2022 Reading Challenge discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
ARCHIVE 2013 > TBR Twins, October - Sign Up

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kara (last edited Sep 02, 2013 01:48PM) (new)

Kara (karaayako) | 3978 comments Sign up for TBR Twins here! After being paired, you and your twin will choose a book to read together in October. This is all in an effort to decrease that TBR (to-be-read) list.

When you sign up, please answer the following questions:
1. Is character development or the quality of the writing more important to you?
2. Does it take you, on average, shorter or longer than a week to read a book?
3. What is your favorite genre? (Tip: If you answer "any," I'll have a harder time with your pairing. Please try to narrow this down at least a little.)
4. Have you participated before?

You will (to the best of my ability) be paired with someone who answers the first three questions in a compatible way.

This thread will close on September 17th, and you will be notified of your TBR twin no later than the 24th.

Note: please make sure you can receive messages in order to participate. It also helps (but is not required) for your profile to not be set to private.

Happy reading!

message 2: by Karin (new)

Karin (karindem55) 1. Quality of the writing
2. Shorter if less than 500 pages
3. Literary fiction, historical fiction, mysteries, best sellers/popular fiction
4. Yes

╟ ♫ Tima ♪ ╣ ♥ (tsunanisaurus) | 125 comments 1. Quality of the writing
2. Shorter than a week, generally.
3. Memoirs, Medical/Sociological nonfiction, realistic fiction, satirical, suspense/thriller,
4. Nope. :)

message 4: by Theresa~OctoberLace (last edited Sep 02, 2013 05:04PM) (new)

Theresa~OctoberLace (octoberlace) | 773 comments 1. Quality of the writing is slightly more important, but character development is also a major factor for me.

2. I generally take less than a week to read a book unless it's over 1000 pages or the week is hectic.

3. I love so many, but for a change of pace I'll choose horror, mystery, dystopia, or fantasy for October.

4. The September 2013 TBR Twins is my first.

message 5: by ZaraS (last edited Sep 16, 2013 07:56PM) (new)

ZaraS  *book reviewer | 2365 comments 1. Both are equally important to me. The only rider I put on this is that in developing the characters I don't like lots of unnecessary description. Unnecessary description, which is verbose, really turns me of a book.

2. It depends on the book and how interesting it is and how busy my life is. For example, 500+ page books can actually take me up to a month to read if it's not interesting. If it is interesting it may take me a week.

3. Favourite genre: Christian

4. I've participated in this challenge many, many times before.

message 6: by Sarah (last edited Sep 04, 2013 02:02AM) (new)

Sarah 1. Is character development or the quality of the writing more important to you? Both but if I have to choose I'd go for Character development. Many books are well written but if they don't have good characters then I won't enjoy it.

2. Does it take you, on average, shorter or longer than a week to read a book? shorter

3. What is your favourite genre? Fantasy, Magical Realism, Historical Fiction

4. Have you participated before? Yes

message 7: by Jen (new)

Jen (jen-usernametaken) | 13 comments 1. Character development, then plot, THEN quality of the writing.

2. Less than a week.

3. Speculative fiction

4. I have not participated before.

message 8: by Londa (new)

Londa (londalocs) | 117 comments 1. CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT. While I love beautiful writing, a book falls flat fast if the characters are one dimensional. I like to feel like I KNOW them after I read the novel.

2. Shorter, if that is the only book I am reading. I usually read 4-5 books a month.

3. Literary Fiction, Historical Fiction, Magical Realism, Psychological thrillers

4. YES

message 9: by Karina (new)

Karina (karinargh) | 807 comments In!

1. Quality (but really, both)
2. Shorter (at least up to a certain pagecount)
3. Science fiction, non-fiction, fantasy
4. Yes

message 10: by Sara (new)

Sara | 9 comments 1. Quality, I think. :)
2. Depends on how good it is. A week if it's good. Longer if I'm bored with it.
3. Magical Realism is my favorite, Fantasy, Historical Fiction. And I will not read whatever genre Jodi Picoult, Nicholas Sparks and Kristin Hannah belong to.
4. Nope!

message 11: by Jack (new)

Jack Hansen | 350 comments Kara wrote: "Sign up for TBR Twins here! After being paired, you and your twin will choose a book to read together in October. This is all in an effort to decrease that TBR (to-be-read) list.

When you sign up,..."

Is that TBR list our personal TBR list or is there a Challenge 2013 TBR list; if so, where?

message 12: by Kara (new)

Kara (karaayako) | 3978 comments It's your personal TBR list.

message 13: by Jack (new)

Jack Hansen | 350 comments Kara wrote: "It's your personal TBR list."

Kara wrote: "It's your personal TBR list."
Thank you, Kara.

1. Is character development or the quality of the writing more important to you?Both are important for any novel but character development is not as important in a non-fiction when the theme is the truth of an event or philosophy.

2.Does it take you, on average, shorter or longer than a week to read a book?Depends on time constraints, when and where I read. My history is longer but if I pick the book up every day when I am not exhausted, less than a week. Audiobooks, in a day or two.

3. What is your favorite genre? History, Philosophy, Science Fiction, Autobiography, Socio-Political, Fiction based on real events.

