Linda Howard Book Junkies discussion

Archive > September's book of the month-Midnight Rainbow

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dee (new)

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments Jane Hamilton Greer was a wealthy socialite in over her head or was she really engaged in espionage that could compromise US interests for years to come? The only certainty was that she was being held captive and that her very wealthy, very well-connected father wanted her back-now.

Grant Sullivan was one of the government's most effective agents, and he'd agreed to rescue Jane. Finding her was easy; getting her out was something else.

In the time they spent together, questions of guilt and innocence began to fade against the undeniable reality that two people from such different worlds should never have met.

message 2: by Sandra J (new)

Sandra J Weaver (sandraweaver) | 149 comments I love Jane and Grant. Jane is no wilting flower as Grant discovers the hard way. I enjoyed this book very much. Guess it's time for a reread.

message 3: by Dee (new)

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments I am already on chapter 6. I love this couple. I especially love it when Grant realized there was more behind this woman than her looks and flirtatious ways. I love a smart woman who keeps her intelligence under wraps. It makes it so interesting when people discount her.

message 4: by Judy (new)

Judy | 767 comments This was the very first Linda Howard book that I read and I became an instant fan of hers. I look forward to rereading it.

message 5: by Janet (new)

Janet Henderson | 74 comments Gutted I can't join in. There doesn't seem to be a kindle version and I can't find it in the Kiwi bookshops or library! Typical. A linda Howard I haven't read and I can't get my hands on it!! Hope you lot enjoy reading and talking about it this month. :)

❤️ Dorsey aka Wrath Lover Reviews ❤️ Eeek.....I haven't even started this yet!! I love this book!!!!

message 7: by Judy (new)

Judy | 767 comments Janet wrote: "Gutted I can't join in. There doesn't seem to be a kindle version and I can't find it in the Kiwi bookshops or library! Typical. A linda Howard I haven't read and I can't get my hands on it!! Hope ..."

Does your library have interlibrary loan? That's how I got Running Wild for last month. Also, Amazon has both new and used copies of Midnight Rainbow. Ebay is another good source if you don't mind used books. Hope you can get a copy, because it is a good book.

message 8: by Janet (new)

Janet Henderson | 74 comments Judy wrote: "Janet wrote: "Gutted I can't join in. There doesn't seem to be a kindle version and I can't find it in the Kiwi bookshops or library! Typical. A linda Howard I haven't read and I can't get my hands..."

I never thought of interlibrary loans - I'll give that a go, thanks Judy! I did think of used books, but it wouldn't get to me in time to take part in the read. I may do it just so I can read the book though. It looks really good. :)

message 9: by Diane (new)

Diane Aubry | 4 comments I found it to be rather incongruous that Jane would choose a job as a courier , in view of the fact that she had a trauma in her childhood , being kidnapped & was still afraid of the dark .Her job puts her in jeopardy without backup . However , she is such a plucky girl, she is apparently suppressing her anxieties from the past , to do what she does .

message 10: by Janeiowa (new)

Janeiowa | 4927 comments I've forgotten, I guess, who the guy, Hamilton, was she was married/divorced? from. I need to re-read, obviously. It just didn't seem a big part of the story, at all.

message 11: by Dee (last edited Sep 06, 2013 01:36AM) (new)

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments Jane wrote: "I've forgotten, I guess, who the guy, Hamilton, was she was married/divorced? from. I need to re-read, obviously. It just didn't seem a big part of the story, at all."

From what I understand Chris Greer was Jane's best friend growing up. After her abduction Jane withdrew, except for the trusted few who loved her before she was kidnapped. Chris was one of those people. The book doesn't explain why Jane married Chris, the book says, Jane continued to withdraw from people and she remained essentially alone. Sex to her was a bother and eventually Chris left her alone. Although Jane loved Chris very much she saw Chris as a "brother," not a lover.

