European Royalty discussion

European Royalty Group Reads > Hollow Crown: Overall (Potential Spoilers!)

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sara W (new)

Sara W (sarawesq) | 2153 comments Feel free to discuss anything about the book in this thread. If you (and others) are here, you (and they) have finished the book, so don't worry about posting spoilers. If you haven't finished the book, you may not want to read anything here yet!

message 2: by MBP (new)

MBP I really enjoyed this one. I didn't know much about the history of the period, so I found that very interesting. I also liked how Emma's character was developed, from insecure young girl, to mature, powerful queen, to sorrowful older woman.

I did think that there were points where Emma's story disappeared while other threads were followed, and in these places it dragged a bit for me. One point where this happened was in book 1; I remember thinking for about a hundred pages or so that there was very little about Emma.

Also, the ending seemed unsatisfying, but I gather from the author's note that she needed to end it the way she did so that it would fit with the already-written sequel.

message 3: by Robin (new)

Robin | 298 comments I enjoyed this book. I had not spent much time reading about this time in England's history so I found it very interesting. Most of the characters, in my opinion, were well developed and had different sides to them which made them more interesting. I found myself sometimes really liking Emma and other times I felt very sorry for her and then there were sometimes when I was quite annoyed at her. Same for Cnut. I did not, however, ever like Ethelred or Cnut's first "wife." I found the former so inept and so unwilling to do what needed to be done to keep his kingdom safe annoying and frustrating and I found the former such a b***h that I really wanted to see her fall down a well or something.