Romance Audiobooks discussion

Archives > September 2013 Romance Listening

Comments Showing 1-50 of 128 (128 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

Lea's Audiobooks Hensley (leahensleysaudiobooks) Looks like it's time for a new thread. I'm listening to Mary Balogh's More Than a Mistress narrated by Rosalyn Landor. It's actually a relisten for me. Rosalyn Landor gets the Duke's character so completely and that includes a lot of humor.

message 2: by Ancientpeas (new)

Ancientpeas | 301 comments I am starting the third Nice girls book by Molly Parker. So far I enjoying this series. It's very light and frothy. My only complaint? Why do authors feel the need to make family members over the top bad? It's like they expect the reader to have no sense of nuance or subtlety. You don't really need to hit me up side the head with how awful her sister and grandmother are. I get it, they are awful. Other than that I think the series is fun.

Got my preorder in for Thankless in Death but it's not getting good reviews. :-( I'm also waiting for the pre-order to come up for Archangel's Legion.

KMM just pushed back the release date for Burned to July 2014. And who knows when The Winds of Winter will be out. I hate waiting. I only started the fever series because I thought it was done and I only read Game of Thrones to satisfy my friends who wanted to discuss the books. I'm not unhappy I read the series but when authors take forever to publish and keep pushing back dates it gets annoying.

Wow..maybe I'm cranky today.

message 3: by D.G. (new)

D.G. | 1329 comments Yay! I got my pre-order of Untouchable (Immortals After Dark, #8) by Kresley Cole . Too bad I started another book yesterday...if not I'd be all over that puppy. ;)

message 4: by Sue (last edited Sep 06, 2013 12:10PM) (new)

Sue | 1116 comments Listening to Hard Evidence been doing alot of historicals in the last month. Definitely needed to shift gears a bit so I don't wear out one genre over another.

I am finding Tessa inconsistent though, one minute all soft (too soft) and the next strong and brave. Julian... now he sounds and acts just as he should no complaints with Kaleo Griffith's narration, great as always.

Updated 9/6/2013: I loved it, Julian really was a great hero. Tessa finally grew a backbone, so I'm good... she was a little annoying in the beginning (She kept going from Soft to Brave... a little inconsistent, but she grew with the story). Kaleo Griffith's narration a solid 5.

message 5: by Cm (new)

Cm | 11 comments Just listened to Hunter's Heart - the 4th Alpha Pack novel. I really enjoyed it. I really like that series

message 6: by D.G. (new)

D.G. | 1329 comments I couldn't help myself...I started Untouchable (Immortals After Dark, #8) by Kresley Cole . Love you, Robert Petkoff!!

message 7: by Gabriella (new)

Gabriella | 18 comments I've started Styxx (Dark-Hunter, #23) by Sherrilyn Kenyon , read by Fred Berman.

message 8: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Golden | 453 comments D.G. wrote: "I couldn't help myself...I started Untouchable (Immortals After Dark, #8) by Kresley Cole. Love you, Robert Petkoff!!"

I haven't started the series yet, but I listened to Petkoff's voice. It is awesome.

message 9: by Kathy (last edited Sep 06, 2013 12:09PM) (new)

Kathy Golden | 453 comments I'm listening to Never Seduce A Scot by Maya Banks and already planning on listening to the second book.
Never Seduce a Scot by Maya Banks

message 10: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 535 comments I have all of her highlander books, except the last one which hasn't been released. They are all really good, but my favorite remains In Bed with a Highlander.

message 11: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 535 comments So, someone here recommended The Prince of Midnight a few days ago. I quickly became addicted to Laura Kinsale's writing and Nicholas Boulton's narration. I just finished the fourth, and last available at this time, and must thank the person who set me on this path. My favorite was The Prince of Midnight, followed by Flowers from the Storm, then Dream Hunter and lastly Midsummer Moon. These are all on sale at Audible.

message 12: by Lea's Audiobooks (last edited Sep 06, 2013 01:01PM) (new)

Lea's Audiobooks Hensley (leahensleysaudiobooks) Dawn wrote: "So, someone here recommended The Prince of Midnight a few days ago. I quickly became addicted to Laura Kinsale's writing and Nicholas Boulton's narration. I just finished the fourth, and last avail..."

