YA/NA FANATICS discussion

A Favorite Son
This topic is about A Favorite Son
AUTHOR'S SPACE > A Favorite Son

Comments Showing 1-50 of 70 (70 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Uvi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Uvi Poznansky | 515 comments "I knew it the very next morning, and I still know it now: My brother hates me. He has removed me from his mind, stricken away any thought, any memory about me. I am dead to him. The scary part is, that being dead will not stand in the way of him killing me, if ever he lays eyes on me again.
It is an odd feeling. Have you ever faced it? Being dead to someone you envy; someone you miss, too; someone who knows you intimately and, even worse, has the chutzpa to occupy your thoughts day in, day out. It grinds down on your nerves; doesn’t it?
Trust me, being dead to your brother is not all that it is cracked up to be, but it does set you free—oh, don’t act so surprised! It frees you from any lingering sense of obligation. Brother, you say to yourself. What does it mean, Brother? Nothing more than a pang, a dull pang in your heart.
You have betrayed him. Accept his hate."

Yankle, in A Favorite Son

My retelling of the biblical story of Jacob and Esau takes the time to concentrate on two things: the contemplation of the crime, and the mental anguish afterwards. Here is another view of my Ceramic sculpture of the character. It is called "What if my father touches me."

★★★★★ A FAVORITE SON
AudioEbookPrint

message 2: by Uvi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Uvi Poznansky | 515 comments “Are you jealous?” I tease him. “I can’t believe it!”
To which he roars, “You do nothing, you! You cook, you hide. Coward! Aha, coward you!”
He takes one step forward; I take two back. The arrows slung over his shoulder clink against each other. It is a steely, menacing sound. With one blow of his hand, he smacks down the canvas; and, on the double, the entire tent is flattened into a lopsided mess, collapsing upon itself; its pegs flying clear out, bouncing over and over, over the soft sand.
He gets in my face; we are standing nose to nose. The moment I have dreaded all my life is suddenly upon me, and there is no way to withdraw. I have to face him, which forces me to examine him closely...

This excerpt, in Yankle's voice, captures the beginning of a dialog between him and his twin brother Esav, who is coming back from a day of hunt utterly famished, and tested to the limit of his wits by the smell of the lentil stew. Here is this snippet in audio:

To listen to this audio excerpt, click the link
http://uviart.blogspot.com/2013/03/ar...

message 3: by Uvi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Uvi Poznansky | 515 comments

☻/
/▌
/ \    Looking for a great read? 
Check these out: $.99 each (a third of the original price) today only, but that's not the reason to get them--the reviews are!

Check them out:
★★★★★
Twisted ★ A Favorite Son ★ Home ★ Apart From Love ★

message 4: by Uvi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Uvi Poznansky | 515 comments "When I sprinkle my secret blend of spices; here, take a sniff, can you smell it? When I chop these mouthwatering sun-dried tomatoes, add a few cloves of garlic for good measure, and let it all sizzle with lentils and meat—it becomes so scrumptious, so lip-smacking, finger-licking, melt-in-your-mouth good!
There is a certain ratio of flavors, a balance that creates a feast for the tongue and a delight for the mind; and having mastered that balance, with a pinch of imported cumin from the north of Persia, a dash of Saffron from the south of Egypt, I can tell you one thing: When the pot comes to a full bubbling point, and the aroma of the stew rises up in the air—it would make you dribble! Drive you to madness! For a single bite, you would sell your brother, if only you had one! "

This is the voice of Yankle, in my new ebook, A Favorite Son. Modeled on the biblical story which is truly fascinating to me, this is a present-day twist. At this point in the story he is preparing a lentile stew for his brother, Esau, who comes home so hungry from a day of hunt, he is prepared to throw away up his birthright for a bite of that stew.

Later in the story Yankle will resort to cheating his father, who is lying on his deathbed, to steal away the inheritance. Here is a ceramic sculpture of Jacob preparing to wear the hide of a kid on his arm, so that if his father will touch him, he will mistake Jacob for his hairy brother Esau. In this piece, I focus on the moment of contemplating the crime, rather than the moment of action. He is about to make a choice: is the inheritance truly worth the price of losing his honesty, his soul?

message 5: by Uvi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Uvi Poznansky | 515 comments Things are happening so fast that my head is spinning! Author of War Songs, Grady Harp is an artist representative, gallery owner, writer of essays and articles on figurative and all Representational art for museum catalogues and for traveling exhibitions, and an Amazon Hall of Fame Reviewer. He describes himself as being ever on the alert for the new and promising geniuses of tomorrow. So I am deeply honored that he has posted this five-star review on Amazon for my just-published ebook, A Favorite Son:

5.0 out of 5 stars Betrayal and Consequences, January 1, 2013
By Grady Harp (Los Angeles, CA United States)
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER) (VINE VOICE) (TOP 50 REVIEWER) (REAL NAME)
Uvi Poznansky has that enviable ability to push paint and words into that category of combining reality with fantasy, myth with story, tradition with contemporary sidebars. She has ably accomplished that in THE FAVORITE SON, drawing upon the Biblical tale of Isaac and his twin sons by his late birthing wife Rebecca - Jacob and Esau.

Isaac is growing old and his inheritance is to be passed to his firstborn. Therein lies the problem: Esau and Jacob were twins and in Poznansky's version, Esau pushes Jacob to the back of the womb allowing Esau to be the firstborn son. An inimical relationship dwells between the brothers - Esau is big and hairy and a hunter while Jacob is more his mother's son, interested in cooking and in the beautiful clothes and jewelry his mother Rebecca owns. Rebecca (or Becky as she is called in this quasi updated version) favors Jacob and plans the deception of Isaac by designing a goatskin arm form a beloved coat to place on Jacob's arm when Isaac will make the pronouncement of his passing of the inheritance. Or interest, Jacob has already tricked Esau with his cooking wiles and Esau has promised Jacob his inheritance. But as the story develops the sibling rivalry is complicated by the mother's intervention and Jacob is granted the inheritance as well as the love of the father who has always favored his older brother.