Charles Hamilton was Jane's father.

message 12: by Dee (new)

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments Diane wrote: "I found it to be rather incongruous that Jane would choose a job as a courier , in view of the fact that she had a trauma in her childhood , being kidnapped & was still afraid of the dark .Her job ..."

After Jane was abducted, her father insisted that she learn intensive self-defense. I believe this, along with her eidetic (photographic) memory, and quick-wittedness allowed Jane to face, rather than suppress, her fears.

Even her phobia of being alone in the dark, Jane used that time to watch the guard's routine, plan an escape, and squirrel away provisions.

message 13: by Janeiowa (new)

Janeiowa | 4927 comments From what I understand Chris Greer was Jane's best friend growing up. After her abduction Jane withdrew, except for the trusted few who loved her before she was kidnapped. Chris was one of those people. The book doesn't explain why Jane married Chris, the book says, Jane continued to withdraw from people and she remained essentially alone. Sex to her was a bother and eventually Chris left her alone. Although Jane loved Chris very much she saw Chris as a "brother," not a lover.

Charles Hamilton was Jane's father.

Right! I'd mixed up the names Greer and Hamilton in my head. Hamilton was her maiden name; Greer the husband who she apparently married, not because of love, but because he was a friend and on same social level, I guess.

jane

message 14: by Carly (new)

Carly Carson | 59 comments This book is one of my favorites from LH. I thought Grant was so sexy and the scene with the boa aftermath was hot! Yes, there were some huge plot holes, but I enjoyed the characters so much I didn't care. Jane was feisty and independent and I liked her can-do spirit. Grant was the hero LH does so well - tough and alpha, but never overbearing.

message 15: by Dee (last edited Sep 27, 2013 09:50AM) (new)

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments That is so interesting Carly, I am usually the first one to look for those holes in the plot, but for some reason I have never tried in this one. I am guessing that it is because I have never even come close to being in a jungle or a drug cartel. Ok, if I think about it yea I can come up with some holes with the cartel, but this one I just don't want to look that closely.

I love, love feisty independent self-sufficient women, so Jane is a perfect heroine for me. I think somehow that is more important to me than the alpha male... Let me explain that before I get myself into trouble.

I think every romance that I have ever read the males are all alpha. The heroine however can range anywhere from the shy, naïve type (Daisy in Open Season or Julie Garwood's historicals) to the super alpha I-don't-need-a-man-he-woman type (Iris Johansen heroines). When the author makes the heroine feisty, independent, as well as self-sufficient then matches her up with the tough, but not overbearing alpha. Wow what a match!

message 16: by Sandra J (new)

Sandra J Weaver (sandraweaver) | 149 comments I liked the way the men tend to underestimate Jane. Of course, in some instances she makes sure they underestimate her. She and Grant show up in Diamond Bay to rescue Kell Sabin. I enjoyed Jane's reaction to the situation.

message 17: by Janeiowa (last edited Sep 17, 2013 04:13AM) (new)

Janeiowa | 4927 comments I loved her line in Diamond Bay about looking for him where he didn't want her to know he was...or something like that. And all the weapons she brought with her made her
a good woman to have your back.

message 18: by Anita (new)

Anita (anitanodiva) | 1597 comments I loved this book, even though older romances can show their age - this one didn't (except in the tech area). I really loved Jane. She is resourceful, smart and brave. She also showed great understanding when it came to not pushing Grant, letting him come to terms with his feelings for her.

message 19: by Dee (new)

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments I think this will always be a favorite of mine.

message 20: by Carly (new)

Carly Carson | 59 comments Yes, Dee, I think I meant to say what you said. I was aware there were some, shall we say, unlikely parts of the plot, but I didn't care. I just wanted to hang out with Jane and Grant.

message 21: by Dee (new)

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments Carly wrote: "Yes, Dee, I think I meant to say what you said. I was aware there were some, shall we say, unlikely parts of the plot, but I didn't care. I just wanted to hang out with Jane and Grant."

