Young Writers discussion

NaNoWriMo > NaNoWriMo 2013

Comments Showing 1-50 of 1,164 (1164 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 23 24

Elliott Alicia  | 22636 comments Mod
It's almost November, and that means NaNoWriMo will be here before anyone has time to be completely prepared. Discuss your frustrations and inspiration here!

(If you don't know what NaNoWriMo is, check out nanowrimo.org, but basically it's an annual contest where writers try to write a 50,000 word novel in one month.)

message 2: by Kriss (new)

Kriss (krisslee) | 5015 comments Mod
I'm already not sure what I want to write about. SO MANY IDEAS, NOT ENOUGH TIME.

message 3: by Sumaiyya (new)

Sumaiyya | 846 comments Noooo I don't even know what to write about!! Well, I have one kind-of idea. But I don't know if I can stretch it to 50,000 words. (I'm more of a short story kind of girl)

Sam~~ we cannot see the moon, and yet the waves still rise~~ | 3061 comments Maya wrote: "I'm more of a short story kind of girl"

same. and whenever i try writing novels, i either get bored or frustrated in the middle. :/

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Crikey. Only two months left and I don't even have any ideas. I doubt I'd be able to do it with college going on, but maybe I could give it a try... I wish I could do some sort of ghost story, but I have no ideas besides like one or two characters.

message 6: by Jayda (new)

Jayda | 2761 comments UGHHHHHHHHHH I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT TO DO WITH MY IDEAS HVIEOLW; nfv;a ful ealwo8r4.

I've seriously been trying to plot for 2 months and I have almost nothing. It's horrible :( I was hoping to be wayyy further along, by now.

message 7: by Kriss (new)

I keep forgetting to plot and so now I'm screwed :c

Sam~ on sleepless roads the sleepless go~ wrote: "Maya wrote: "I'm more of a short story kind of girl"

same. and whenever i try writing novels, i either get bored or frustrated in the middle. :/"

Maya wrote: "Noooo I don't even know what to write about!! Well, I have one kind-of idea. But I don't know if I can stretch it to 50,000 words. (I'm more of a short story kind of girl)"

NaNoWriMo can be a really good time to fight through how difficult it can be to stretch out ideas, and it's easier to keep going when you're stuck, because of how quickly you're writing and the freedom the contest gives you to just go with random ideas you'd normally find ridiculous.

I don't know, I know it's not for everyone, but I'd definitely give NaNo a try. You might be surprised with how many words you can get.

And some people even write collections of short stories for NaNo. The important thing is that you're writing, honestly.

message 9: by Halah (new)

Halah Butt (valhalah) | 925 comments I'm looking forward to this even thought I haven't a clue what I'm going to write, or if I'll have time to do so :s
But I am determined to stay positive ;D

Sam~~ we cannot see the moon, and yet the waves still rise~~ | 3061 comments Alicia (Lav) wrote: "Sam~ on sleepless roads the sleepless go~ wrote: "Maya wrote: "I'm more of a short story kind of girl"

same. and whenever i try writing novels, i either get bored or frustrated in the middle. :/"
..."

hmm. maybe i will try it this year then. :D

message 11: by Colby (new)

Colby (colbz) | 3211 comments I'm still on the fence about what to write. Both novel ideas I have are calling out to me...In the end, I probably will decide closer to November!

message 12: by Kriss (new)

Colby wrote: "I'm still on the fence about what to write. Both novel ideas I have are calling out to me...In the end, I probably will decide closer to November!"

What are your ideas?

message 13: by Colby (new)

Colby (colbz) | 3211 comments Well one of them is a zombie apocalypse novel, which I have ideas for but can't seem to piece them together. The second is more of a romanceish book, which kind of takes the whole Paper Townsy theme of eff manic pixie dream girls. So both would be fun, but my mind can't pick one. :P

message 14: by Kriss (new)

Obviously the solution is to combine them. You can hve a manic-pixie-dream-girl kicking ass in the zombie apocalypse.

Problem solved.

Just kidding! But I like the sound of both ideas 8D

message 15: by Colby (new)

Colby (colbz) | 3211 comments Okay, Kris, I think I've got my nano idea. Lol

message 16: by Kriss (new)

Yep. I'm brilliant. JK!

But ugh. I need to decide on one of my ideas. I have too many and none of them are well-formed enough ;__;

message 17: by Jayda (new)

Jayda | 2761 comments I have 2 very undeveloped ideas, and neither one is inspiring me at the moment so I have no idea how to plot them :/

message 18: by Taylor (new)

Taylor To collegiate Wrimos:

How do you manage it? I wanna do NaNo because I'll be finishing my current project on November 1, but I just don't know if I can fit it in.

