City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1) City of Bones discussion

So who did like the movie??

Comments Showing 1-37 of 37 (37 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Cassie    'The Thinker Go Go Go Go' Mis. Roben Goodfellow'\Isabelle Lightwood Hey, so I've seen a lot of people saying that they don't like the movie for some reasion or anouther, so I was wondering if anyone did, like the movie.

Amber The movie was a good movie, as a movie. When you compare it to the book, it's not great, but it's pretty good for a book too movie adaptation. If you enjoyed CoB then you should see the movie.

message 3: by Mia (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mia I thought the movie was actually pretty good for a book/movie adaption.

Lisa It was fine. I enjoyed it. I can't image how difficult it was to take the world Cassandra Clare created and put that into 130 minutes of film. Could it have been better? Yes.

Anna I enjoyed the movie. They picked the perfect actor for Jace. It didn't follow the book perfectly but it was pretty close

Shayla I really enjoyed the movie! No it's not exactly like the book, but as a movie, it's really good. Even as a book adaptation into a movie, it was good.

Courtney A.K.A The Book Addict I loved the movie. Yes it could have been better but overall they really stayed true to the book. It's not easy trying to compress an entire book into a movie.

Rashmika The movie was a pretty good adaption, better than other ones. It was a bit confusing at the start but it panned out all right. I really enjoyed the book and movie.

message 9: by Simone (new)

Simone Hawkins I hadn't read the book when I saw the movie, it was on my to-read shelf. I really liked the movie and so far I've enjoyed reading the book. I can pinpoint differences but I can see how the changes made the movie flow better for the time limit. I'm looking at the book as an encyclopaedia and the movie as the cliff notes version.

Samantha The Escapist Simone I'm surprised you were able to follow it without having read the books.

But maybe I had a harder time because I only half remember them. Either way, when the movie hits the last 20 minutes I thought it stopped making sense completely.

Far as I'm concerned, as a movie, it was okay. As a book adaptation, it was pretty good. Visually and tonally it was great, the pacing was pretty screwy though and it had a pretty obviously low budget but we can't begrudge them that.

message 11: by Arden (new) - added it

Arden I did!!! sure there were some differences but it cant be exactly the same...besides the main plot is the same *these moviehaters out there need to chill*

Clare I thought the movie had some pacing issues but overall it was fun; it was better than many of the other recent big-budget "action blockbusters" I've seen lately.

Loony I did. I love that they kept some of the best lines from the book! "How swiftly you dismiss our love."

message 14: by ~*~Princess Nhya~*~ (last edited Sep 04, 2013 05:57AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

~*~Princess Nhya~*~ I really liked the movie. True it doesn't follow the book to the letter, but what movie adaptation from a book does? I'm a book buff & a movie buff. So I understand its impossible to make the movie exactly like the book. Can u imagine? It would be one long drawn out movie. The actors in this movie I thought were great with the exception of Isabelle. & visually I thought the movie was superb. A lot of the things they brought to life was exactly how I envisioned them while reading the book. Though I'm not huge die hard fan of this series (I stopped reading it after book 4) I loved books 1-3. I'm eager to see what they'll do with the 2nd film. If they make one.

Natalie Tintin wrote: "I did. I love that they kept some of the best lines from the book! "How swiftly you dismiss our love.""

i totally agree! "Jesus." "No, it's just me." That is my favorite line. In terms of the movie, I was a little hesitant about it because the clips didn't seem too good. I also didn't like Jamie Cambel Bower cuz he was in twilight but he got really good as the movie went on. I saw it about a week ago, i think, and i still haven't stopped talking about it! I cant wait until it comes out on dvd... or for city of ashes!!!!!

message 16: by Sue (last edited Sep 04, 2013 08:05AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sue I actually liked the movie, I'll be frank I thought they might screw it up like they did Beautiful Creatures. Jace was a better fit than what I thought from looking at pre-movie trailers/stills. Clary was an excellent fit and don't get me started on Simon and Valentine... especially Valentine. Jonathan Rhys Meyers was absolutely perfect, he brought all the anger and passion from the Tudors to this role. Like I said perfect.