So glad to hear it Dawn!! Although I have raved about Kinsale's books, I know I'm not the only one. :)

Her fifth was released in the last couple of days - My Sweet Folly and I'm already deep into it and loving, loving it. Also, over at Speaking of Audiobooks, I proclaimed just last week (http://bit.ly/15bHefc) that Flowers from the Storm was simply one of the best audios - ever - and that's more than ten years of romance listening. It ties with Diana Gabaldon's Outlander.

message 13: by D.G. (new)

D.G. | 1329 comments Oh I have The Prince of Midnight. I really need to get it started!

message 14: by Lea's Audiobooks (new)

Lea's Audiobooks Hensley (leahensleysaudiobooks) D.G. wrote: "Oh I have The Prince of Midnight. I really need to get it started!"

You do, you do!!

message 15: by Sue (new)

Sue | 1116 comments Time for Slow Heat in Heaven narrated by one of my favorites, Dick Hill. Balancing a thriller with this one (Running Blind)... wanted a whispersync title so I could balance the need for headphones.

message 16: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 535 comments Lea's Audiobooks wrote: "Dawn wrote: "So, someone here recommended The Prince of Midnight a few days ago. I quickly became addicted to Laura Kinsale's writing and Nicholas Boulton's narration. I just finished the fourth, a..."

Lea's Audiobooks wrote: "Dawn wrote: "So, someone here recommended The Prince of Midnight a few days ago. I quickly became addicted to Laura Kinsale's writing and Nicholas Boulton's narration. I just finished the fourth, a..."

Oh, I really do agree about Flwers from the Storm...Ms Kinsale's stories have the rare ability to make me laugh, cry and sit on the edge of my seat, all within a couple of minutes.

message 17: by Lee (new)

Lee | 484 comments So I wanted to check out a Pamela Clare book and the first to fall in my lap was contemporary, Extreme Exposure , the first I-Team book. I realize now I should have started with the historical Surrender.

While Extreme Exposure was ok and Kaleo Griffith's narration was very good, the story was not all that interesting. Pretty predictable and a bit bland. I kept cringing when Kara, a supposed experienced investigative reporter, made so many bone head mistakes and errors in judgement. And much as I liked Reese, I kept thinking "Is this a male Mary Sue"? Was it awful? No. Just not as good as expected. Surrender is on my wish list and I may even revisit the I-Team series eventually.

On to The Darkest Hour

message 18: by Lea's Audiobooks (new)

Lea's Audiobooks Hensley (leahensleysaudiobooks) Lee wrote: "So I wanted to check out a Pamela Clare book and the first to fall in my lap was contemporary, Extreme Exposure , the first I-Team book. I realize now I should have started with the historical Sur..."

I have now listened to the entire I-Team series and although I enjoyed all, I thought Extreme Exposure the blandest of the series. Books 3,4, & 5 are the best IMHO. And they don't have to be read in order. Or at least, I didn't.

message 19: by Sue (new)

Sue | 1116 comments Lee wrote: "So I wanted to check out a Pamela Clare book and the first to fall in my lap was contemporary, Extreme Exposure , the first I-Team book. I realize now I should have started with the historical Sur
On to The Darkest Hour... ..."

Loved 'The Darkest Hour' in print, I'll watch for your comment on it... it's on my wish list. BTW, the I-Team only gets better... but I will say it's nothing like KGI.

message 20: by D.G. (last edited Sep 09, 2013 03:31AM) (new)

D.G. | 1329 comments #3 is the absolute best in the I-Team series.

I think #3, 4 & 5 have to be read in order. You would get spoilers #3 if you read #5 or #4 first.

But #1 almost has nothing to do with the series. Those people almost don't show up again!

Re #2, I liked Julian but Tessa drove me up a wall.

message 21: by Lee (new)

Lee | 484 comments I knew if so many people liked the I-team series it couldn't be bad. Thanks for the encouragement. I believe I have a reader's form of OCD- if possible I MUST read a series in order ;-)

message 22: by Lea's Audiobooks (new)

Lea's Audiobooks Hensley (leahensleysaudiobooks) D.G. wrote: "#3 is the absolute best in the I-Team series.

I think #3, 4 & 5 have to be read in order. You would get spoilers #3 if you read #5 or #4 first.

But #1 almost has nothing to do with the series. Th..."

You are right on all counts! I had read book 4 (forgot that little tidbit) so I truly didn't listen out of order! Feeling sheepish....

Book 3 my fave as well. I couldn't get into Kaleo's performance of the heroine in Book 2.

message 23: by Sue (new)

Sue | 1116 comments I have to agree Tessa from book 2 was less than stellar, but Julian...*sigh*. I'm excited to read the rest based on these comments.

message 24: by ElaineY (new)

ElaineY I was so excited to see that Audible is releasing Joey W Hill's Nature of Desire series...