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

Taylor, I've never done NaNoWriMo while in college, but how many credits are you taking and when are you taking them? I've scheduled my 12 credits so that all of them (except voice) are on MWF, which essentially leaves my Tuesdays and Thursdays free. Do you have a large gap in your schedule that you could use for writing?

message 20: by Jayda (new)

Jayda | 2761 comments I'll be doing college next year during it. Luckily, I'm not starting until the winter.

But basically it's about time management. You work on your school stuff for, say, an hour, and then you have some time (30 minutes or more) to work on NaNo so you can rest your mind. Etc.

That's how I did it while I was doing school and such. But it definitely also depends on how many credits you're taking, and when, etc.

message 21: by Taylor (new)

Taylor Uhhhhhh…. *blushes with embarrassment*

I'm taking 16 credits, with 20 hours of work on top of that. But I don't have any friends, so those are my only conflicts.

We'll see how things go over the next two months with my WIP, which is only a short story. If I struggle there, maybe I'll have to hold off on NaNo for a few years. XD

message 22: by Colby (new)

Colby (colbz) | 3211 comments Taylor, I'm taking 17 credit hours and I work a lot when I'm not in class, but I plan to do NaNo. I have 2 and 1/2 hour breaks between my classes on MWF, and on Tuesdays and Thursdays, I'm off at noon. Between that and work, I have a very small slot to cram a novel in, but I think it may actually be good for me to try and mess with time management. I'm going to force myself to schedule some homework time each week, along with my NaNo times. I think I will always use that 2 1/2 hour break on MWF for NaNo, though, and I should be able to get a lot done in that time. Besides that, there's always Thanksgiving break!

message 23: by Sumaiyya (new)

Sumaiyya | 846 comments Thanksgiving break killed it for me last year: we went on a road trip to NJ where my aunt and uncle live, and between all the sightseeing and New York City-exploring and general fun, I had no time to write!!

Not saying that high school is busier than college, but I do NaNo during basketball season, which means I'm out until around 9 or 10 almost every night and my school is crazy with the homework load (I have about three to five hours a night) and there's always spare time here and there to write. And if it means not sleeping for a month, so be it. xD

message 25: by Taylor (new)

Taylor @Alicia

That was NaNo for me my sophomore year. I would work on homework until about 11, then I'd start writing, usually until 3 or 4 AM. Where it got crazy is when I decided to follow that schedule for the following three months.

So…we'll see what happens. I'll do what I can.

message 26: by Isaac (new)

Isaac | 8014 comments So I have two plot lines that I would like to expand on:

1. The first is about Maggie, a girl bothered by the idea of being a girl until she realizes that maybe she isn't one. She changes her look and starts asking people to call her Cameron instead. Logan, one of her friends, notices the interesting change. Although unusual, his crush on her blossoms even more to a point where he wants to ask her out. But when he does, he gets sudden news: she's not straight. She's not gay or bi either; instead, she's an aromantic asexual. He struggles to accept the fact that she won't ever like him back and goes to drastic measures to try to "fix" her, because after all, humans are supposed to reproduce to be "normal."

2. Madeline [last name] felt the glimmer of life go out during the bars she used to hang out in years ago. Now it's just everyday life with uncommunicative parents, until she meets stage actor Michael Dole. A snarky yet charming character, she's interested in somebody for the first time since she could remember, meeting him in a corner of a coffee shop for weeks. Like every other story, they all helplessly in love with each other. But as Madeline tries to hide from bad memories and Michael does his best to run from problems he pretends doesn't exist, their relationship is pushed the edge. Everything starts to crash around them, angry words and bitter tears filling their apartment every week while reality finally starts to settle in. When Michael suddenly decides he can't stand anything anymore, the two are jolted with the thought that maybe their love can't solve everything.

The first one is more unique, but I don't know how to move to plot along. I'm more interested in the second one, yet that is rather cliches and a lot harder to write. So... I don't know. Maybe I just won't do either of them.

message 27: by Colby (new)

Colby (colbz) | 3211 comments They both sound awesome, but I think I'm more interested in the first one.

message 28: by Sumaiyya (new)

Sumaiyya | 846 comments Emily wrote: "So I have two plot lines that I would like to expand on:

1. The first is about Maggie, a girl bothered by the idea of being a girl until she realizes that maybe she isn't one. She changes her loo..."

I like your ideas, Emily! They both seem to be very character driven plots (my favorite kind) so I guess the progression of the plot would depend on how your characters grow throughout the story. You know, just wanted to throw that out there.

message 29: by Sumaiyya (new)

Sumaiyya | 846 comments Here's my NaNo idea which may not be enough to cut 50,000 words. Maybe if I go heavy on the flashbacks....

So. Maddie suffered from a stroke and now has left-side paralysis of the entire body. She's unresponsive to the doctors and suffering from depression caused by her condition. Her husband for 30+ years, Elliot, decides one day to put all his grief and frustration into a letter. It seemed appropriate for Maddie, the retired journalist.

