The Sword and Laser discussion

TV, Movies and Games > LTTP: Kingdoms Of Amalur

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ty (new)

Ty Wilson (ShatterStar66) | 165 comments I pre-ordered a copy when I saw who was involved in the design of the game. I quite enjoyed it. A beautiful game with really fun combat. It's too bad the game failed and the company had such problems. I would gladly play a sequel.

message 2: by LegalKimchi (new)

LegalKimchi | 112 comments should I get it on pc or xbox?

message 3: by Joseph (new)

Joseph | 2256 comments I've been playing it on PC with mouse & keyboard. For, um, about 115 hours. And that's before sailing over to the eastern continent for the endgame. I've been doing like everything, including both of the expansion packs.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I love that game.My first character was completely finesse,my new character is all might.
I can spend hours playing KoA,I do wish there was a sequel.

message 5: by Joseph (new)

Joseph | 2256 comments I've never quite been able to get into the Elder Scrolls games -- I think they're maybe a little too wide-open for my tastes, plus I'm really not a fan of first-person melee combat. Amalur has a slightly more structured story, which is making it a bit easier for me to get into.

I just really, really wish it didn't have the inventory limits ... Or at least it handled them better or something.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Joseph wrote: "I've never quite been able to get into the Elder Scrolls games -- I think they're maybe a little too wide-open for my tastes, plus I'm really not a fan of first-person melee combat. Amalur has a s..."

In the Elder Scrolls I didn't like the combat system.
I really like the third-person angle.

message 7: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan | 185 comments It's pretty good, but probably the one thing that was bad about it was the fact that it was essentially a single player AAA RPG-length tech demo for a planned MMO. So the identity of the game was a bit confused. It's still pretty good though.

message 8: by Joseph (new)

Joseph | 2256 comments I do wish they would've done a better job on the wealth curve and the difficulty curve -- money was really tight at first, but somewhere around the point that I got my house in Canneroc, the money just started pouring in, to the point that right now I'm somewhere north of $8,000,000. I still obsessively open every chest and loot every corpse, but a lot of times I'll just junk the stuff I find because I can't be bothered to haul it back to a store and sell it. Also, I'm having trouble remembering the last time I was genuinely challenged by a fight. (Admittedly, I'm playing on Normal.)

Still, I continue to have fun with it and don't plan on stopping until I see the end credits.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

And when you do,create a new character,and possibly play on a harder lvl.

message 10: by Joseph (new)

Joseph | 2256 comments Charlton wrote: "And when you do,create a new character,and possibly play on a harder lvl."

Well, when I finish this I'll probably be ready for something nice and short where I just shoot mans in the head for 8-10 hours. And then I have Witcher II waiting for me and maybe KotOR II or something Japanese. Decisions, decisions.

I know I could turn the difficulty up to Hard, but I'm kind of at that point where the end is, if not in sight, at least on the horizon, and I've settled into a reasonably comfortable rhythm, so I think I'll just push on for now.

message 11: by Artemas (new)

Artemas | 8 comments Zayne wrote: "Woah! A thread on Kingdoms of Amalur? Awesome! Man I loved this game. Like some of you said, the combat is just amazing. MUCH better than Elder Scrolls' combat by far. I can't believe it won't get ..."

Aww come on, don't hate on the Elder Scolls. They are an RPG franchise where combat is secondary. :)

message 12: by Sky (new)

Sky Corbelli | 352 comments Yeah, this was a great game, I was definitely sad to see 38 Studios fail so dramatically after it launched.

My only real complaint is that, as others have said, by the end it's almost disgustingly easy. I'm not even sure you could make it harder by gimping yourself, your character seems to be an unkillable master of destruction no matter what you do...

message 13: by Daniel (new)

Daniel Eavenson (dannyeaves) | 127 comments Zayne wrote: "I can't believe it won't get a sequel :( and R.A. Salvatore, the guy who created the world, was planning on releasing novels of it which he now can't do. Stupid bankruptcy. "

This needs to be kickstarted or something. RA Salvatore needs to own the book rights to it or something.

message 14: by Aeryn98 (new)

Aeryn98 | 175 comments Ah Amalur. I started playing this game as the demo to get goodies for Mass Effect and ended up playing it first. I miss my little far gorta.

I'd play it again but I can't seem to stop playing dragon age and persona.

message 15: by Daniel (new)

Daniel Eavenson (dannyeaves) | 127 comments Zayne wrote: "...and Bethesda took it's sweet little time trying to get rid of the insane bugs in Skyrim -_-"

They never did right? You can still bork your PS3 version if you let the save file size get to big.

message 16: by Artemas (new)

Artemas | 8 comments Skyrim's combat definitely isn't it's shining factor, and the bugs were pretty annoying. Bethesda sure does make some awesome sandbox RPG games though.

message 17: by Daniel (new)

Daniel Eavenson (dannyeaves) | 127 comments Zayne wrote: "And Artemas, I gotta agree. Bethesda's got some great games. I just lost some respect for them after what they did to the PS3 players. And I know I know. I've heard that its difficult to program ga..."
Agree. 100% agree. Add to that how I own Skyrim on PC now and I'm like a hundred hours in and I own all the DLC and I'm the worst.

message 18: by Artemas (new)

Artemas | 8 comments Daniel wrote: "Zayne wrote: "And Artemas, I gotta agree. Bethesda's got some great games. I just lost some respect for them after what they did to the PS3 players. And I know I know. I've heard that its difficult..."