...but when I heard the sample of the narrator they chose, I doubt I will buy any even though Ice Queen and Mirror of My Soul remain my all-time favorite erotic romances. Maxine Mitchell's voice is high and a little squeaky. More suited to narrating little kids' books than a BDSM series!

I have most of the books in tradeback as well as e-format and I would have loved to have the audio. I wonder who does the choosing of narrators at Audible.

message 25: by Angie (new)

Angie (angiemb) | 415 comments ElaineY wrote: "I was so excited to see that Audible is releasing Joey W Hill's Nature of Desire series...

...but when I heard the sample of the narrator they chose, I doubt I will buy any even though Ice Queen a..."

What I wonder about is why they use a new narrator and give them a whole series of books to narrate before they even try them out on the public to see if they are well received. Isn't that a big waste if no one likes them? But they seem to do it all the time.

message 26: by ElaineY (new)

ElaineY Angie wrote: "ElaineY wrote: "What I wonder about is why they use a new narrator and give them a whole series of books to narrate before they even try them out on the public to see if they are well received. Isn't that a big waste if no one likes them? But they seem to do it all the time. "

Mitchell's done only 2 books that I can see on Audible but Audible is releasing a bunch of erotic romances like Lisa Marie Rice's books and hopefully, the narrators they picked are better. Also, they chose Mitchell to narrate Rough Canvas, (Nature of Desire Book 6) and it's a gay D/s romance! Why a squeaky-voiced female narrator for an MM book? Doesn't make sense to me at all.

message 27: by Lea's Audiobooks (new)

Lea's Audiobooks Hensley (leahensleysaudiobooks) Finished Laura Kinsale's My Sweet Folly - supreme experience once again. Now I'm listening to Kristen Ashley's Mystery Man.

message 28: by Maddy (new)

Maddy Barone (maddybarone) | 40 comments I have jsut started Elizabeth Peters' Lion in the Valley. At first I didn't like the narration, but two chapters in, and I love it.

message 29: by Cynthia (last edited Sep 12, 2013 07:04AM) (new)

Cynthia (scent45) | 88 comments listened to Floweres from the storm Flowers from the Storm by Laura Kinsale . It was great the narrator is off the chain. I'm looking forward to listening to more narrated by him. Starting Dream Hunter now.

message 30: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Golden | 453 comments Cynthia wrote: "listened to Floweres from the stormFlowers from the Storm by Laura Kinsale. It was great the narrator is off the chain. I'm looking forward to listening to more narrated by him. Starting Dream Hu..."

Thanks, Cynthia, for this update. I've been undecided about this book, but I think I'm just going to give in and listen to it.

message 31: by Cathy (new)

Cathy | 60 comments Started Styxx today. 31 hours!

message 32: by Moriah (new)

Moriah | 497 comments finished The Passion of the Purple Plumeria (Pink Carnation, #10) by Lauren Willig . I enjoyed this installment to the Pink Carnation series. Those that are looking for a book where the lead characters are a little more mature should enjoy this one. Like all the books in the series, the aren't strictly romance, but do feature romance.

message 33: by Mitzi (last edited Sep 13, 2013 06:50PM) (new)

Mitzi (mitzihinkeysbcglobalnet) | 96 comments I'm on chapter 11 of Flowers From The Storm...Don't think I can take much more H abuse...the narrator is excellent but the story is a stomach twister. Not sure if I will continue or not?..I don't have a good feeling regarding his 'legal hearing' he is currently undergoing and looks like more bad sh*t is going to happen to him....So I think I'll skip this book for now and return when I'm in the mood for torture....I love romance novels (I even love Jamie/Claire from Outlander series and they endure a lot of hardships!)...but this is relentless thus far with little or no relief and and I don't think I can take it.

message 34: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 535 comments Mitzi, more bad shit happens to him, but I really loved this book...it is an emotional roller coaster, but was worth it to me.

message 35: by Mitzi (new)

Mitzi (mitzihinkeysbcglobalnet) | 96 comments Dawn wrote: "Mitzi, more bad shit happens to him, but I really loved this book...it is an emotional roller coaster, but was worth it to me."

Are all of her books intense like this one? I bought 2 of her books on sale....

message 36: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Golden | 453 comments What is the sex like in Flowers From The Storm or is there any?

message 37: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 535 comments There is sex. Not sure exactly what you are asking, but there is more story than sex...sex is descriptive, but not erotica.

message 38: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 535 comments At Mitzi, this was the most emotionally draining of the four I bought. But, I would say all of the four I purchased had some serious emotional parts, but that is what I liked about them...not the usual fluff romance.

message 39: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Golden | 453 comments Dawn wrote: "There is sex. Not sure exactly what you are asking, but there is more story than sex...sex is descriptive, but not erotica."