Maddie still won't say a word, but she writes back to Elliot. The story will be their exchange of letters, maybe with some third-person narration in between.

message 30: by Poet in the Dark (new)

Poet in the Dark (poetinthedark) | 253 comments I'd read that book. ^

As for me, I'll either be a NaNo rebel and finish one of my already started stories, or actually write out one of the ideas I haven't started on yet.

message 31: by Jayda (new)

Jayda | 2761 comments Ughhhh, I can't even plot to save my life. I feel sooo screwed, already.

message 32: by Grace (new)

Grace (Fives) | 1090 comments I was actually thinking of not doing one at all, but now I feel I should try a little bit.
So, maybe...
I was thinking with the plot...
Maybe, it could be about the apocalypse, where people have been infected with a virus that turns people into, not zombies, but dinosaurs. So far all I have is that when it started, people went missing. Hundreds, but none could be found...
So, it's gonna be about this girl, Maxine.
She lives with her sister in a small apartment.
One day, when her sister goes to work at the airport. Maxine wakes to a loud boom, and...
There's a dinosaur outside of her window.
And then there's gonna be this guy named Steven that was going to loot her house. And then they just try to go to the airport to... I dunno, do something?
I'm having a problem thinking out what they'll do next, but HEY, November hasn't happened yet!
I probably won't do this...
But whatever...
Good luck to all you other people who might actually write something!

message 33: by Brigid ✩, No tears in the writer, no tears in the reader. (new)

Brigid ✩ | 11973 comments Mod
Kriss wrote: "Obviously the solution is to combine them. You can hve a manic-pixie-dream-girl kicking ass in the zombie apocalypse."

Wait actually. Yes.

message 34: by Brigid ✩, No tears in the writer, no tears in the reader. (new)

Oh yeah, so NaNo! I am definitely doing it, because I always manage to cram it into my schedule somehow even if I'm super busy. My schedule isn't looking too hectic right now, so that should help. But anyway.

I'm still working out the details of my story and this explanation probably won't make much sense. But basically, the main character is a fourteen-year-old boy who lives in this alternate world which is full of "magic pollution." That is, people can do magic (although it's a complicated process and involves making sketchy deals with demons and whatnot), but every time magic is performed it kind of "leaks" into the air. And this has caused mutations and disease, etc. So, now magic is illegal. But there aren't very many people left, and they all live in small isolated communities, which are divided by huge creepy swamplands where there are mutant creatures and demons and illegal magicians and stuff.

So anyway, one day a bunch of scary monsters invade the main character's home town and kidnap his best friend, and he decides to go looking for her. And of course, this means facing a lot of terrifying/dangerous things. And then there's this crazy guy kidnapping/brainwashing children and building a child army. And yeah, it'll be crazy. That's all.

Aaah, it sounds so exciting and interesting and intense. I CAN'T WAIT FOR IT TO BE A THING.

message 36: by Brigid ✩, No tears in the writer, no tears in the reader. (new)

YAAAAY I CAN'T WAIT EITHER. Gahhh I have been planning it in my head for so long and it'll be cool to finally write it ... hopefully. :)

message 37: by Sam~~ we cannot see the moon, and yet the waves still rise~~ (last edited Sep 07, 2013 09:51PM) (new)

Sam~~ we cannot see the moon, and yet the waves still rise~~ | 3061 comments YAY I'M SO EXCITED TO READ IT, BRIGID. :D

message 38: by Kriss (new)

Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!* wrote: "Oh yeah, so NaNo! I am definitely doing it, because I always manage to cram it into my schedule somehow even if I'm super busy. My schedule isn't looking too hectic right now, so that should help. ..."

AHH BRIGID. This sounds friggin amazing. I WILL READ IT WHEN YOU WRITE IT <3

message 39: by Kriss (new)

Hnngg. I'm not even sure how I'm going to do NaNo yet between school and volleyball. BUT. I finally have a couple ideas.

The first one is to FINALLY finish my novel, Saints of Our City. Which is a futuristic Utopian society and kind of a mystery/satire/investigative thing with a lot of religious and political motifs.

AND THEN. I have had this idea called "The Circle Theory" which would be about a couple teenagers who are in the summer after their senior year and they're trying to get their lives together before they start college. It would be very dramatic and self-discovery orientated with a lot of darker themes and just... kind of sad/tragic. The main character would be a boy named Judas who comes back to his home town after living with his mother for four years. A lot of reconnecting with old friends and summer flings and just... Crazy stuff, plus things like dreams and ambitions. And yeah.

message 40: by Brigid ✩, No tears in the writer, no tears in the reader. (new)

YAY THANKS KRISS. Hopefully I'll actually have the motivation to post some of it on Goodreads when I write it, haha. :D

And those both sound like cool ideas. Of course, all your ideas are cool so yeah, I'm sure whatever you choose will be awesome. ;)

message 41: by Kriss (new)

Poema (Elizabeth) wrote: "For the first time, I'm going to ask for help about what story to do for NaNo. Yes, I am going to try and do NaNo during college and work on this thing call time management.