What Poznansky has managed to do is include many of the aspects of the lineage of Abraham to Isaac to Jacob and the stories that surround them: in Poznansky's tale the miracle of Jacob's ladder is inserted - and even that happed long after the birthright theft. She manages to bring the story forward by inserting contemporary language (Isaac even promises Rebecca the equivalent of a Rolls Royce!) and in doing so she opens the old story to be instead a lively psychological study of family and of greed and longing for paternal love and more. It works spectacularly well. Would that more of the Old Testament stories could be updated like this then perhaps more children would be fascinated with the abundant mythological stories of the Bible. Grady Harp, January 13

A Favorite Son by Uvi Poznansky

message 6: by Uvi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Uvi Poznansky | 515 comments Just discovered a new review for A Favorite Son:

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, September 5, 2013
By Terina Killings - See all my reviews
Amazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)
This review is from: A Favorite Son (Paperback)
I am very satisfied.
This book reminds me of my love of words. The mastery of sculpture in every emotion let me the reader see that I am the words of the Arthur as I remembered my humanity blowing freely from this artistes every stroke.
I have related and smiled at a dimension of perspective. I finished satisfied as though I dined with the Arthur and the characters realizing we all have dined here before. Uvi is a special Artist and she is leading the way into the art of thought. May her trail blaze ever more until the end of night is meet.

message 7: by Uvi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Uvi Poznansky | 515 comments James DiBenedetto, the author of Dream Student (and other books in this series) currently lives in Arlington, Virginia with his beautiful wife and their cat (who has thoroughly trained them both). I am honored that he posted this review for the audiobook edition of A Favorite Son:

★★★★★ Beautiful and Haunting, September 11, 2013
By James Dibenedetto "starkllr"
Amazon Verified Purchase

(note: this review is of the audiobook edition of "A Favorite Son" narrated by David Kudler)

Uvi Poznansky's "A Favorite Son" is a modern-day retelling of the story of Jacob and Esau, one brother tricking the other out of his birthright. But it's also so much more than that.

The author's prose is simply beautiful; she paints intricate and emotionally resonant pictures with her words, drawing us into the Biblical/modern world that she's created. We see everything from the perspective of Yankel, who seeks to claim the position of firstborn and favorite son from his twin, Esav - and who learns the true cost of his desires.

I can't praise the writing enough; the author has an incredible voice and a sharply observant eye (it's no surprise that she's a visual artist as well).

As for the audiobook aspects, the narrator, David Kudler, did a wonderful job. His reading of the story was perfectly done; he captures the voices of all the characters, making them not only distinct but memorable. His delivery perfectly complements the author's tone, making the audiobook a real treat.

I highly, highly recommend this book.

Get ★★★★★ A FAVORITE SON:
AudioPrintEbook

message 8: by Uvi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Uvi Poznansky | 515 comments Wow what an amazing review! Thank you Debra!

★★★★★ A Shining Light!, September 11, 2013
By debra (WILSON, NC, United States) - See all my reviews
(REAL NAME)

In A Favorite Son, Uvi Poznansky presents in her brilliant lyrical style the account of Jacob and Esau, Rebecca and Isaac, adding flesh to the bones of an ancient story and breathing new life into the characters you thought you knew. Anyone who knows this biblical story will recognize Poznansky's extraordinary imagination as she fluidly spins desert yarns, weaving spellbinding moments, creating dramatic images, and engaging every sense.

That lentil stew...to die for! So "scrumptious, so lipsmacking, finger-licking, melt-in-your-mouth good!" that you can't help but empathize with poor Esau. Well, almost. If he weren't so gruff and primitive and impatient - "Give me. Give me now!" - compared to his more sophisticated brother, the mama's boy...

And Rebecca, stuck out in the middle of nowhere in her silk garments and snake skin heels and jasmine perfume, is to the wasteland what Lisa Douglas was to Green Acres: an unhappy camper. Thus her goatskin scheme, and "the meat becomes a love offering... and the old man will bless his favorite, the one he trusts."

Exiled from the circle of warmth he'd always known, Yankle is forced to listen, really listen, to the desert, and feel the void, the silence of God. In this poignant scene he sees the vision for which he is celebrated far and wide - an unforgettable moment.

I'd encourage Uvi to write more such biblical accounts, convince us further just how human these characters are, show us their flaws, their hopes and dreams, take us deep into their psyches and allow us to know them more intimately, as she has here. More. Give us more!

Get ★★★★★ A FAVORITE SON:
AudioPrintEbook

message 9: by Uvi (last edited Sep 16, 2013 08:14PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Uvi Poznansky | 515 comments ★★★★★ Powerful and Compelling, August 15, 2013
By Warrior Princess (Karmoy, Norway)
Amazon Verified Purchase

One of the most unforgettable images in "A Favorite Son" is the long-sleeved goatskin coat of the narrator's mother. At the beginning, the coat is described as "kept safely in her chest, hidden from the eyes of the world." As the story unfolds, in an effort to protect, conceal, and betray, this treasured coat is ripped to shreds, becoming a vivid symbol of the power struggle tearing this family apart.

In "A Favorite Son," Uvi Poznansky engages the readers with the eternal themes that have occupied people's minds since times immemorial. It is a story of complicated family relationships, love, death, vengeance, and betrayal.

The first person narrator of the story mesmerizes the readers with his authentic, sincere, and honest voice. Honest despite the ultimate act of deceit he is about to commit. In his own words, "I am bold, fierce, adventurous. I am my father's favorite son." And that is indeed true, just not in the way it seems on the surface.

The narrator's relationships with his blind father, with his twin brother, and with the mother are all complicated in different ways. His love and admiration for the mother is evident at many points in the story, but especially when he describes the mother's treacherous journey from her homeland to the place where they live now, "their wasteland." As the story unfolds, the flawed nature of the first-person narrator becomes more and more evident to the readers. Even his love for his mother acquires new and frightening dimensions.

"My path was slippery, for a torrent of rain poured down mercilessly upon the earth," says the narrator at one point, and he is not only referring to the physical terrain, but to the state of his mind and his soul. This book encourages the reader to "look directly at yourself facing the pain and the ugly imperfections within."

Highly recommended.

Get A FAVORITE SON:
AudioPrintEbook

message 10: by Uvi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Uvi Poznansky | 515 comments Praveen from AEL Data Services LLC wrote this to me:

Our team has already fallen in love with your work "A Favorite Son" It's an amazing story. We want to feature "A Favorite Son" on our pages for that matter. Could you send me the material required for this novel?

I sent him a brief article about the inspiration for the book, which will be posted soon. Meanwhile, his team composed this lovely picture and presented the book, here:

Presenting A Favorite Son

message 11: by Uvi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Uvi Poznansky | 515 comments I sit there at her feet watching her work. My mother is so skillful in manipulating that sleeve. Inside of it, my limb feels hot, suffocated. I let her control me, control my hand. It is no longer my hand.
By and by, a perfect calm comes upon me. I have no thought in my head, no clue that this is to be the last sunrise, the last morning that I spend with my mother; no premonition that our time together is running out, and that I should kiss her, and hug her, and bid her farewell.
Yet for some reason, glancing around me, I commit to memory every aspect of this scene, every detail: The vivid pattern of the rug, spread across the dirt floor. The embroidered silk pillows, leaning against the woven headrest. The little blemish, barely visible in the corner of the blanket. The silver thread coming apart, at one point, at the bottom of the canvas. The jug of water, half hidden behind the curved leg of the bed.
I can hear little noises: The occasional cry of a newborn baby, searching blindly for his mother’s breast. The light snores of the maidservants, some of whom are just starting to wake up, only to fall asleep again. The yawns of the shepherd boys, stretching their limbs lazily under the sheepskins in the neighboring tents. The unrest of the sheep, the lambs, the kids, the goats, all eager to go out there, to graze in the sun-flooded fields.
Meanwhile the needle flies back and forth, forth and back, over my shoulder, catching the light in its path. I am transfixed. I wish I could stay here forever. This place is so full of charms.
This hour is so intimate; so sweet, and it is fast coming to its bitter conclusion.