BTW the editing and special effects were excellent and tried to stay as true to the story as possible. The institute was so well done, so true to the book.

There were a few sour notes, a few cases were quite frankly they were going for a "laugh" I think and it really didn't ring true. The scene where Luke kills the creature outside his shop and double backs to wack it again... really, really should have been editted out. I'm not sure what they were going for if it was a laugh it fell short.

7/10 stars for me.

Now is this the best of the YA casting/acting of the year? No, I think that award will be handed out later in the year with Catching Fire (That is definitely a gold mine, but this I think Moral Instruments is the second best YA movie this year). But, I really do hope it does well at the box office, I'd love to see this series continued. I so want them to get to City of Glass.

☽Ƹɱɱɑ☾ Arriana wrote: "Tintin wrote: "I did. I love that they kept some of the best lines from the book! "How swiftly you dismiss our love.""

i totally agree! "Jesus." "No, it's just me." That is my favorite line. In t..."

Amber wrote: "The movie was a good movie, as a movie. When you compare it to the book, it's not great, but it's pretty good for a book too movie adaptation. If you enjoyed CoB then you should see the movie."

Exactly! I agree with both of you!

Vanessa I liked the movie. I'm not going to comment on the characters or how it didn't match, because there are lots of discussions that are getting nowhere. I liked the movie!

Goddess Of Blah I liked the movie - boy was it HOT.

But I felt that it was rushed. It ought to have been longer. The story wasn't explained properly for the plot to develop. My friend who accompanied me hadn't read the books hence she was confused (but she liked the film more than I).

I think the problem lies with the Director rather than the actors. The fighting scenes were awesome but I agree with people above that some scenes (particularly those with Luke) were cringe worthy or not thought out well.

I think they shouldn't have cut out so many Jace and Clary scenes. But wow the wardrobe (Clary and Jace in leathers!) wow. Just wow.

message 20: by Lina (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lina Day I'm not totally sure, and please correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Valentine have the Cup at the end of the book? I could have sworn he did, but in the movie Clary had it?

Linda I liked the movie, thought the casting was perfect, I think they did a fair job with the story line could of been a little better. For me though books are always better. Will I go see the next one absolutely!

SHINY I really liked the movie! :)

Jocelin I was disappointed in the movie. Thought they did a good job casting with Jace, Simon, Jocelyn Fray, Magnus Bane & Hodge Starkweather. Wasn't really that crazy about Lily Collins portrayal of Clary. That is the poison pill of reading a book right before you see the movie; the book's ideas and story still reside in your head. With the weak box office, I don't expect they will be making a sequel.

message 24: by Simone (new)

Simone Hawkins Samantha The Escapist wrote: "Simone I'm surprised you were able to follow it without having read the books ..."

Yeah, I got a little lost, but I had a basic understanding of what the books were about, I'd had them on my shelf for a while, read the blurb and I had an old friend who ruined it for me by telling me everything that happened. Hence why they sat on my shelf for so long, I hoped time would erase some of the memories.

I actually felt the last 20mins were rushed, having not finished the book yet due to other commitments I still felt like they've probably skipped over bits that would've helped make those last 20-30mins make better sense.

Chloe Henderson As someone who hasn't read the books, ME. I mean, it wasn't a cinematic masterpiece but it was never really intended to be. Producer's of films like this are aware of the fact that they aren't going to be getting stellar reviews on Rotten Tomato's and all that - I can't think of many supernatural YA novel adaptation that have. Regardless I thought the acting was pretty solid, and I could understand the story line without much prior knowledge. I guess as a non-fan it was easier for me to like it, as I didn't have high expectations and criteria to satisfy. I liked it, and might read the books.

Chloe Henderson What am I talking about, I did read a bit of City of Bones! But I abandoned it because I wasn't keen. I found book Clary annoying and typical, whereas Lily Collin's portrayal seemed a lot more grown up and rational. Book Simon was also a nuisance, with his random obsession with Isabelle thankfully played down on the screen. I felt like the film removed a lot of the cliché's that I struggled with in the book.

message 27: by Chloe (last edited Sep 05, 2013 04:43AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Chloe Henderson Jocelin wrote: "I was disappointed in the movie. Thought they did a good job casting with Jace, Simon, Jocelyn Fray, Magnus Bane & Hodge Starkweather. Wasn't really that crazy about Lily Collins portrayal of Clary..."