Alright, so the first ..."

I really, really like the first idea! Not only because I'm a Civil War fan (not in the sense that I think it was cool, but I do like the history of it and everything) but because it seems like the more original of the two and very interesting <3

message 42: by Kriss (new)

Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!* wrote: "YAY THANKS KRISS. Hopefully I'll actually have the motivation to post some of it on Goodreads when I write it, haha. :D

And those both sound like cool ideas. Of course, all your ideas are cool so ..."

You better post some stuff!

And aw, thanks! I just want to write something that I'll have the muse for. Decisions, decisions.

message 43: by Kriss (new)

You should do it! And hnggg coffee shops. Even if you don't like coffee, they still smell super good?

message 44: by Olivia (new)

Olivia | 213 comments I love the first one I would defiantly read that. I am sure you could find some relatable themes for it.

message 45: by Brigid ✩, No tears in the writer, no tears in the reader. (new)

Poema (Elizabeth) wrote: "For the first time, I'm going to ask for help about what story to do for NaNo. Yes, I am going to try and do NaNo during college and work on this thing call time management.

Alright, so the first ..."

Those both sound great! I agree with Kriss and Olivia that the first idea is a bit more appealing to me, though. I think the second one could also be really cool, but I feel like it could easily become very melodramatic ... not that it's a bad idea, just that it might be more difficult to pull off effectively. Just my two cents. :)

message 46: by Brigid ✩, No tears in the writer, no tears in the reader. (new)

Kriss wrote: "Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!* wrote: "YAY THANKS KRISS. Hopefully I'll actually have the motivation to post some of it on Goodreads when I write it, haha. :D

And those both sound like cool ideas. Of..."

Haha all right, I will! At least the first few chapters or something. :)

And yeah, I've had years like that where I've juggled a bunch of ideas for NaNo and I just had to wait to see which one was more appealing once it got closer to November. Maybe outline for each of them a bit and see which one you have the most ideas/inspiration for?

message 47: by Colby (new)

Colby (colbz) | 3211 comments Does anybody have any tips for outlining? I think I want to actually try it this year but I have no clue what I'm doing.

Poema, that story sounds like it should be pretty interesting. :D

message 48: by Isaac (new)

Isaac | 8014 comments I really need to learn how to outline too. I feel it might help both my ideas. :P

message 49: by Anthony (new)

Anthony | 140 comments I really want to do NaNoWriMo this year, and it looks like my schedule will let me, finally!

Colby, I have a few idea to get you started. The first thing is obvious: decide on a story you want to tell. Sometimes, even a general idea, like "I want to write about_______" can get you started.

Once you have that in mind, think about the setting. What will the world you create be like? what are the issues you want characters to face? Try to match the setting with the novel's overall tone (or think about how the tone of the novel shifts as a character moves from place to place.)

Once you have that, think about characters. Ask questions like:
Do they have distinct/ symbolic markings or mannerisms?
What type of main character do you want and what challenges will they face?
How will certain characters interact?

Once that is taken care of, Think about a hook for the story. It can be the first sentence or paragraph, but it should catch attention and give you an interesting point to start from.

With that done, you should start planning out each chapter before writing. Figure out the main scenes for each chapter, and then add additional information, like:
What characters are in the scene and what are they doing?
How is the scene significant to the story plot/theme?
How should the dialogue sound? what emotions are the characters feeling?
How does the scene contribute to character development?

After all of this is finished, you can work on a writing schedule for NaNoWriMo. Try to schedule significant blocks of time. this should allow you to write freely without worrying about whether or not you have enough time to a.) think about what to do next, and b.) keep consistent with the writing style of the book thus far.

Try to maintain a minimum word count for each day. Think of how much you can write daily to achieve 50,000 words by the end of the month. If you have a bad day, or something happens (family stuff, school, etc.) write twice as much the next day. Just keep in mind that you may need to write more efficiently if the novel ends up being much longer than 50,000 words.

Hopefully this will get you ready. If you have anymore questions, or you want more details on certain parts of the plotting process, feel free to ask! :)

message 50: by Isaac (new)

Isaac | 8014 comments Anthony wrote: "I really want to do NaNoWriMo this year, and it looks like my schedule will let me, finally!

Colby, I have a few idea to get you started. The first thing is obvious: decide on a story you want to ..."

You are the most helpful person I've ever known.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 23 24