1 view
Had He Been a Stranger

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sue (new) - added it

Sue New August 1, 2013
By
easyreader - See all my reviews
This review is from: Had He Been a Stranger (Paperback)
I loved this book! You rarely see a mystery and a love story in the same book, but the author wraps this wonderful story of love and pain, ambition and hope, joy and despair, life and death, faith and rejection with a thread of delicious mystery that will keep you turning pages searching for the answers. What would make a man set on serving God turn away from Him? Why would a man inflict such profound pain on the family he so dearly loves? The story follows Powell O'Kelly and his family through the twists and turns of life, from poverty in the auld sod of Ireland to a prosperous new life in turn-of-the-century Texas. But that's not the whole story... there is much more hidden between the covers of this book. A great read!

message 2: by Sue (new) - added it

Sue New Had He Been a Stranger
5.0 out of 5 stars Levans, August 26, 2013
By
Larry Evans - See all my reviews
Amazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)
This review is from: Had He Been a Stranger (Kindle Edition)
I like Sue New, I like her values and faith based spirit that you pick up in this book. She has a very nice way of being a story teller. I found myself back in the beginning of the 20th Century and enjoying the walk through that culture and historical references. I enjoyed figuring out most of the big revelations of the book. When I looked at some of the reviews, it was said it was a story of love, pain, ambition, hope, joy, despair, life, death, faith and rejection. That was so true.

message 3: by Sue (new) - added it

Sue New 5.0 out of 5 stars "Had He Been A Stranger", July 23, 2013
By
Paula E. Castleberry - See all my reviews
(REAL NAME)
I recently read this book and loved the suspense and mystery. I found the background of this family and how they finally settled in Texas very interesting. It is a great read for lovers of mystery and suspense and romance.

message 4: by Sue (new) - added it

Sue New Riveting, intriguing, captivating..., July 11, 2013
By
Chick123 - See all my reviews
I love this book and would recommend it to anyone. It shows, Peggy, a young girl growing up and falling in love with a well liked young man. The mystery that seems to be in the back ground finally seems to circle around Powell and his daughter, Peggy.

Powell has run from the true love of his life since he was a young man, as well as denying the faith he so gladly accepted as a child; both actions causing him profound mental anguish. The love story and the mystery keeps you wanting to turn the page to learn why Powell turned against Peggy, because from the beginning the reader sees how much he loves her.

message 5: by Sue (new) - added it

Sue New I am the Sue New who has the audacity to think publishing a book at 82 is possible. My granddaughter
just sent her thoughts on this book:
Grandmom, your book IS MORE THAN I EXPECTED! It is FANTASTIC! I AM TOTALLY ENTHRAULED! It captured me from the beginning but with every page I become more intrigued. Of coarse the story is itself wonderfully imaginative and engaging but the writing...well I am not an english major but i think you are a genius! So descriptive and your use of words causes the reader to be filled with the very emotion of the characters! You must write more!

Of course your granddaughter's opinion doesn't sell books but then, maybe it is a start.