YA/NA FANATICS discussion

BOOK TALK > Abusive relationships in YA books

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Eliason (RachelEliason) I was surfing listopia the other day I came across a list titled "Abusive Relationships in YA fiction". Scanning through the list and then the comments I realized that this would be a lot more informative as a discussion thread than as a list. On the one hand just dropping a book on a list and labeling it as an abusive relationship seems like a troll move. Twilight tops the list. What about Bella and Edward's relationship make it abusive?
On the other hand, as a thread this is worth discussing, especially if we limit the discussion to YA. YA is aimed at young adults and what message are they getting about what is and is not okay?

The listopia list is here:http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/30...

What do you think? Do these books portray abusive relationships? Why or why not?

message 2: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Eliason (RachelEliason) I would start off my pointing out that my biggest pet peeve with this list is that many of the books aren't YA at all (like fifty shades) and shouldn't be on the list. Otherwise I am not taking sides on any of these books but trying to encourage a healthy (nice please) debate.

message 3: by Francis (new)

Francis (mynameislance) | 12 comments I agree on Edward-Bella of Twilight as an abusive type of relationship, because the fact that a human began to love a vampire is kinda unfair in terms of long term relationships. We all know that when vampires fall in love, they tend to love the person forever. Unlike humans who can easily be tempted for infidelity.

I'm talking about Twilight only, not to mention the whole series. lol ^^

message 4: by Teddy (new)

Teddy Rachel wrote: "I would start off my pointing out that my biggest pet peeve with this list is that many of the books aren't YA at all (like fifty shades) and shouldn't be on the list. Otherwise I am not taking sid..."

I agree. I was also confused by some of the YA books that were on there; even though some like Twilight obviously had abusive relationships, others like City of Bones didn't really have that issue. (Well, with City of Bones, maybe they're referring to Clary's parents' relationship, but still.)

message 5: by Casey (last edited Sep 02, 2013 07:57PM) (new)

Casey Anderson | 66 comments For some reason the link is not working for me. Which is a bummer because it could be an interesting discussion.
Never mind i figured it out. have to take out the "here" before the web address.

I understand why Twilight is on there. Edward is completely[y abusive of Bella. That was the main thing I disliked about those books. He was controlling, constantly insulting her abilities and intelligent, and arrogantly assuming he always knew what was best for her. He cut off, or tried to, her friends and family so she was totally dependent on him. Something abusers usually do. And then he broke her heart and left her, with her thinking she can't live without him. That whole relationship screams abusive to me. Up until the end when she becomes a vampire herself.

message 6: by via ✨ (new)

via ✨ (readbyvia) The abuse in Twilight was nothing compared to the abuse in Hush Hush and Beautiful Disaster though. Compared to Travis and Patch, Edward would seem like a cuddly Bunny. I think Twilight is topping the list because it's what set off the trend in the first place. But seriously... Travis in Beautiful Disaster is the worst of them all in my opinion.

message 7: by Casey (new)

Casey Anderson | 66 comments Yea I haven't read any of the others on that list so I didn't have any comments on them. It annoyed about Twilight though because it made it seem ok, and as you say, now other books appear to be copying that relationship style.