Bisky's Twitterling's Scribbles! discussion

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bisky (new)

Bisky Scribbles (bisky_scribbles) | 2536 comments Mod
I don't often begin stories with a dream. But sometimes if I get involved with a story I dream about it which leads to more scenes :]

My nightmares are almost always memories. So, I can't use them. I wondered if anyone actually used a nightmare for a horror novel? That would be so interesting!

Do your dreams influence your stories? Or begin them?

message 2: by Karen (new)

Karen (okiewashere) | 57 comments Sometimes dreams actually initiate a story. 'Nightmare' begins with a young woman running down a dark alley. I saw her running down that alley in my dream, woke up and - knew that I just had to use it. :)

message 3: by Bisky (new)

Its funny how they influence us :] I'm always scared I've seen it in a movie ages ago though :x

message 4: by Christy (new)

Christy Romero (christyromero) | 7 comments Probably all the stories I have written started with a dream, and then I have built around it. But it has to be a strong dream for it to stick. I kept having a reoccurring dream of a house sitting alone on the top of a hill, and all the doors inside led into a completely different place altogether. After developing the idea and manipulating the dream, I wrote 5 Doors and am very proud of it! Needless to say I love dreaming!!

message 5: by Rick (new)

Rick Soper (RickSoper) | 169 comments Now I'm on the opposite end from the rest of you in that I can never remember my dreams. I know I have them, and I know they can sometimes be very intense, but they never make it into my mind once I wake up.
But I have some pretty intense dream sequences in my books. One of my characters, Jon Stevens, works through a lot of his thoughts about his investigations through some pretty horrifying dream sequences. So while I don't remember mine I have an idea in my head what they might be like.

message 6: by Bisky (new)

I can go through periods of dreaming and not dreaming. When they help you progress it rocks :D

message 7: by Carl (new)

Carl Novel ms was inspired by a dream. But dreams rarely inspire me.

message 8: by Hogan (new)

Hogan (shebreathesinink) | 19 comments I remember nearly all of my dreams. In most of them, I'm either running from someone/something or having some weird adventure. Sometimes, my dreams are set in certain places that exist only in my subconscious mind.

Anyway, my very first book (the one I'm in the middle of publishing) was actually inspired by a really vivid dream that I had! The story itself has turned out nothing like the original dream; the only details I kept were the characters and the setting.

Lately, I've been having terribly vivid dreams in which I'm swarmed and attacked by snakes. o_o Not sure why, though I'm tempted to write it into a scene just for fun.

message 9: by Bisky (new)

OOoooo thats horrible! O_O I dunno if id like that

message 10: by Hogan (new)

Hogan (shebreathesinink) | 19 comments Yeah, it's definitely disturbing! It doesn't help that it's not unusual to spot a snake in my yard. D:

message 11: by Bisky (new)

I'd move country :X

message 12: by Quanisha (new)

Quanisha McGruder (quanii_a) | 14 comments Like Willow I love to dream. and I think I have some pretty intense dreams my dreams remind me of movies. Once had a dream and at the end the credit rolled then I woke up. I'm working on a new novel YA fantasy/Urban Fantasy that started from a pretty vivid dream. And I'm not the main characters in the dream either it's like I'm there to watch and feel everything. Watching.

message 13: by Bisky (new)

whos names were on the credits? do you remember? :3

message 14: by Quanisha (new)

Quanisha McGruder (quanii_a) | 14 comments No I can't remember but I remember some people who were in the dream; strangely enough it was John Cena(wrestler), some of my cousins and some other random made up dream people that I don't remember. I think I ignored the credits like I do consciously when I watch a movie. The dream was kinda like a zombie/apocalyptic dream.
I've also had repeat dreams where I know I've had this dream before in the dream and can change it.

message 15: by Bisky (new)

thats so cool! I hardly have dreams at all atm. Becuase Im editing not writing, I can't be creative right now lol

message 16: by Quanisha (new)

Quanisha McGruder (quanii_a) | 14 comments @Bisky Haha yeah I understand, when the editing monster comes out it means business :)

message 17: by Bisky (new)

He's gone on holiday tonight. I'm trying to lure him back :p

message 18: by Quanisha (new)

Quanisha McGruder (quanii_a) | 14 comments Mine was banished until further notice unless she behaves