And the only thing that disturbs me, the only thing that stands here between us, is not being able to look each other in the eyes, during the last moments that remain to us.

My mother gets up. She is a petite woman, but the snakeskin shoes give her some stature. She throws the remains of the damaged coat back into the chest. Then she pulls out one of her fur hats and sinks her face into it, taking in the smell. “The air of the hunt,” she says, then hands it to me. “Here, put it on.”

Yankle in A Favorite Son

This is my charcoal on paper drawing of Rebecca's hands upon the hairy goatskin coat

Love biblical fiction?
Treat yourself to a gift:
A Favorite Son
★ Audiobook ★ Ebook ★ Print ★

message 12: by Uvi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Uvi Poznansky | 515 comments A great audiobook review by the author of Dream Student, James DiBenedetto

★★★★★ Overall
★★★★★ Performance
★★★★★ Story

"Beautiful and Haunting"
Would you recommend this audiobook to a friend? If so, why?

Absolutely! The writing is beautiful, the story compelling, and the narration excellent
(and perfectly suited to the tone of the book)

What did you like best about this story?
The author's use of language is just incredible. Her prose paints a picture that it's easy to be drawn into (it's no surprise that the author is a visual artist as well).

Which scene was your favorite?
I enjoyed the opening chapter, when Yankel makes and describes the lentil stew that he will use to buy his brother's birthright.

If you were to make a film of this book, what would the tag line be?
A Timeless Story of Greed and Betrayal

Any additional comments?
I was really overwhelmed by the quality of the writing, and really impressed by how well the narration complemented it. This really is a case where the whole becomes greater than the sum of two already excellent parts.

Audible page for A Favorite Son

message 13: by Uvi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Uvi Poznansky | 515 comments A First Glimpse into The David Chronicles

So, you may ask. What now? Having published four books in a year and a half, are you working on something new?

It's a good thing you asked, and yes, I am! My new novel is halfway done. It explores the life of one of the most fascinating characters in our culture: David. Here he is, pondering how to become larger than life:

I often wonder, what was it in Saul, what quality brought people to their knees in his presence, even in the early years, before he was anointed? What was it that made so many of them follow him, to the point of risking their lives? I have turned this question over and over in my mind, and the more ways I look at it, the more I find it baffling. There must be more to leadership than wearing a crown.
For now, this is what I have come to believe: people will follow, if they perceive that their leader is larger than life.
For Saul, this is easy. He is so damn tall!
But stature is only a part of his power. To make his authority even more visible to his subjects—and discourage anyone from doubting it—he adopted some manners, some symbols of high ranking. Which he must have learned from the hieroglyphic stone carvings of foreign war memorials.
These symbols include not just this court, but the walled gardens, too. Looking at the waterfalls pumping here continuously I have to remind myself that it is not the stronghold of some royal dynasty, dominating the Nile delta or the Babylonian Tigris and Euphrates. Set against the view of the poorest sun-stricken desert in Canaan, where water is scarce, this palace seems like a foreign place.
And looking at the center of all this, at the King himself, I have to pinch myself. He is a striking figure, and not just because of his royal garb. Just like painted icons—those of the god-kings of Egypt, and of the high priests of Akkadian empire—he has a magnificent beard, the likes of which I have never seen on another man before.
It is carefully groomed, oiled and dressed using tongs and curling irons to create elaborate ringlets and tiered patterns. Often dyed reddish brown with Henna, it is plaited with an interwoven gold thread. And in place of the ornamental scepter of the Egyptian monarchs, Saul holds the next best thing: his weapon. A spear.
I collect these details in my mind and examine them at length, all the while growing more restless. It is hunger for success, hunger for what he has, that turns in my guts.
No longer do I ask, what was it in him that allowed him to become who he is. Instead I wonder, whatever it might be, is it in me? Do I have what it takes to become a leader? A King, even?
And on my way up, how do I overcome my shortcomings? How does a kid like me—who is too young to grow even a single hair on his chin, let alone a fancy beard like his—find a way to project himself into an iconic role, a role that will become memorable for ages to come?
In short: how do I become larger than life?

The David Chronicles: Reach for Power

Here is my pencil doodle of the word Larger

message 14: by Uvi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Uvi Poznansky | 515 comments The First Born son! It came to mean everything for me: The upper hand in life! The inheritance in full: Herds, camels, women, gold coins! And above all—taking over my father’s position and, in time, becoming the leader, the rightful head of the family. I had to win it all—or else be left with nothing.
If not the First Born son, I might as well be a bastard. And so, in my quest for legitimacy, I knew I had to betray my brother. I had to fool my father. What I failed to predict was the formation of a hole in my life. How could I expect loneliness.
I underestimated its weight; to my astonishment, it grows heavier and more burdensome now, with every passing year.

Yankle in A Favorite Son

message 15: by Uvi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Uvi Poznansky | 515 comments We have not been camping close to a well for nearly three days now—but I happen to know where water can be found, because in her tent, under her bed, my mother keeps a full jug, for no one else but me. And so, I bring it to him, catching myself in an unexpectedly generous mood. He takes a long gulp. Then he has to catch his breath.
“Yankle?” he says.
“Yes, Esav?”
“What is this smell? So good...”
“It’s my new recipe! I call it a stew.”
“Give me. Give me now!”
“Well, no,” I say. “There are limits to my generosity.”
“You be sorry,” says he.
“Well, what’s in it for me?”
“Huh?”
“Do I really have to explain? What will you give me in return?”
“Give you?” he flares up. “A big smack.”
“Oh well,” I laugh in his face. “Forget it, then.”
He falls to some deep thoughts, by the end of which he throws his hands up in the air. “I give you something,” he offers. “Anything.”
I smile. “You know what I want.”
Then he hesitates. “No. Not that.”
Well, by now you know me: I can find a way, some way to convince him. So I go over to my big pot and, as theatrically as I can, raise the iron lid.
Out comes a puff of steam, escaping high into the air and carrying with it the most tempting, most delectable scent. Then, using my brother’s arrow as a skewer, I pierce through the juiciest, most succulent piece of meat, and bring it right under his nose.