4.Have you participated before?No, this is my first venture into TBR Twins.

message 14: by Jordan (new)

Jordan (thewritejordan) | 21 comments 1. Is character development or the quality of the writing more important to you?
Quality of the writing

Depends on the book, if it's 300 pages it take about a week, if it's 400, 500 pages it takes about a month and a half.

3. What is your favorite genre? Contemporary romance.

4. Have you participated before? Once before but we did not finish because school hit us hard! :)

message 15: by Nathaly (new)

Nathaly | 356 comments 1. quality of the writing is more important
2. longer than a week
3. Fantasy, Sci-fi, mystery, thriller
4. Yes

message 16: by Shannon (last edited Sep 08, 2013 04:18PM) (new)

Shannon Broad (shannonbroad) | 16 comments 1. The quality of the writing is more important

2. Most of the time it takes me longer than a week to read a book but it depends on how good the book is and if I'm enjoining it

3. Distopia/fantasy/ya/contempory

4.no

message 17: by Jodi (last edited Sep 03, 2013 06:14PM) (new)

Jodi (readinbooks) | 1922 comments 1. Is character development or the quality of the writing more important to you?

That is such a hard question. I would say character development is more important......I think...

If it is more than 500 pages then longer than a week.

3. What is your favorite genre? (Tip: If you answer "any," I'll have a harder time with your pairing. Please try to narrow this down at least a little.)

Lately I have enjoyed some fantasy and sic-fi but I do like historical fiction.

4. Have you participated before?

A few times

message 18: by [deleted user] (last edited Sep 04, 2013 05:58AM) (new)

1. Quality of writing (not sure you can have good characters if they are badly written!)
2. Just about less than a week (if under 500 pages)
3. Classics, literary fiction
4. Yes

message 19: by Sherry (new)

Sherry (lilsherry) | 699 comments 1. quality of the writing
2. on average, shorter than a week to read a book; only way that may be longer than a week is when busy with work BUT I always find some time to read during the day (on way to work, lunch break, etc...)
3. Fiction- can be fantasy, romance, etc...
4. Have you participated before?- unfortunately not since always busy so this is my first attempt. I tried other challenges but never finish in time with the monthly or mini challenges.

message 20: by Sara (new)

Sara (shesautomatic) | 112 comments 1. Quality of writing
2. Shorter
3. Lit Fiction, Classics
4. Yes

Thanks for doing the matching Kara!

message 21: by Lianne (new)

Lianne (liannevanroekel) | 245 comments 1. Difficult question. I think quality of writing is slightly more important to me.

2. Mostly shorter than a week. It takes me longer than a week to finish very big books (like Game of Thrones).

3. Classics, fantasy, thriller, science fiction, literary fiction. I like most genres. The only genre I don't read much is romance.

4. Yes!

message 22: by mussolet (last edited Sep 04, 2013 09:20AM) (new)

mussolet (sovotchka) | 615 comments I'm in again :).

1. Quality. I can do without any plot if the writing is good :).
2. Shorter.
3. World Fiction and Fantasy. (Sorry, can't decide between those two.)
4. Yes.

Thanks for all the work, Kara :).

message 23: by Kali (new)

Kali Srikanth | 8 comments 1. It's not that quality doesn't matter but I prefer character development over quality.
2. If it's less than 600 pages yes it's shorter than a week.
3. Philosophy, History, Literary fiction, Existentialism, Dystopian, Mythology, Biographies & Memoirs.
4. No this will be the first time.

message 24: by Kara (new)

Kara (karaayako) | 3978 comments It's so great to see so many first timers! It's going to be a lot of fun doing the pairings for this one.

message 25: by Anna (new)

Anna 1. Quality of Writing (though one might argue that character development is a mark of quality).
2. I average a week...put me down for shorter though.
3. Contemporary Lit, Thriller/Supernatural, Fantasy. I'm pretty open minded though.
4. Yes.

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

1-For me the quality of the book is important.
2-To say the truth, longer than a week,even if the book is short.
3-Mystery, adventure, and classic.
4-This is my first time.

message 27: by Brian (last edited Sep 07, 2013 05:06PM) (new)

Brian (brianfinn) | 638 comments 1. Character Development is more important by a slight margin if I'm reading Fiction. Quality of Writing is more important if I'm reading Nonfiction.

2. Less than a week if less than 500-600 pages (assuming the book isn't terrible)

3. Contemporary, Young Adult, Sci Fi/Fantasy, Historical Fiction, and once in a while the Classics.

4. I am currently participating for the first time :] so, yes in advance.

message 28: by Angie (new)

Angie  | 2 comments 1. Quality is more important.
2. More than a week.
3. Historical fiction, chick lit, romance, mystery, suspense, memoirs
4. First time participating

message 29: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Unfortunately I am going to have to pull out for October as I'm not going to have as much time to read as I thought.

message 30: by Kara (new)

Kara (karaayako) | 3978 comments One more day to sign up!

Theresa~OctoberLace (octoberlace) | 773 comments Is today October TBR Twin Day?

message 32: by Kara (new)

Kara (karaayako) | 3978 comments Yup! Thanks for keeping me honest, Theresa! Here's the link to the twins: http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/1...

This thread is now closed.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.