THE Group for Authors! discussion

The Craft > Ideas to get your book known

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Lennon Hi.

I'm thinking of different ways to get my book known. I'm in the middle of checking it for errors etc now.
Obviously I'm going to put posts on facebook and things like that.
I have also organised with my local library to donate a copy to them which they are going to put on the shelves.
I was thinking about maybe doing giveaways on here but would think I need a little bit of a following first before that would have any effect.

Does anybody have any other ideas?

Thanks

message 2: by Debra (new)

Debra Edwards | 23 comments How about sending it out for reviews?

message 3: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Tuell (booksloveme) Offer it for free to reviewers. If its in ebook version also, you can do can post up a coupon code for the sites it sold on for a limited time. Do a one day sale where the book is half price or like 99 cents. Most groups on here now have a section for authors, post about your book in all your groups. Give a copy to friend/co-worker, ask them to read to give you theor honest opinion and have them pass along the book.

Just a few ideas.

message 4: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Lennon I have heard people mention that but was unsure how it worked?
This being my first book, I'm new to all of this.
Who would I send it to for reviews?
Are there specific places or can you just send them to any magazines etc?

message 5: by A.L. (new)

A.L. Butcher (alb2012) | 188 comments Check some of the groups here, there are lots which allow authors to promote and to offer their books for review. Do check carefully though as not all the groups let you.

What genre is the book? Set up an author page on facebook and google as well.

You could set up a blog and get involved that way. Networking is good;)

message 6: by Marc (new)

Marc Brackett | 74 comments Andy wrote: "I have heard people mention that but was unsure how it worked?
This being my first book, I'm new to all of this.
Who would I send it to for reviews?
Are there specific places or can you just send t..."

Hi Andy,

I've got some extensive lists of book review bloggers if you are interested. It takes some work to find the ones who will be interested in your genre and even then most will never respond. However it's been worth it for me. If you promise not to do a blanket email or spam the reviewers I'd be happy to share my resource. Just send me a PM with your email.

Marc

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) Andy wrote: "...I was thinking about maybe doing giveaways on here but would think I need a little bit of a following first before that would have any effect...."

I don't think you need a following before doing a giveaway (unless a pretty esoteric genre). While hopefully any first reads winners would review your book eventually, I know some authors use the giveaways to get the attention and potential following as contest entrants shelve your book (as to-read or whatever). Hopefully with a snowball effect as their friends see they entered the giveaway and shelved your book.

Just getting it out there and noticed is difficult just due to the 100K+ new books added monthly to the blogosphere.

Book bloggers are going to be like goodreads groups -- all will have their individual rules on accepting books for promotion or review and you'll have more success if you explore the site a bit to find out that information. Some reviewer profiles on goodreads will list their blog if they have one.

message 8: by RabidReader (new)

RabidReader (RabidReaderX) | 14 comments I am also interested in how to get a book reviewed. I've recently written and completed a trilogy of fiction. I'm not in it to make money, but I would be interested in some unbiased reviews. As far as genre, their soft-scifi (Bourne Identity meets Hunger Games for lack of a better description.) How do you find reviewer here on goodreads?

message 9: by Marshall (new)

Marshall Best | 17 comments Who would I send it to for reviews?
Are there specific places or can you just send t..."

Andrew,
Here is one site that has a list of reviewers. It does take some time to wade through.

http://www.theindieview.com/indie-rev...

Another helpful article I read suggested searching for books on Amazon similar to yours. Find out who reviewed the books and contact the reviewers to see if they'd be interested in reviewing your book. If you go to the reviewers page, many have their contact info right there.

Good luck...lots to learn!
Tracey (for Marshall)