Yankle in A Favorite Son

Love biblical fiction?
Treat yourself to a gift
A Favorite Son
★  Audiobook ★ Ebook ★ Print ★

message 16: by Uvi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Uvi Poznansky | 515 comments From my upcoming book, The David Chronicles: Rise to Power

The tip of my pen is dull, and the ink has dried, but that cannot stop me from writing. Nothing will. I am grasping for power once again, but in a different way than I did back then. This time I can see, with great clarity, that power does not come from the crown.
At long last I have no urge anymore to keep my grasp on it. Now I know, power comes from within, from something else entirely: my skill with words. I wish I would have recognized it a long time ago, on my first visit to the royal court. Perhaps then I would have become a poet. Not a King.
It is still a long time from daybreak, and the girl’s breast heaves as she mumbles something, some unclear word. She is so close at hand and yet, so far out of my reach.
When I was first crowned, I was such a vigorous young man that no illness could keep me away from my dear wives and concubines. If I would catch a cold, all of them would be sneezing. I know, somehow, that unlike all the women I have had, Abishag is the one I will never know.
I hold my breath until she lulls herself back to sleep. Faint shadows start dancing on the wall. I read the shapes, trying to invent someone, a listener. You.
I whisper, Come in... Call me insane, who cares? Who the hell cares if you refuse to trust me, if you insist on clinging to your kind of reality, which is as dull as it is solid... Mine, I insist, is not a dream. But even if it is... Even so, it is true! How can you deny it? Here is my story. I am opening it up to you.
I can see why at first glance what you see here—these records which I jotted here, on these papyrus rolls—may seem scattered, even scary. I understand why you step back from my door, why look over your shoulder to find the guard...
Come in! Will you? Will you read these scribblings? Can you see my sword, which I have drawn here, look! Can you see it the way I do, lifting out of the ink and into the air, turning magically over, around and around, right in the center of the space? If you can, then—by the flash of it—I shall take you along, to leap with me into the surface of the steely thing. Into my reflection.

David, in my upcoming book, The David Chronicles Vol. I: Rise to Power

My quick color sketch, David Playing Before Saul

message 17: by Uvi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Uvi Poznansky | 515 comments Just discovered a new review for A Favorite Son:

★★★★★ Do yourself a favor and taste the passion of this mother's experience in this biblical tale., November 2, 2013
By Larry Winebrenner (Miami Gardens, FL, USA)
Amazon Verified Purchase

No one with a knowledge of the biblical Jacob/Esau story can miss the basic source of this story. The treatment from a mother's point of view is revealing in a way that cannot be shown in a simple retelling of the story. Some may claim the story misses the details and thrust of the original tale, but those critics miss the maternal aspect of the story. Experiencing the real presence within the lives of the participants provides a sense of reality and anguish.

message 18: by Uvi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Uvi Poznansky | 515 comments Yet for some reason, glancing around me, I commit to memory every aspect of this scene, every detail: The vivid pattern of the rug, spread across the dirt floor. The embroidered silk pillows, leaning against the woven headrest. The little blemish, barely visible in the corner of the blanket. The silver thread coming apart, at one point, at the bottom of the canvas. The jug of water, half hidden behind the curved leg of the bed.
I can hear little noises: The occasional cry of a newborn baby, searching blindly for his mother’s breast. The light snores of the maidservants, some of whom are just starting to wake up, only to fall asleep again. The yawns of the shepherd boys, stretching their limbs lazily under the sheepskins in the neighboring tents. The unrest of the sheep, the lambs, the kids, the goats, all eager to go out there, to graze in the sun-flooded fields.
Meanwhile the needle flies back and forth, forth and back, over my shoulder, catching the light in its path. I am transfixed. I wish I could stay here forever. This place is so full of charms.
This hour is so intimate; so sweet, and it is fast coming to its bitter conclusion.

Yankle, in A Favorite Son

This is my clay sculpture called Yawn

★★★★★
"I can't praise the writing enough; the author has an incredible voice"
Treat yourself to a gift
A Favorite Son
Audiobook ★ Ebook ★ Print ★

message 19: by Uvi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Uvi Poznansky | 515 comments My guest post on Lektz, the eBook eCommerce Platform, has just gone live, It starts with the following words:

"I have long been fascinated with the story of Jacob and Esav. To me, it captures several layers of emotions which we all go through in our families: a rivalry between brothers, the way a mother’s love, unevenly divided, can spur them to action, to crime, even; and how in time, even in the absence of regret, a punishment eventually ripens.

The story had been brewing in me for several years before I put pen to paper. Being an artist, I had expressed it through sculpture long before I wrote the words. So here you can see Yankle and his mother Becky, plotting to cheat the father. Out of a sense of shame, they are unable to look each other in the eye..."

Check it out, here:
The inspiration for "A Favorite Son"

Going home for the holidays? Bring a gift...
Get ★★★★★ #biblical A FAVORITE SON
♥ Audio ♥ http://tinyurl.com/fvort-a
♥ Print ♥ http://tinyurl.com/fvort-p
♥ Ebook ♥ http://tinyurl.com/fvort-e

message 20: by Uvi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Uvi Poznansky | 515 comments “Isaac my dear, you know well enough how grateful I am—”
“Becky my dear,” he says, with a note of disdain. “What I know is this: Anyone else in my position would have at his disposal at least two or three legally registered wives, not to mention a respectably large harem, full of concubines—”
Being a practical woman, she decides to ignore that. “Fine, then,” she says. “So now, dear: How about giving me some means of transportation? The rich women, I hear, those in the cities along the coast, in Ashdod and also in Ashkelon, they have started to buy new automobiles. And I, I live here in the desert but still, Isaac, I come from nobility, you know, from one of the richest families in the land.”
“What kind of transportation?”
“A camel, for instance,” she says. “Two humps, or more, as well as a driver or two, or more; and four leather saddles, the soft kind, of course. It would be but a small token, a token of prestige—”
“For goodness sake,” he groans. “It’s a camel you’re talking about—not a Rolls Royce!”
“I see,” she says. “You don’t love me anymore.”
For the first time in the conversation, his voice softens. “Don’t cry, Becky,” he pleads. “I love you. I will always love you—”

I imagine she must be smiling through the tears. “In that case,” she says, “I will always take such good care of you.”

Rebecca and Isaac, in A Favorite Son

★★★★★
Gift for the holidays: treat yourself to it!
"I can't praise the writing enough; the author has an incredible voice"
A Favorite Son
Audiobook ★ Ebook ★ Print ★

message 21: by Uvi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Uvi Poznansky | 515 comments The title of this review for A Favorite Son says it all:

★★★★★ Got this for my 88 yr old home bound mothers Kindel., November 24, 2013 Got this for my 88 yr old home bound mothers Kindel., November 24, 2013
By Mary Watkins
Amazon Verified Purchase

Bought this book for my 88 year old mother who is home bound. Downloaded it to her Kindle. She loves reading and loves history, mystery, Sy-Fy, love stories (Amish type, not porn type!). She loves these books

message 22: by Uvi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Uvi Poznansky | 515 comments I am grateful to Author Roy Murry for inviting me for a second interview on his blog, a place well known for his book reviews and author interviews. This time, his questions focused on my book, A Favorite Son. I loved the question, How did you come up with the story? To which I replied:

I have long been fascinated with the story of Jacob and Esav. To me, it captures several layers of emotions which we all go through in our families: a rivalry between brothers, the way a mother’s love, unevenly divided, can spur them to action, to crime, even; and how in time, even in the absence of regret, a punishment eventually ripens...

