Where's George? Readers discussion

Monthly Updates > What are you Reading September 2013

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ronald (new)

Ronald | 159 comments Mod
Greetings and welcome to a new month.

I have started reading Mars and the Mind of Man by Ray Bradbury and so far it is fascinating. Imagine a time when if you could not make a panel you had to read a transcript. There was no video.

message 2: by Melanie (new)

Melanie | 372 comments Mod
Just finished The Alchemist, and it is a quick and enjoyable read. However, I felt the idea was being shoved down my throat. I'm surprised people loved it as much as I hear. Maybe we need to follow our hearts more.

message 3: by Melanie (new)

I'm now reading In Cold Blood. My honorary grandfather knew the Clutters. It is a book that is hard to read and I believe because it is disturbing in nature and true.

message 4: by Bill (new)

Bill | 192 comments Melanie wrote: "I'm now reading In Cold Blood. My honorary grandfather knew the Clutters. It is a book that is hard to read and I believe because it is disturbing in nature and true."

I've been a fan of Capote's life and work for a long time. I read "In Cold Blood" back in college, and have also read "Breakfast at Tiffany's". Some day I'll get to "Other Voices, Other Rooms" I guess you know that Harper Lee who wrote "To Kill A Mockingbird" helped Capote out writing Cold Blood. It's even been speculated that she actually wrote it. I may have to give it a reread too.

message 5: by Bill (new)

Bill | 192 comments The Dog Stars by Peter Heller was up for discussion as this month's read for my city library group, but it lost out. It was already on my To Read list, so I'm giving it a go. Been awhile since I read some post-apocalyptic fiction.

message 6: by Ronald (new)

I am going to start High Five soon Monday at the latest. I am trying to catch up on my backlog of comic books. ;-)

message 7: by Melanie (new)

Bill wrote: I've been a fan of Capote's life and work for a long time. I read "In Cold Blood" back in college, and have also read "Breakfast at Tiffany's". Some day I'll get to "Other Voices, Other Rooms" I guess you know that Harper Lee who wrote "To Kill A Mockingbird" helped Capote out writing Cold Blood. It's even been speculated that she actually wrote it. I may have to give it a reread too. "

I haven't read his other work to compare if his writing style is similar to his other books, but I have heard that about Harper Lee as well.

message 8: by Mike (new)

Mike (mikekeating) I finished Wild Cards (Wild Cards, #1) by George R.R. Martin just now, and I'm going to be starting 1635 Papal Stakes by Eric Flint soon.

message 9: by Bill (last edited Sep 15, 2013 09:55AM) (new)

Bill | 192 comments Moving on from a post-apocalyptic world in The Dog Stars to Northern Ireland in the recent past and one boy's struggles growing up during the turbulence. Next up: A Son Called Gabriel by Damian McNicholl

message 10: by Melanie (new)

I have been trying to clear out somebooks on my phone that I downloaded from Kindle and read 48 Hours - A City of London Thriller by J. Jackson Bentley. It was still free on Kindle last week, and you can download Kindle to your phone, computer, etc... Josh is told to pay 250,000 pounds (it's British) in 48 hours or he will be dead. It was a fun quick read.

message 11: by Melanie (new)

I saw Si Robinson's new book at the library - he is the crazy uncle in Duck Dynasty. Si-cology 1: Tales and Wisdom from Duck Dynasty’s Favorite Uncle is a very quick read with some great stories to embrace your inner red-neck. I had no idea that he was career military, even though he had served in Vietnam. You should have a smile on your face a few chuckles with this quick read.

message 12: by Melanie (new)

I also picked up The End of Your Life Book Club by Will Schwalbe. It is a real life story about a family's love of books. His mother discovers she had pancreatic cancer, and while she is going through chemo they begin their own little book club. It is a good story, and tribute to his mother.

message 13: by Jocelyn (last edited Sep 18, 2013 07:03AM) (new)

Jocelyn | 30 comments I've finished The Sun Also Rises by Ernest Hemingway and I've started Don Quixote by Miguel De Cervantes. Such a busy month with all the school stuff starting again, I am behind in my reading!

message 14: by Melanie (new)

Just finished tThe Phantom of the Opera and enjoyed it but like the movie better. I love the music and in this rather than have any of the beautiful songs Andrew Lloyd Webber wrote I had Beauty and the Beast's "The Mob Song" running through my head while reading. "I say we kill the beast!" In the movie I have sympathy for the Phantom which I find out is named Erik, but in the book I didnt' have any sympathy for him. Maybe I don't love the romantic Gothic guys because I couldn't stand Heathcliff from Wuthering Heights.

message 15: by Jocelyn (new)

Jocelyn | 30 comments Heathcliff was an ass! Ugh how could anyone think he was romantic. Crazy stalker more like it.

message 16: by Melanie (new)

Thank you, Jocelyn! Heathcliff and Christian Gray rank up there with Norman Bates and Patrick Bateman. Men to avoid! I'll take Fitzwilliam Darcy and Rhett Butler any day!!!

message 17: by Ronald (new)

Going to start reading Hot Six (Stephanie Plum, #6) by Janet Evanovich now that I am done with book five. I need to get a few more of these done before the next Terry Pratchett book comes out this year. ;-)

message 18: by Ron (new)

Ron | 7 comments Book 3 of the Earthsea series, by Ursula K. LeGuin
Einstein by Biography by Walter IsaacsonIn
InThe Night Garden - The Orphan's Tale, #1 by Catherynne M. Valente

message 19: by Bill (new)

Bill | 192 comments I'm still waiting for the books I have on hold to arrive at my library, so while browsing the shelves of new arrivals for something to read I picked up A Marker to Measure Drift by Alexander Maksik

message 20: by Melanie (new)

I just finished Spartina and thought it would be more about the love of the sea, but it was more about class rage/envy and a grumpy guy.