2021 & 2022 Reading Challenge discussion

ARCHIVE 2013 > SEPTEMBER: The Secret History: End (Contains Spoilers)

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kara, TBR Twins (new)

Kara (karaayako) | 3963 comments This thread is to discuss The Secret History through its end.

message 2: by Jack (last edited Sep 10, 2013 09:16PM) (new)

Jack Hansen | 320 comments (view spoiler)
(view spoiler)

message 3: by Kara, TBR Twins (new)

Kara (karaayako) | 3963 comments As much as I like how the book ended (it was fitting), I didn't much care for the epilogue itself. It felt a little like the close to one of those cheesy high school movies--the "where are they now" montage.

...although I guess I can't quite use the word "cheesy" to describe anything about this book.

message 4: by Whitney (new)

Whitney | 43 comments Kara wrote: "As much as I like how the book ended (it was fitting), I didn't much care for the epilogue itself. It felt a little like the close to one of those cheesy high school movies--the "where are they now..."

I really didn't understand what the author was trying to do with the epilogue. Letting the reader know what happened to the main characters, ok. But it's really interesting to me that she felt the need to explain what happened to the FBI agents and other extremely minor characters. It was a strange way to end the novel.

message 5: by Jack (last edited Sep 17, 2013 10:11AM) (new)

Jack Hansen | 320 comments Whitney wrote: "Kara wrote: "As much as I like how the book ended (it was fitting), I didn't much care for the epilogue itself. It felt a little like the close to one of those cheesy high school movies--the "where..."

That's a good point, Whitney; the FBI agents are minor characters and what happens to them is not significant to the story. Donna Tarrt just might be that thorough, though. I took the ending as: life goes on without much meaning, no matter how intelligent, if they all live for themselves and nothing greater other than themselves. Mentioning the FBI may indicate that even the keepers of the law are also not exempt from that same fate.

message 6: by Brian (new)

Brian (brianfinn) | 638 comments I hate to have to disagree with the overall consensus of the group, but hey, that's what discussions are for..:P

I finished the book, and the only positive thing I can say about the end is that I'm so glad it ended.

message 7: by Kara, TBR Twins (new)

Kara (karaayako) | 3963 comments Haha! It's all right, Brian. I totally understand where you're coming from.

message 8: by Aislinn (new)

Aislinn | 40 comments You're not alone, Brian - that was my reaction too.

message 9: by Kara, TBR Twins (new)

Kara (karaayako) | 3963 comments I'm actually quite relieved that there was a range of opinions on the book. It makes for much more interesting discussion--especially because your dissenting opinions, Brian and Aislinn, were so well written and thoughtful.

We didn't get the biggest number of readers ever, but this has been the most interesting group read discussion we've had in a while.

message 10: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (sweetsharon) | 111 comments I have to admit I enjoyed the book immensely but it seemed forever to read, I am thinking because it had such wonderful description. A couple of things I enjoyed, the plot itself of course and the characters were all so different and complexed. I had given the book a 4 star but am thinking I will have to go back and change it to a 5. Great group read choice.

message 11: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Garcia (ash0929) | 11 comments Sharon I agree 100% I have the same feelings about this book. I just finished last night. I enjoyed this book more than I thought I would!

Theresa~OctoberLace (octoberlace) | 773 comments As a final note, I thought I'd add my guess as to when the story took place. Three major clues:

1) Betty Ford Clinic opened October 1982
2) Recent big budget Hollywood movie about Vietnam starring Charlie Sheen recent playing the night Bunny was murdered - Platoon released December 24, 1986
3) FBI agents had a laptop, which weren't mass produced until the mid-80s

So I place Bunny's murder in 1987.

message 13: by Londa (new)

Londa (londalocs) | 117 comments Kara wrote: "I didn't much care for the epilogue itself. It felt a little like the close to one of those cheesy high school movies--the "where are they now" montage. ."

I agree. I could have done without this part of the book.

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

I really think she should have told us WHEN the story took place. I liked the book a lot but that's one objection. The other is, There were parts of this book that were long winded and could have been cut out completely.