To read the interview in full click here:
Interview with Uvi Poznansky

message 23: by Uvi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Uvi Poznansky | 515 comments The old year passes, time is swift
Now it's time to give a gift
Tis the season to be jolly
Curl in bed and no more folly
I have a story that must be told
With me in bed you won't be cold:

★★★★★ Rise to Power http://tinyurl.com/risepower-e
★★★★★ Apart From Love http://tinyurl.com/aprtl-e
★★★★★ A Favorite Son http://tinyurl.com/fvort-e
★★★★★ Twisted http://tinyurl.com/Twisted-ebook
★★★★★ Home http://tinyurl.com/Home-ebook

message 24: by Uvi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Uvi Poznansky | 515 comments ★★★★★ Review of A Favorite Son, December 16, 2013
By Roy. Murry "Roy" (Florida) - See all my reviews
Amazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)
This review is from: A Favorite Son (Kindle Edition)
Review of A Favorite Son
Written by Uvi Poznansky

Reviewed by Author Roy Murry

Uvi’s writing is unique in this short rendition of a story as old as Abraham -wanting something that is not yours. The first born is the benefactor of their father’s fortune – lands, goats, and whatever are the items left behind by their father. The head of the tribe words are final. All other siblings must rely on the first born to take care of them.

It’s a basic theme that Ms. Poznansky has developed into a smooth and humorist read. The wife asks for a camel from the king, while he is on his death bed. She doesn’t want one of those automobiles they have out west. She begs for this comfort to no avail. Your son will provide for you the man replies.

That and other off the wall snippets will bring the reader to reality. However, the story resides in a wealthy man’s desert serfdom, where women have no say and only what he says rules. This is a problem with his wife who feels her favorite son should reap the benefits of first born since she thinks he is more equipped to rule over the tribe.

That woven into a deceit of an uncommon kind, propels the story forward to an understandable conclusion. Ms. Poznansky weaves a plot that is told by the second son, who instead in confronting the situation upfront, listens to his mother into a void he cannot handle.

Plot: enjoyable; Characters: believable; and the prose was easy to read.

message 25: by Uvi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Uvi Poznansky | 515 comments "I try to recover. Gradually I become more alert and—bracing myself—I can hear things with great clarity: First, the silence. So dead, so complete. So divine, even. Then, you: You moving, you taking something out of that bundle; something I do not wish to see. It gives a slight, subtle swoosh... You are holding it in your hands, raising it to my eyes, asking me some question, over and again until, in my despair, I have no choice: I stamp my foot, trying not to hear, not to look. I am beside myself, so desperate to stop you. At last I cry, Enough!
Oh please... Just stop... There is no need to ask me anymore, do I recognize this thing—this unusually beautiful, striped thing that is slashed here, and here it is torn to pieces..."

Get ★★★★★ A FAVORITE SON
Audio http://tinyurl.com/fvort-a
Print http://bookShow.me/0984993258
Ebook http://bookShow.me/B00AUZ3LGU

message 26: by Uvi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Uvi Poznansky | 515 comments Gone viral with 248 shares to Facebook, my post titled 'A Favorite Son and The Perils of Biblical Inspiration' made it to the top ten (most popular) list on Christoph Fischer's blog! In fact it is in 3rd place!

Christoph is a talented author of historical fiction, and top Amazon and Goodreads reviewer, so this means a lot to me. Check it out:

Top 10 Books 2013

message 27: by Uvi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Uvi Poznansky | 515 comments It all started, innocently enough, with a meal. A real meal, I mean, made with a fresh kill over a roaring fire, under the open sky; not one that is made with stored, half-cooked cuts of meat and reheated, somehow, in a stuffy restaurant kitchen, the likes of which can be found down over there, along the inhabited, coastal regions of Canaan, near the city of Ashdod. Luckily none of those establishments can be found here, at the frontier of this desert, which is where our camp is set.
Don’t let them fool you: Anyone can barbecue a steak—but really, cooking a stew is another matter altogether. The pot must be simmering for several hours; and so, from time to time you must drizzle in some water, which in this wasteland is nearly impossible to come by. Most wells around here are bone-dry, or else fiercely guarded, and rarely shared by other tribes.
Next you must find a well-trained chef. So let me assure you, son: There is no soul in the entire world, or at least in these parts, in Canaan, with a better nose than mine. Yankle’s nose—no one comes close!
When I sprinkle my secret blend of spices; here, take a sniff, can you smell it? When I chop these mouthwatering sun-dried tomatoes, add a few cloves of garlic for good measure, and let it all sizzle with lentils and meat—it becomes so scrumptious, so lip-smacking, finger-licking, melt-in-your-mouth good!
There is a certain ratio of flavors, a balance that creates a feast for the tongue and a delight for the mind; and having mastered that balance, with a pinch of imported cumin from the north of Persia, a dash of Saffron from the south of Egypt, I can tell you one thing: When the pot comes to a full bubbling point, and the aroma of the stew rises up in the air—it would make you dribble! Drive you to madness! For a single bite, you would sell your brother, if only you had one!

Yankle in A Favorite Son

message 28: by Uvi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Uvi Poznansky | 515 comments It all started, innocently enough, with a meal. A real meal, I mean, made with a fresh kill over a roaring fire, under the open sky; not one that is made with stored, half-cooked cuts of meat and reheated, somehow, in a stuffy restaurant kitchen, the likes of which can be found down over there, along the inhabited, coastal regions of Canaan, near the city of Ashdod. Luckily none of those establishments can be found here, at the frontier of this desert, which is where our camp is set.
Don’t let them fool you: Anyone can barbecue a steak—but really, cooking a stew is another matter altogether. The pot must be simmering for several hours; and so, from time to time you must drizzle in some water, which in this wasteland is nearly impossible to come by. Most wells around here are bone-dry, or else fiercely guarded, and rarely shared by other tribes.
Next you must find a well-trained chef. So let me assure you, son: There is no soul in the entire world, or at least in these parts, in Canaan, with a better nose than mine. Yankle’s nose—no one comes close!
When I sprinkle my secret blend of spices; here, take a sniff, can you smell it? When I chop these mouthwatering sun-dried tomatoes, add a few cloves of garlic for good measure, and let it all sizzle with lentils and meat—it becomes so scrumptious, so lip-smacking, finger-licking, melt-in-your-mouth good!
There is a certain ratio of flavors, a balance that creates a feast for the tongue and a delight for the mind; and having mastered that balance, with a pinch of imported cumin from the north of Persia, a dash of Saffron from the south of Egypt, I can tell you one thing: When the pot comes to a full bubbling point, and the aroma of the stew rises up in the air—it would make you dribble! Drive you to madness! For a single bite, you would sell your brother, if only you had one!