Thanks, Dawn. That's what I was asking.

message 40: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 535 comments Oh good...

message 41: by Mitzi (new)

Mitzi (mitzihinkeysbcglobalnet) | 96 comments Dawn wrote: "At Mitzi, this was the most emotionally draining of the four I bought. But, I would say all of the four I purchased had some serious emotional parts, but that is what I liked about them..."
Thanks Dawn...That's good to know. I love emotional as long as the good is mixed with the bad. But so far, this book has no good...only bad...and it's breaking my heart. I'm putting in on 'pause' but will try her other book I bought. Keeping fingers crossed it won't be so sad.....

message 42: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 535 comments I really liked Prince of Midnight as well. The least emotionally draining, was (for me) Midsummer Moon, and Dream Hunter. But the main theme in all, were Hero's who were madly in love with heroines who were very resistive. The big difference with Flowers is that the Hero's trials are so intense and those other people are such assholes.

message 43: by Maddy (last edited Sep 14, 2013 07:15AM) (new)

Maddy Barone (maddybarone) | 40 comments I really love Laura Kinsale's writing. She has a beautiful style of writing that sucks me into the story. She also creates complex characters and places them in fully fleshed out settings with well thought out plots. I don't always like her characters. For instance, I didn't like Leigh from the Prince of Midnight.

I wonder if the reason readers have such definite responses to Kinsale's work is that her writing makes it so real that the reader experiences the action/emotions felt by the characters. Since her characters are three dimensional (instead of flat shadows flitting through the pages of a wallpaper romance) they are scarred by their pasts and struggling with their present. That's my eloquent way of saying "She writes good."

At first I didn't like the narrator, Nicholas Boulton. I prefer female narrators for romance. But the more I listened, the more I began to believe he was the best voice for the story.

I'm still anxiously awaiting the audio of The Shadow and the Star. One of my all time favorite books. I think next up for me will be The Dream Hunter.

message 44: by Pauline (new)

Pauline (paulinebairdjones) | 145 comments I've been doing a lot of re-listening to my Georgette Heyer audio books. I've really needed quiet, humorous, not too exciting this past month or two. Are there any other...gentle audio books out there? Good for when life is interesting and you need an escape into quiet?

message 45: by Maddy (last edited Sep 14, 2013 11:41AM) (new)

Maddy Barone (maddybarone) | 40 comments Pauline wrote: "I've been doing a lot of re-listening to my Georgette Heyer audio books. I've really needed quiet, humorous, not too exciting this past month or two. Are there any other...gentle audio books out th..."

I wonder if you might like any of Julie Garwood's medievals? The Bride is the Audible Daily Deal today.
http://www.audible.com/pd/Romance/The...

message 46: by D.G. (new)

D.G. | 1329 comments My Sweet Folly has one of the best epilogues I've ever seen and the heroine is great, but the story is a bit weird.

message 47: by Pauline (new)

Pauline (paulinebairdjones) | 145 comments Maddy wrote: "Pauline wrote: "I've been doing a lot of re-listening to my Georgette Heyer audio books. I've really needed quiet, humorous, not too exciting this past month or two. Are there any other...gentle au..."

Thanks Maddy! Will check her out. :-)

message 48: by ms bookjunkie (new)

ms bookjunkie (msbookjunkie) | 89 comments Pauline wrote: "I've been doing a lot of re-listening to my Georgette Heyer audio books. I've really needed quiet, humorous, not too exciting this past month or two. Are there any other...gentle audio books out th..."

I like La Nora's Inn Boonsboro trilogy for comfort listening. I love the books and the narrator is great for them. (Yes, sometimes I listen at 1.5 speed because he is slow and deliberate, but he's also great for comfort listening.)

message 49: by Xe (new)

Xe Sands (xesands) | 369 comments Anyone here ever read/listen to any Candis Terry?

message 50: by Harry_ATL (new)

Harry_ATL | 40 comments Pauline wrote: "I've been doing a lot of re-listening to my Georgette Heyer audio books. I've really needed quiet, humorous, not too exciting this past month or two. Are there any other...gentle audio books out th..."

Pauline, have you ever listened to Lady Fortescue Steps Out by MC Beaton. Gentle story and Davina Porter just wonderful.

« previous 1 3