The Sword and Laser discussion

The Demolished Man
This topic is about The Demolished Man
2013 Reads > TDM: Sixty Years is a LONG Time

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Lindsay | 593 comments I get that this was probably cutting edge stuff when it was written, and in some ways I read it the same way as I'd read H. G. Wells or early Heinlein.

We know the solar system doesn't look like that. We know that psychology doesn't work like that. The advances in technology, communications and information access makes the business and social environments look nonsensical, and the gender politics and attitude of acceptance of eugenics should be abhorrent to most 21st century readers.

And I get that. It's been sixty years.

What I don't get is this:

(Spoiler about a relationship between two of the characters in the latter half of the book)

(view spoiler)

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Lindsay wrote: "(Spoiler about a relationship between two of the characters in the latter half of the book)"

I have had major issues with this relationship as well. I don't understand its purpose. Maybe I'm too dumb to understand what Bester was trying to say with it. To me it just felt wrong, creepy and ...just really, really wrong.

Lit Bug | 287 comments It is not beyond reproach, but it is a product of its times - conventional and subconsciously patriarchal in nature.

Mark Catalfano (cattfish) Here we go again