Yankle in A Favorite Son

message 29: by Uvi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Uvi Poznansky | 515 comments The moment I have dreaded for quite some time is upon me... My new release Rise to Power has been charged, and with words none too kind: "Not Kosher." And my book A Favorite Son has been named 'the worst story ever read' based on an accusation of blasphemy. So I invite you to make your own judgement:

Is it blasphemy? "Not Kosher"? You Decide!

message 30: by Uvi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Uvi Poznansky | 515 comments Yael Politis is an author and translator. Her three historical novels The Way the World Is, Olivia, Mourning and The Lonely Tree are exquisitely written. So I am deeply honored that she posted this review for my story, A Favorite Son:

★★★★★ Re-reading the Bible, January 13, 2014
By Yael Politis (Pardes Hanna, Israel) - See all my reviews
Amazon Verified Purchase

Ms. Poznansky provides a new interpretation of the rivalry between Jacob and Esau - or Ya’acov and Esav as pronounced in Hebrew. In fact, she focuses on this story more as a power struggle between Rebecca and Isaac than between their twin sons, as well as a cautionary tale about the consequences of parental favoritism.

As Ya’acov muses: “But I think, it is one thing for me to cheat my brother. It is another thing altogether for her to do it to her son.”

And after stealing his father’s blessing and fleeing his camp Ya’acov finds himself alone in the desert, thinking, “Well, if that was a blessing, I wonder what a curse might look like; because here I am, lost, hungry, empty-handed, and stranded in the middle of nowhere.”

Ms. Poznansky has added to the story several elements that - to the best of my recollection - do not exist in the Biblical tale, one of them being a meeting in the desert between Rebecca and her two sons, after which: “Beware, my son!” said the voice. “Being the favorite son is as much of a curse as being the one rejected.”

This curse is bequeathed to the next generation - to Ya’acov and Yosef - and the author provides a novel idea for how Yosef came by his beautiful striped coat of many colors. Read A Favorite Son to find out how.

message 31: by Uvi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Uvi Poznansky | 515 comments My author friends have joined forces with me!
We bring you amazing stories, narrated by great voice actors, just in time for Valentine’s day.
Click the profile image of each one of us to learn about our work
Then go to Be my Valentine and join to win!

message 32: by Uvi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Uvi Poznansky | 515 comments What does she want, come Valentine's day?
In cupid's name, what should I say?

She smiles. "Bring me Home, Apart From Love...
Then I'll be yours, like a hand and a glove."

And you say, "Give me A Favorite Son...
Now let's blow off the candles, one by one."

The flame goes out, all Twisted in smoke
Time to come in and take off your cloak.

$0.99 bargain sale, today only

♥ Rise to Power ♥ http://bookShow.me/B00H6PMZ0U
♥ A Favorite Son ♥ http://bookShow.me/B00AUZ3LGU
♥ Twisted ♥ http://bookShow.me/B00D7Q3IY4
♥ Home ♥ http://bookShow.me/B00960TE3Y

message 33: by Uvi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Uvi Poznansky | 515 comments Here is a lovely new audible review, written by Aaron Paul Lazaar. Aaron Aaron is a mystery writer author, and many of his books have audiobook editions. I am thrilled by what he says about the narration of A Favorite Son:

"A Unique and Fascinating Listen!"
Where does A Favorite Son rank among all the audiobooks you’ve listened to so far?
It's very hard for me to place this among my other audio books, which are all either mystery, suspense, or thriller. This is a totally different style of book, so it would have to be looked at as a standalone. That said, this is a superbly produced, high quality piece of work. The story is beautifully written and the narration is top notch.

What did you like best about this story?
Although this type of parable-style story set in distant desert lands was completely out of my usual genre, I found it fascinating, and was disappointed when it was over.

What about David Kudler’s performance did you like?
I loved the narrator's amazing array of voices. His accents were so well done, I was blown away by his interpretation and acting skills. I will be looking him up to see what else he does in "real life," for he sounded as though he could have done a one man show on Broadway, he was "that" good.

Did you have an extreme reaction to this book? Did it make you laugh or cry?
No, but it piqued my curiosity constantly. I loved the twists and turns and symbolic nature of the story and objects highlighted within.

Any additional comments?
A surprising gem among books - take a listen!

message 34: by Uvi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Uvi Poznansky | 515 comments A lovely review from Jennifer Garcia for the audiobook edition of A Favorite Son:

★★★★★ Sibling Rivalry, February 18, 2014
By Jennifer Garcia "itlnbrt" (Los Angeles, CA USA)
Amazon Verified Purchase

This was a lovely story written about a set of twins fighting for the birthright. Of course the one born first got it, and the second one spent his life jealous of it and finally tricked his brother out of it.

It was beautifully written and flowed so well. I thoroughly enjoyed every second of it. The narrator was great and did a wonderful job with the voices and narration.

Get ★★★★★ A FAVORITE SON
Audio http://tinyurl.com/fvort-a
Print http://bookShow.me/0984993258
Ebook http://bookShow.me/B00AUZ3LGU

message 35: by Uvi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Uvi Poznansky | 515 comments A Favorite Son is FREE today!
Hurry, get it now! Only a few more hours remaining:

message 36: by Uvi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Uvi Poznansky | 515 comments ★★★★★ Isaac, Rebecca, and Sons: A modernized, sometimes funny, psychological perspective, March 20, 2014
By Judie Amsel (Mayfield Heights, OH USA)
Amazon Verified Purchase

