the middle of the first film!
I thought the casting was great, except I thought the way they depicted Magnus and Isabelle were almost totally off. Loved Jamie as Jace and Robert as Simon. Kevin made a better Alec than I'd anticipated. The costumes, cgi, and settings were perfect. I pretty much loved everything save for the screenplay. The woman who wrote it should be fired. To be honest, I wholeheartedly believe this series could have been the next huge epic had they stayed true to the book.

Samantha The Escapist Actually, Lex, I agree with you for the most part. I have some strongly mixed feelings about Clare's writing but the series' story overall is an engaging one.

That said, I'll never begrudge a movie for taking creative lisence to tell a long story in a shorter way (if a platonic slow dance between two friends set to a Nick Cave song makes up for multiple chapters of being on the road alone like in The Deathly Hallows, more power to them) So choices about changing the order of the storyline aren't necessarilly always a bad thing.

Also about the spoiler they revealed in the first movie, it's dodgy in case some people are seeing the movie before they continue the books, but otherwise a sound choice. A lot of people abandoned the books because of that and the movies simply couldn't afford to lose viewership over something like that. Movie fans, overall, are nowhere NEAR as loyal as book fans simply because reading someone's book is far more intimate. I think it's funny, but then I never thought that `twist` was very clever in the first place, just a vehicle to Clare's odd fetish.

I thought the Portal was ridiculous though. Lol.

Lamidri: it's okay, visually and tonally it did a good job, the acting was serviceable and the writing was at times atrocious and at others snappy. Take it or leave it, it tried. I do have to say though, that there were many many times I found myself laughing at parts that weren't supposed to be funny which is probably not the desired affect.

message 3: by Lex (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lex Mori Samantha The Escapist wrote: "Actually, Lex, I agree with you for the most part. I have some strongly mixed feelings about Clare's writing but the series' story overall is an engaging one.

That said, I'll never begrudge a movi..."

I agree about the spoiler bit, and for the most part, I know they have to cut a few things or change them to fit a 500 page book into a 2 hour film. However, some things didn't make sense. Why have the vampire put something in Simon's drink when they just kidnap him anyway? What was the point if he doesn't even change? And I agree, the portal was definitely interesting. Though Valentine never would have fallen for that little trick Jace used on the film Valentine.
Overall, I just really wanted something smoother. I felt the film was very ADD and just made the book look bad.

Jane Wayland A mi la película me gustó, pero no me pareció, ni por asomo, una gran adaptación. Lo que es la primera mitad de la película se mantiene "más o menos" fiel al libro, y de ahí no tengo ninguna queja, excepto como han hecho lo de la fiesta de Magnus. Y luego si que he de comentar que me ha faltado ver el carruaje de los Hermanos silenciosos. Creo que ese habría podido ser un detalle que hubiese quedado realmente bien en la película. Ahora bien, pasada la primera mitad de la película la cosa se complica. El gran final no es ni por asomo igual o realmente fiel al libro. Si bien han captado un poco de la esencia del libro, a mí como adaptación no me ha logrado gustar. A todo esto debemos añadirle el que los spoilers de lo que va ha pasar en los siguientes dos libros no sobran. Lo dejan todo al descubierto, y la verdad es que hubiera estado bien que esto se mantuviera en secreto para que fuera más fiel.
Resumiendo, como película es entretenida, pero como adaptación no acaba de dar el pego. Aún así recomiendo verla, ya que nunca esta de más tener una opinión propia.

Ms. Twilight Twilight loved it jamie campbell bower totally hot

Goddess Of Blah Samantha The Escapist wrote: "Actually, Lex, I agree with you for the most part. I have some strongly mixed feelings about Clare's writing but the series' story overall is an engaging one.

That said, I'll never begrudge a movi..."

I agree with you Samantha.

I just re-read the book today and I'm glad the movie changed many parts of the book (particularly many of the religion references).

