r/books discussion

Monthly Group Read > {The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao} September 1-8

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stephanie, Super Mod (new)

Stephanie (lastnightsbook) | 346 comments Mod
Sept 1-8: Part I: One-Hunt the Light Knight

Anyone start the book yet?

I think there is no correct way to start reading a book but to start it.

Now that we have gotten a glimpse of Oscar, does anyone find it a bit incredulous that this is the hero of our story? Many times when I start a book, I find the protagonist is described as beautiful/handsome female/male who is not aware of their looks, waif like in the female sense, slightly built for the males, and start out as a average joe to who something extraordinary happens and they blossom into their looks. Oscar is not beautiful and I found that very refreshing.

Anyone liking the book? Disliking? What do you think of the spanish?

message 2: by Darliza (new)

Darliza (parentheticals) | 92 comments There's an Annotated Oscar Wao here: http://www.annotated-oscar-wao.com/in...

I personally love this book (I read it last year). I hope you guys enjoy it.

message 3: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 185 comments I have read very little so far, and I don't think I have an opinion yet. The Spanish is fun for me, because I studied it in college and am very rusty. It's fun to remember some things and learn others. What I do not like is the rampant use of the word nigger. I understand it is used in some subcultures, but it has been so heavily ingrained in me to hate that word. It just sticks out and makes me feel uncomfortable.

I noticed the tone right off. It's oddly conversational yet pedantic at times. Casual and then instructive. I'm not sure if I like that or not yet. What I don't like is that I don't know what to believe. Are all of the historical facts and people real and true, or have some been fictionalized? I can't tell. Trujillo I know, but his minions? Their stories? I just don't know enough.

message 4: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 185 comments P.S. that annotated book link is great. Thanks!