Sometimes it is helpful to hear a familiar story from a different perspective in order to understand more of what the story says and doesn’t say. A FAVORITE SON does that with the biblical story of Jacob (Yanklel), his parents, Isaac and Rebecca, and his twin brother, Esau (Esav).
Uvi Poznansky tells the story from both a biblical and modern perspective emphasizing the psychological aspects. Basically it is the story of sibling rivalry and parental favoritism and highlights a rather dysfunctional foursome who still manage to occupy a positive place in religious history. Yankle questions how that came to be. Most of the story is identical to the biblical version but there are a few changes, some to relate to modern times.
The story, told from Yankle’s perspective, opens from him saying Esav pulled ahead of him to become the first born by a split second. That was very important because the first born child inherited everything from his father. But Yankle questions why his mother told him that (“Why would [a mother] pit one son against another?”) because of how that knowledge affected his life and made him feel “a burning desire to surpass my brother....I had to win it all–or be left with nothing.” He was her favorite, as Esav was his father’s. Poznansky does not mention the Biblical story which has God telling Rebecca before the twins were born that “the older would serve the younger.”
There are hints of Yankle’s future relationship with his own sons. Rebecca gives him the sleeve of her goatskin coat to deceive Isaac (in the original version he wears Esav’s clothes and has the animal skin on his arm) and Yankle pledges he will never show favoritism to any of his own children. (I saw Joseph and the Technicolor Dream Coat the night before I read this novella. So much for his remembering his vow.) Yankle offers Esav lentil stew, Esav asks if it’s kosher. The laws of kashrut, in fact the entire Bible, were still in the future. He decides the Yankle-in-the-Box restaurant chain was established in honor of his stew.
In the Bible, after sending Yankle away to escape his brother’s wrath, Rebecca is not mentioned again. A FAVORITE SON has him seeing her in the desert, telling him part of her story while her dress, her black veil, tells him his father had died.
Yankle considered his father to be wimp–his father sent a servant to find a wife for him, but, until he fled Esav’s fury, Yankle had never ventured away from home, either. (Isaac realized that they were very similar but that angle is not explored.) Yankle blames Isaac as well himself for his own weaknesses and notes the name his father gave him means “follower:” “How can a follower become a leader?”
As he plans to give parting advice to his sons before he dies, Isaac observed “I have come to the conclusion based on many, many years of experience, that I can expect with perfect certainty, that my advice will be utterly and immediately ignored.
While the discrepancies between A FAVORITE SON and the Bible are the writer’s prerogative, there was at least one contradiction: When Rebecca visits Isaac as he is dying, she asks “What will I do without you?” On the next page she tell him, “You have a long life ahead of you.”
Beautifully written, A FAVORITE SON tells the story behind the legend.

message 37: by Uvi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Uvi Poznansky | 515 comments Don't miss this opportunity! A select group of authors has joined forces with me. We bring you amazing historical fiction stories. Let us whisk you away to a different time and place. Come listen to our stories. You may win one of the ebooks!

Join us in A Time to Remember

message 38: by Uvi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Uvi Poznansky | 515 comments It's a rush, don't break a heel!
The price is slashed, each book--a steal!

The regular price $5.99 has been slashed
Get any one of my highly acclaimed stories
This Monday and Tuesday only
for $0.99:

Apart From Love ★

Rise to Power

A Favorite Son

Twisted

Home

message 39: by Uvi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Uvi Poznansky | 515 comments "I sit there at her feet watching her work. My mother is so skillful in manipulating that sleeve. Inside of it, my limb feels hot, suffocated. I let her control me, control my hand. It is no longer my hand.
By and by, a perfect calm comes upon me. I have no thought in my head, no clue that this is to be the last sunrise, the last morning that I spend with my mother; no premonition that our time together is running out, and that I should kiss her, and hug her, and bid her farewell."

To read more, and listen to the narration, click here:
I should kiss her, and hug her, and bid her farewell

message 40: by Uvi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Uvi Poznansky | 515 comments "I hear the slight rustle of her skirt, and her soft voice saying, “Wait, Isaac—” just before it becomes muffled. So sharply, so unexpectedly does it happen, that it makes me giddy with curiosity; and so, I do what I have to do: I lift the flap of the tent, allowing light in, to peek in on them; and what I see leaves me dumbfounded..."

To read more, and listen to the narration, click here:
She wraps her arms around his frail shoulders, and kisses him

message 41: by Uvi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Uvi Poznansky | 515 comments "My mother, you ask? She was—how shall I say it?—different. No woman among us in the camp, or out there in the grazing fields, was as captivating as her.
It was not just her beauty; nor was it the regal manner in which she carried herself, as if her tent served only as a temporary, makeshift shelter, a place to stay until the completion of a some new, modern wing in an imaginary palace. If there was something that set her apart from all other women, it was her garments..."

To read more click here:
The thought of modesty lost

message 42: by Uvi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Uvi Poznansky | 515 comments At that second it dawns on me—I understand, in its entirety, my mother’s plan; which nearly brings me to split my sides and roar with laughter—but at a single hint from her, I hold it in. No need for other people to hear us.
Intoxicated, I marvel in her plan; and in my mind I shout: My God, this is so clever! So deceitful!

To read more, and listen to the beautiful narration by David Kudler, click here:
I marvel in her plan. It is so clever! So deceitful!

message 43: by Uvi (last edited Sep 18, 2014 09:16PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Uvi Poznansky | 515 comments Paul Atreides is an author and playwright, and is currently a theater critic for the Las Vegas Review-Journal. He's written numerous articles for a variety of periodicals and been a guest columnist, and a monthly column. I am thrilled to find his review for A Favorite Son:

★★★★★ A reimagining page-turner
By Paul Atreideson September 12, 2014

As an author myself, I found this reimagining of an ancient parable so intriguing and so well thought out that once I started, I couldn't put it down. It's a page-turner of family greed, and while you think you may know how it's going to end Poznansky has more than a few surprises for you along the way.

I especially loved the changing of vernacular. It kept you grounded in a world of the past, but made you understand this tale is played out in the here and now, all over the world, in family after family, from the poorest to the top one percent.

I admit I've had the book for a long while and kept putting it off, dropping it to the bottom of the To Read pile; we authors have a tendency to get caught up in our own make-believe worlds to the detriment of all else. But, I so thoroughly enjoyed this novella I can't wait to delve into more of this author's works. She's got a lovely and artistic way with words that pulls you in from the moment you read the first sentence.

Get ★★★★★ A FAVORITE SON
♥ Ebook ♥ http://bookShow.me/B00AUZ3LGU
♥ Audio ♥ http://tinyurl.com/fav-son-audio
♥ Print ♥ http://bookShow.me/0984993258

message 44: by Uvi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Uvi Poznansky | 515 comments #99cents #sale: A Favorite Son

Read it now: A favorite Son
Enjoy the tale that I have spun
About two brothers, greed, rivalry
Who will stay? And who will flee
Forever haunted by regret?
The book is here, for you to get!

message 45: by Uvi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Uvi Poznansky | 515 comments Without even looking at the entrance to the tent, without even touching the cold surface of the hourglass, I know: It is nearly empty. The sand is running out. For us, there is no more time. He will never realize who it was standing there by his bedside, overcome and awash with tears.