I also agree that the "spoiler" was predictable anyway so I;'m glad the movie did away with it. But I do think they rushed it and it ought to have been longer. Some of Jace's sarcastic comments were completely removed or re-told in scenes that don't really make sense (e.g. when Clary asks if he's gonna tear his shirt).

message 7: by Davey (last edited Sep 09, 2013 07:46PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Davey Kirk Lex wrote: "The film did not stay true to the book. All of the big moments, as well as the ending, were completely different, the sequence of events was all jacked up, and Valentine was just a ruthless murdere..."

So I read your review before I saw the movie determined that you should be wrong, well I saw it today and you were totally right! I liked the cast but, the screen play was horrible!! I took my sister who did not read the books and, she was so confused. I understand making changes for a movie but, at least keep the essence of the story and stay true to the story line! Ugh I was so frustrated. I am so confused on what's going to happen in the second movie.

Davey Kirk Lex wrote: "Samantha The Escapist wrote: "Actually, Lex, I agree with you for the most part. I have some strongly mixed feelings about Clare's writing but the series' story overall is an engaging one.

That sa..."

Agree

SpookySoto I accept most of the changes, the first half of the movie was great, and I don't mind that they revealed the "spoiler". For me the worst part was the changes made to Valentine, his motives (they're never explained) and personality. I think the vampire part was not necessary, because it didn't contribute to the story they were telling, and just made the movie more confusing. I also didn't like the actor who plays Jace,I don't find him attractive. Overall I gave the movie 5/10

message 10: by Nurlely (last edited Sep 08, 2013 11:14PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nurlely The movie was far from great. There were no sarcasm from Jace to make me laugh. Jace was not funny and Jamie's sarcasm delivering was poorly flat.
Isabelle was less pretty and attractive than Clary, which contradicts the story. Alec was not stunningly handsome and way too old than the book.

And Valentine? The scary and stern Valentine has changed into an angrily screaming old teenager. The braids? Why didn't they insert Jack Sparrow into the story instead?

I love TMI but the movie is rather disappointing.

Koleen Hansen September 9,20013
To whom may concern:

I had enjoyed watching the film I even went and watch it twice in movie theater and I don't go watch movie because I dislike movie theater I find the sound system to laud for my ears. my sister is the same way
but we both endured the sound system. because we want more movie of the mortal instruments series.

Best respectfully koleen

Zhanaestilinski I mostly laughed through half of the parts that I wasn't completely shaken up about. I was not prepared for Dorothea ( I feel like I'm spelling it wrong).
Things I hated.
1. The garden scene... How cliche and cheesy can you get?
2. Valentine's dread locks...I told myself I wouldn't mind but they were just...THERE. Seriously, let's not dye his hair but instead, let's slap those on there? NO.
3.Clary, clary everywhere...to be honest I never liked her as the main character. Also, I took a sip of my drink every time she tripped. My bladder suffered that night.
4. The exchange between Valentine and Hodge...it was great until Hodge says that one thing about lying about you know what. The you know what that it took readers three books to figure out but the general audience got to know in three seconds. WTF!?? Screw you scriptwriters.
5. Magnus...it absolutely kills me to say I did not like this guy. This was not Magnus Bane. Sure he looked the part--the guy was GORGEOUS. But it looked like the editor dubbed some other guy's voice over Godfrey's lines and it just didn't work. Compared to the other actors he was weak and I was expecting him to steal the show.
Things I loved
1. Alec...just wow. I really didn't appreciate his character until now. Thank you for putting Clary in her place. Also, he was pretty sexy and I cried a little when he was poisoned.
2. Simon...'nuff said.

Reanna Inglis I really loved the movie. I thought Lily Collins portrayed Clary perfectly but I think both Jace and Alec were very different than the books.

message 14: by Desi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Desi I think the movie would be great if one did not read the books, but because I read the books, I was a little upset and they gave Valentine a fake Mortal Cup!!! How would that tie into the next movie? It kind of just ruined it a little bit. Aside from that horrible mistake, I thought the movie was okay, not what I expected, but it was pretty good.