The best DLC for Skyrim on PC doesn't come from Bethesda ;)

message 19: by Artemas (new)

Artemas | 8 comments skyrim nexus. awesome user made mods

message 20: by Joseph (new)

Joseph | 2256 comments Zayne wrote: "That's cool. Too bad I don't have it for PC. Sometimes I wish I'd buy my games for PC, but I hate playing with a keyboard and mouse."

You can always plug in a wired 360 controller ... I have one that I use for platformers and such.

message 21: by Artemas (new)

Artemas | 8 comments I use my 360 controller and play Skyrim on PC using my 55 inch LED TV as a monitor, the surround sound is amazing when you have the game music turned off. Its EPIC

message 22: by Artemas (new)

Artemas | 8 comments It depends. You can always adjust the difficulty slider to make things harder, but that tends to get crazy hard, like to the point where you have to empty an entire quiver of arrows into a few bandits just to kill them. I like to make things more challenging by simply adding more roleplaying elements into my characters. Examples include an assassin who only performs stealth kills and only carries daggers, a pure thief who doesn't kill anything-so I need to be creative to get through areas, also on the thief I never save before pickpocketing...so I deal with the consequences if I get caught. Adding roleplaying elements really brings the game to life.

message 23: by Artemas (new)

Artemas | 8 comments Lol, it's definitely a challenge but makes the game tons of fun. have you tried a "Dead is Dead" character yet??

message 24: by Joseph (new)

Joseph | 2256 comments Me, I just regard the combat as a minor annoyance to be overcome while I explore new areas of the world or find new bits of lore.

My favorite thing right now is to crouch, sneak up on a group of enemies and fire off a lightning blast. One of them will go ragdolling off into the distance (because lightning from concealment pretty much one-shots anything I encounter) and the rest of them will just keep standing there obliviously while I crouch again and wait for the cooldown.

If it looks like it might turn out to be an actual relatively challenging battle, I'll just burn my Fate points.

message 25: by Joseph (new)

Joseph | 2256 comments A few points into Sneak, and pick Lightning from the Mage skills. (I'm about 70/30 mage/rogue; the only warrior skills I picked up were the ones that boosted hit points and the like.)

message 26: by Ross (new)

Ross Hey gang, just found this group! I haven't beaten it yet but I've got about 60 hours in this game and I am impressed. It's a lot bigger than I initially expected. Some of the quests are better than others but the gameplay is where it really shines. I have an archer/assasin build and I love it. It reminds me a bit of the original Fable.

message 27: by Joseph (new)

Joseph | 2256 comments Yeah, I think if you just run straight through the main story I think it's not all that long. In order to get 130 hours or whatever I'm at, I needed to become King of the House of Ballads, Archsage of the Scholia Arcana, Champion of the House of Valor, Something Something of the Warsworn, Something Something of the Travelers, and right now I'm working through the House of Sorrows quests. Plus I did both of the expansions -- Dead Kel and Teeth of Naros. And I'll go rescue every kitten up a tree someone asks me to.

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

I was wondering about the expansions,they are still available through X-Box?

message 29: by Joseph (new)

Joseph | 2256 comments Charlton wrote: "I was wondering about the expansions,they are still available through X-Box?"

I'd assume so -- my gf was playing on PS3 and she just bought the expansions a couple of weeks ago. (Myself, I got the whole kit & caboodle in a Steam sale.)

Asked to describe them I'd say: More Amalur. One gives you a new house and the other has a merchant selling a backpack. They both have some fun new lands to explore, things to fight, quests to run, stuff to do. My only complaint (and it's relatively minor) is that you can't ever fast travel to/from Dead Kel's island -- you always have to go to Rathir and talk to the captain who sails you there & back.

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

Good to know,thanks for the info.

message 31: by Joseph (new)

Joseph | 2256 comments And I'm done. 139 hours and 22 minutes, which makes me wish I'd spent 38 minutes running around doing stuff. I did pretty much everything I could, I think. Had a good time but probably won't be doing post-game at this point. I think it's time to go play something short and shoot-at-mans filled for a bit of a breather ...

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

Joseph wrote: "And I'm done. 139 hours and 22 minutes, which makes me wish I'd spent 38 minutes running around doing stuff. I did pretty much everything I could, I think. Had a good time but probably won't be ..."

Congrats and have fun.