Goodreads Sci-Fi/Fantasy Authors discussion

The future of what we now call tablets

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Karen (new)

Karen A. Wyle (kawyle) | 38 comments I'm looking for opinions (or clairvoyance!): in 30 or 40 years, will there still be a distinction between phones and tablets? If so, will we still speak of "tablets," as we still speak of "phones," or will there be some other term? If so, what might it be?

Thanks!

message 2: by Marc (new)

Marc (authorguy) | 97 comments I've heard them called slates in some stories, with phone, credit card, and biometric uses. Tanya Huff used them in her Confederation of Valor series.

message 3: by Charles (new)

Charles (kainja) | 73 comments I suspect we'll see phones doing all of that, with the ability to dock into bigger systems, such as tablets or home computers if you need bigger screens.

message 4: by Nerine (new)

Nerine Dorman (nerinedorman) I got told by a colleague the other day that my phone's a new breed of device called a "phablet" (and there I was going for plain old smartphone).

My feeling is things are moving so fast it's hard to say what we'll be using in the future or indeed whether we'll even still have an external device. I've already heard they're looking at contact lenses...

message 5: by Dave (new)

Dave (dcr_writes) | 14 comments I think that as long as people physically hold the phone to their heads, the two will be separate.

I have a 10.1" tablet, and it's too small for some of the things I want to do, but it's far too big to use as a phone.

message 6: by Kevis (last edited Jan 21, 2014 12:14AM) (new)

Kevis Hendrickson (kevishendrickson) | 71 comments The future of the tablet will be direct digital information download/communication into a person's brain. At some point humans and computers will be one and the same. No need for handheld devices. It's just a matter of time...

message 7: by Paul (new)

Paul Vincent (astronomicon) | 8 comments Once they sort out resizeable screens or holograph style projection then it won't matter how big the device is as the screen will be as large as you want it to be for whatever you're doing with it. I don't think we'll see routine direct neural connection within the next 30 years. It's phenomenally complicated and well beyond our technology.

message 8: by Paul (new)

Paul Vincent (astronomicon) | 8 comments Dave wrote: "I think that as long as people physically hold the phone to their heads, the two will be separate.

I have a 10.1" tablet, and it's too small for some of the things I want to do, but it's far too b..."

Just use a bluetooth headset for calls.

message 9: by Melinda (new)

Melinda Brasher | 13 comments As long as it doesn't all implode on itself by 30 years from now, I think it'll be along the lines of super smart phones that do everything and have holographic keyboards or neural links or something.