To read more, and listen to the beautiful narration, click here:

The voice is the voice of Jacob

message 46: by Uvi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Uvi Poznansky | 515 comments So instead, my mother decided to acquire stuff: Ornamental purses of different shapes and sizes; an assortment of extravagant fur hats, imported from her faraway birthplace; and numerous pairs of snakeskin shoes with high heels, which were ill suited to the desert sand—all of which caused a stir among the local people.
I can recall how, as a child, I got a rare permission from her to come into the inner part of her tent, behind the screen, and take a peak into her chest. It was overflowing with nose rings, bracelets, and flamboyant clothes. With hesitant fingers I touched one of her shirts, which at the time, was way too big for me.
“Here, Yankle, try it on,” she offered.
I did. I can still remember it: The trace of her jasmine perfume, the striped blue-on-white pattern of the weave, and the swooshing sound of the fabric as it flowed over my head and cascaded around my feet. I remember her laughter, her sudden embrace; and a heartbeat later—opening to me out of the shadow, right there behind her back—the watchful eyes of my twin brother Esav, who must have been standing there for a while, without making a sound.
How my mother sensed his presence—by what quirk of intuition she knew he had been studying us—I will never be able to guess. Perhaps she saw him in my eyes. She looked at me then with an intense look, and in a flash I learned that the unsaid can be more forceful than words. What passed between us at that moment I cannot begin to describe to you. I could hear her heart beat, and at the same instant, the same hammer was pounding in my chest.
With great calm, she gathered the garment from my hand. Then she folded it back into the chest with slow, measured movements, lowered the lid and with a clack, locked it.
“Go out, Esav, go play,” she said, without even bothering to turn her head, without even looking at him; and then she added softly, “You too, Yankle.”
In two shakes of a lamb’s tail we were outside. His hair was flowing, thick and wild, in the wind as he chased me, caught me, punched me down.
All the while, I knew: I would never forget her love, her letting me wear that unusually beautiful, striped shirt. And neither would he.

Get ★★★★★ A FAVORITE SON

message 47: by Uvi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Uvi Poznansky | 515 comments Thrilled to come on for an interview on Seb Kirby's blog, to talk about the connections between my art and writing. Please check it out:

The Interview - Uvi Poznansky

message 48: by Uvi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Uvi Poznansky | 515 comments "When I sprinkle my secret blend of spices; here, take a sniff, can you smell it? When I chop these mouthwatering sun-dried tomatoes, add a few cloves of garlic for good measure, and let it all sizzle with lentils and meat—it becomes so scrumptious, so lip-smacking, finger-licking, melt-in-your-mouth good!
There is a certain ratio of flavors, a balance that creates a feast for the tongue and a delight for the mind; and having mastered that balance, with a pinch of imported cumin from the north of Persia, a dash of Saffron from the south of Egypt, I can tell you one thing: When the pot comes to a full bubbling point, and the aroma of the stew rises up in the air—it would make you dribble! Drive you to madness! For a single bite, you would sell your brother, if only you had one! "

To read more click here:
It would make you dribble! Drive you to madness!

message 49: by Uvi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Uvi Poznansky | 515 comments Wow--I am thrilled to find this review, written by Dolores Ayotte, author of A Woman's Voice (and other self-help books) who is a great inspirational writer and one of the best reviewers on Amazon. This is what she said about the audiobook edition of A Favorite Son:

Overall ★★★★★
Performance ★★★★★
Story ★★★★★
"Skilled Masterpiece!"
Would you consider the audio edition of A Favorite Son to be better than the print version?
After both reading A Favorite Son on my own and then listening to the audio book, I think there is a definite benefit to hearing the male voice bring the characters to life. I very much enjoyed this audio experience.

What was one of the most memorable moments of A Favorite Son?
One of the most memorable moments is the obvious favoritism of Rebecca for one son over another and the lengths she would go to deceive her husband, Isaac, demonstrates the duplicity of her role in all of their lives.

Which character – as performed by David Kudler – was your favorite?
I think David Kudler did a great job of portraying all the characters he played in this audio book. His voice is clear, precise, and effectively draws the listener into the story line.

Any additional comments?
Most of us are familiar with the well-known Bible story of Jacob and Esau. Twin sons born to Rebecca and Isaac in their later years, are at odds and in competition to inherit the much coveted blessing from their father on his deathbed. The collaboration that takes place between mother and her favorite son, Yankle, in order to dupe Isaac effectively demonstrates the length some parents will go to in their unfairness, or what I refer to as, the "division" of their love.

According to the main thread skillfully woven into this novel, the phenomenon of favoring one child over another may be a curse not only for the favored child but for the rejected one as well. I purposely use the word "division" of love to describe the favoritism both Rebecca and Isaac displayed for opposite sons in this story in order to stress what I consider to be a poignant point.In my opinion, neither parent expresses true love. True love does not divide families nor does it create ugly competitiveness, sibling rivalry, jealously, hatred, anger and all the other undesirable, negative traits expressed between these two sons. Neither parent shows love for their offspring nor toward each other. It has been said that true love multiplies...it never divides.When one discovers this definition of love and fully embraces this concept, the negative emotions experienced by this family and many others, will no longer exist. To me, that is the true moral to this Bible story.Ms. Poznansky takes an age old story and gives it a modern twist.

The reader is invited into the tortured psyche of Yankle and the grief, guilt, and full knowledge of the consequence of his deception in order to demonstrate what a living hell is all about. Yankle is haunted by his choice, that of manipulating his father's deteriorating physical condition along with his mother, in order to steal his brother, Esav's birthright. He does not want to repeat history in his own life and continue with this kind of favoritism in his relationship with his own sons.This author shows not only by the cover she has so beautifully painted, but also by the words she has so carefully chosen to depict the results of such a past and present dilemma...the consequences of such a devious act.

To quote Ms. Poznansky when describing her book cover, she states, "To me, this is what this image means: looking directly at yourself, facing the pain and the ugly imperfections within, without any attempt to mask who you are--even if you find yourself on the verge of a meltdown." I think each of us will eventually reach this point in life, and regardless of what path we take to get there, we must face ourselves, our actions, our lives and learn what true love is all about...I think this is the genuine motive and goal behind the work of this talented artist and author. Her writing is meant to provoke, prod, persuade, and push us to the limits of our inner selves in order to tie it all together. In my opinion, she is not only showing us a part of herself, her every desire is for us to see our own reflection in her work and see what personal message it holds. She has certainly succeeded with me...

Inspirational Author & Book Reviewer ~ Dolores Ayotte

Get ★★★★★ A FAVORITE SON

message 50: by Uvi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Uvi Poznansky | 515 comments “Talking about a small fortune,” she counters, “what about your little trunk, full of gold coins?”
“Being of a sound body and mind,” he says, “I spent it all.”
“On what, in heaven’s name?”
“What! On what, Becky? Here I go, heaping all those bracelets, all those nose rings on one woman, and one woman alone, only to find out, in the end, the real extent of her gratitude!”

To read more, and listen to the beautiful narration by David Kudler, click here:
What about your little trunk, full of gold coins?

« previous 1