I so agree with you, Carly. I think my favorite books, the ones I read over and over are the ones that I want to hang out with the H/h. I want to ask them questions and go to dinner with them. I am such a sap.

message 22: by Debby (new)

Debby Harrison | 227 comments I loved when Jane pulled out the sandwiches, juice, brush, and Perrier. I thought that was so great. I love a when a woman knows how to plan for the future.

message 23: by Debby (new)

Debby Harrison | 227 comments Dee wrote: "That is so interesting Carly, I am usually the first one to look for those holes in the plot, but for some reason I have never tried in this one. I am guessing that it is because I have never even..."

I also love it when the H/h grow in a relationship. I think that is why I love Julie Garwood's historicals.

message 24: by Dee (last edited Sep 28, 2013 02:09AM) (new)

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments So do I (love Julie Garwood's historicals) Debby.

message 25: by Adis (new)

Adis (mylunar) | 127 comments Finished re-read it last week... and seriously love the heroine. How she handle Grant was great.

message 26: by Sandra J (new)

Sandra J Weaver (sandraweaver) | 149 comments I think Jane is Jaine's (from Mr. Perfect) forerunner, just without Jaine's snark. Love both of them.

message 27: by Shelley (new)

Shelley (reads-a-lot-44) | 21 comments Julie Garwood historical are GREAT! She had a book signing in Dallas a couple of months ago. It was a limited tour of only three stops. I think one in Kansas City, one in St Louis, and one in Dallas. They were pretty close geographically. The rumor at the signing was it was the first book signing she had done in 25 years. She was hilarious! She said it is less financially attractive to publishers to do historicals. I think she deserves a Nora Roberts
level contract. My favorite Julie Garwood historical is The Bride. I love the Scots subgenre and the best line of the book was " She started three wars in the first week". I have a picture of me and Julie Garwood as she signed my books. I will ask my husband if it is possible to post it on the website.

message 28: by Dee (new)

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments Sandra J wrote: "I think Jane is Jaine's (from Mr. Perfect) forerunner, just without Jaine's snark. Love both of them."

I never thought about it, but I think you are right.

message 29: by Dee (new)

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments Shelley wrote: "Julie Garwood historical are GREAT! She had a book signing in Dallas a couple of months ago. It was a limited tour of only three stops. I think one in Kansas City, one in St Louis, and one in Dal..."

I have lived in both St. Louis and KC. I wished she would have had them when I was there. I so love her. OK forget that. I wish she would have a book signing in Phoenix. I would definitely go.

If you can get the picture to us please do so I would LOVE to see it. That would be so cool.

message 30: by Shelley (last edited Sep 28, 2013 11:18AM) (new)

Shelley (reads-a-lot-44) | 21 comments Dee wrote: "Shelley wrote: "Julie Garwood historical are GREAT! She had a book signing in Dallas a couple of months ago. It was a limited tour of only three stops. I think one in Kansas City, one in St Louis..."

Dee wrote: "Shelley wrote: "Julie Garwood historical are GREAT! She had a book signing in Dallas a couple of months ago. It was a limited tour of only three stops. I think one in Kansas City, one in St Louis..."

message 31: by Shelley (new)

Shelley (reads-a-lot-44) | 21 comments Dee wrote: "Shelley wrote: "Julie Garwood historical are GREAT! She had a book signing in Dallas a couple of months ago. It was a limited tour of only three stops. I think one in Kansas City, one in St Louis..."

Dee wrote: "Shelley wrote: "Julie Garwood historical are GREAT! She had a book signing in Dallas a couple of months ago. It was a limited tour of only three stops. I think one in Kansas City, one in St Louis..."

My husband posted some pictures in my profile of our time with Julie Garwood.

message 32: by Dee (new)

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments I looked at it. That is so cool. I tried to enlarge the picture, but it wouldn't. Still that is great.