Children's Books discussion

Themes, Topics & Categories > Bereavement Book Suggestions Needed

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Debra (new)

Debra | 0 comments Can i get suggestions for bereavement books for young children (5 years and younger)? thank you.

message 2: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 1077 comments Who are they losing/who did they lose?

5 is hard because it's not until about age 8 that children truly understand the permanence of death.

message 3: by Debra (last edited Sep 02, 2013 05:36PM) (new)

Debra | 0 comments They lost a very dear grandmother "mimi" after a very long battle with cancer.

message 4: by Judy (new)

Judy Olson | 7 comments There is one called The Fall of Freddie the Leaf by Leo Buscaglia...might be appropriate. Check your library.

message 5: by SamZ (new)

SamZ (samwisezbrown) | 220 comments Nana Upstairs Nana Downstairs is very sweet by Tomie dePaola

message 6: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 1077 comments I'm not sure for children 5 and younger. Here's one list but I can't vouch for the books on it or the age ranges:

http://asucpr.wikispaces.com/file/vie...

I like books that help adults make up their own stories to tell kids such as Annie Stories and More Annie Stories: Therapeutic Storytelling Techniques by Doris Brett.

I remember liking this book: Bibliotherapy for Bereaved Children: Healing Readings but I'll have to find it and look through it to see if there are any suggestions that seem like a good fit.

message 7: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 16 comments This book is very touching and has to do with the death of a beloved grandfather Thank You, Grandpa. It isn't a perfect fit as it deals with a child who had a long relationship with the grandparent, but it is a beautiful story and with you sharing what you know of that grandparent the children will see that the good things about a person can live on in others.