A sequel is already in production, and the box office wasn't actually as weak as it looked apparently! Everyone treats the film like it was supposed to be a blockbuster, but it wasn't. The movie was produced by a small, independent company in Germany - Sony just distributed it inside the US. The company have said they are very happy with what it earned - having expected about the amount they received - and that they always intended to make a sequel as long as they broke even. I fell victim to the notion that it was supposed to be a twilight level smash as well, but absolutely not. So considering, it actually did really when for when it was released and who it was released by.

Melissa Stahl i definitely enjoyed it... we are actually going to go see the movie again! lol. Personally there were things that they did in the movie that were not done in the book that i liked better... and vice versa. But in any case it was definitely good. :D The cast that was picked out was pretty awesome too. :D The man that played jace(who i was worried about) pulled it off well, and he is pretty good looking...but at times his hair really bugged me :P

Goddess Of Blah Melissa wrote: "i definitely enjoyed it... we are actually going to go see the movie again! lol. Personally there were things that they did in the movie that were not done in the book that i liked better... and vi..."

I agree,. There are defo tings that they did in the movie that were better than the films. Many of the cliches and annoying parts of the book were cut out.

I just re-read the whole book today and I must say I was a bit uncomfortable with the references to religion and the distortion of the Bible (I'm not religious but kids will be watching this) hence glad those were edited out from the movie!

I'm really looking forward to the sequel and I'm also tempted to watch the film again!

message 30: by Goddess (last edited Sep 06, 2013 12:25PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Goddess Of Blah Chloe wrote: "What am I talking about, I did read a bit of City of Bones! But I abandoned it because I wasn't keen. I found book Clary annoying and typical, whereas Lily Collin's portrayal seemed a lot more grow..."

I agree - the annoying parts of Clary and her constant whinging were removed. Plus int he book she doesn't seem so concerned about her mother being kidnapped but in the film she's really upset about it hence that's far more realistic.

On the other hand there were some really funny sarcastic bits that Jace said and did which were not in the movie :-(

Erica I really liked it :) <3 And Jace was soo sexy :3 <3 Omgs...music was really good for fighting moments and movie just was amazing :) i want see next part ;) <3

~*~Princess Nhya~*~ I'm thinkin I'm prob gonna go see it again. LOL

Shelby Shayla-The-Doctorlec-Shadowhunter wrote: "I really enjoyed the movie! No it's not exactly like the book, but as a movie, it's really good. Even as a book adaptation into a movie, it was good."

I agree

Sydney Jenkinson JAMIE CAMPBELL BOWER ♡♡♡♡

Brooke Spivey I liked the movie. Lets face it, the books are always better than the movies because the movies have a short amount of time to get the whole point across. The movie was pretty good in the sense that the characters in the movie looked just like the characters I imagined when I was reading the book. Also I love the fact that they kept some of the same dialogue from the book and kept the same sarcastic tone from the leading guys. All in all its not my favorite movie ever but I was pleased.

message 36: by Anna (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anna Erica wrote: "I really liked it :) <3 And Jace was soo sexy :3 <3 Omgs...music was really good for fighting moments and movie just was amazing :) i want see next part ;) <3"

I agree they picked the perfect actort for jace and he is sexy! and the music was good. I liked the music in the green house. I do hope they make another movie :)

Goddess Of Blah Brooke wrote: "I liked the movie. Lets face it, the books are always better than the movies because the movies have a short amount of time to get the whole point across. The movie was pretty good in the sense t..."

this is really weird (and doesn't always happen) but I think I prefer the film to the books now. I re-read the books and I'm beginning to get annoyed with Clary's character. Particularly in the sequel.

Also the plot holes are really obvious in the book, e.g. Jace doesn't appear to know Clary and Simon's constant references to film cliches but at one point he refers to a film cliche himself.

The book removes this inconsistency thankfully.