A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire, #1) A Game of Thrones discussion

What do you think will happen to the tv show if Martin decides to write books 8 and 9?

Comments Showing 1-39 of 39 (39 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michael (new) - added it

Michael And what if he takes a really long time,and they decode to finish the tv regardless and then he writes 2 more books over the projected 7.The tv show would be unfinished

Citra Well, with all due respect, will Martin have enough time?

I don't have answer for your question though.

Richard i can't see him writing beyond book 7 - but then i can't really see him finishing book 7

Olivia Shouldn't we wait for the man to finally finish with the one he's currently working on?

However, as long as there is $$$ to be made out of the TV show, any further books he writes will surely be made into episodes.

message 5: by Michael (new) - added it

Michael Not if the actors are to old to play the characters

message 6: by Olivia (last edited Sep 02, 2013 08:52PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Olivia Michael wrote: "Not if the actors are to old to play the characters"

Don't be too sure Michael - television studios are notorious for replacing actors for any old reason & I'm sure even though the purists will object, there will be plenty who still tune in regardless of who is playing the characters.

message 7: by Michael (new) - added it

Michael That is a possibility

Allwin Jeba He should finish the series with 7 books.. Then he can sit and write 100 books as prequels i don't care!! I hope he finishes the remaining two books before he dies :| I know I sound rude but it would be really frustrating if he doesn't finish the series..

Allwin Jeba If he dies without finishing he will be in one of those 7 hells.. That's for sure!

Citra Olivia wrote: "Shouldn't we wait for the man to finally finish with the one he's currently working on?

However, as long as there is $$$ to be made out of the TV show, any further books he writes will surely be m..."

I agree with you wholeheartedly.

I just hope that somehow they raise Martin's payment so he can write those darn 2 last book faster.

Jennifer Michael wrote: "Not if the actors are to old to play the characters"

...but didn't they already replace Gregor Clegane and Berric Dondarrion after season 1?

Willow I watched this happen with an anime series once. The show started when the author was about halfway through with the manga, so the show's writers just plowed on ahead and created several seasons of television from the starting seed (after consulting extensively with the author). A few years later, the manga finally concluded -- and had an entirely different storyline to the anime. But what is really neat is that they made a second anime series to cover the manga storyline :D.

This worked incredibly well. Both stories were pretty darn good, and now there are two television interpretations for fans to choose from -- one official, and one alternate-reality. I enjoyed watching both series, and am glad that the first show didn't waste a bunch of time with endless filler episodes.

Fullmetal Alchemist -- original anime series

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood (based off the author's finished work)

Deborah Jennifer wrote: "Michael wrote: "Not if the actors are to old to play the characters"

...but didn't they already replace Gregor Clegane and Berric Dondarrion after season 1?"

Gregor Clegane and Berric Dondarrion were on season one?
This show/books have so many characters I don't even know who's who anymore.

message 14: by Vickie (last edited Sep 03, 2013 03:40PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Vickie I agree with previous posters. I just want him to finish the series! I know I shall have to reread them all before the next one comes out in order to refresh my memory.

If he wants to write more, then make them separate from the originals, like Allwin stated.

Amber In my personal opinion, I won't be surprised if the show concludes after they finish Storm of Swords and HBO moves on to producing Dunk and Egg or some other prequal that's not even written just GRRM approved.

A good deal of FFC and DWD is deemed boring to read, let alone make for good TV. Plus, tons of inner dialogue that just won't translate well. And, lets face it, only about 30% of every episode in the last season was enjoyable. 70% of the time people were just sitting there thinking WTF is going on (if you haven't read them) or WTF are they doing (if you have read them)

Kristin I like watching the show, but I love the books.

If Martin writes 10 more, I will read every one. (Yes, I know him getting through the expected 7 will be a miracle)

I will watch the show as long as it is on. If they have to take a few turns that don't follow the books, I will complain on Goodreads and probably annoy my friends and family with "That's not what happened in the book!" But I will still watch!

message 17: by Neil (new) - rated it 4 stars

Neil Astin I don't know. The story pretty much bored me by book four. Tried book five for months, and having difficulty finishing it.

Allwin Jeba *SPOILER*
*SKIP BELOW CONTENT IF YOU HAVEN'T WATCHED or READ Further books*

Neil wrote: "I don't know. The story pretty much bored me by book four. Tried book five for months, and having difficulty finishing it."
I agree mainly because most of the characters are either dead or are no longer contribute much to the story. I am too, stuck in Book 5. Will finish it off after I am done with "The Kite Runner" which I am reading now.

Amber Yah, It took me an entire month to read DWD which is about the same amount of time it took to read the other 4 novels combined. LOL.

I think it really shows that Martin never meant to publish it as it's own entity. I actually wish his publishers would have just let him publish one giant ass tome instead of two seperate novels. But at the same time, I get it, the gap between novels is already so long and the marketing was up and Martin already had enough written to publish a large novel, so it wasn't a bad move economically, but I feel it did mess with the flow of the story which is unfortunate.

That being said, @ALLWIN if you ever want to write a spoiler and are concerned about it, you can just tag it and Goodreads will hide it for you so you don't have to spend the time to type out a warning.

You do it by writing

< spoiler > whatever the spoiler will be goes here < / spoiler >

but remove the space from within the brackets. It will come out looking like this.

(view spoiler)

Allwin Jeba Thanks Amber.. Let me try it :)

(view spoiler)

Meran Many many shows will have children actors as children in the show... and change them out entirely once they're officially adults. So, that's no biggie... Jon Snow is already an adult, and unless he changes his sex or grows so old he's unrecognizable, he'll be fine. :D

Imagine being one of these actors.. don't gain weight!!!

and if they were to pass on, heaven forbid, they'll do like what they did with Spartacus.. just bring someone suitable in and everyone will call them the correct name, and the show goes on.

I'd not thought about him writing more books ;) It's rather hard for him to write what he 'owes'... But yes, I agree, Books 4 and 5 were supposed to be one book, according to him, and I'd be fine if they compressed it all into one year of show :D I have to say, they've been doing a pretty good job of paring the dross out anyway. Sure, they may have pulled a bit of good stuff out, but they've definitely removed some unnecessary stuff!

I'll buy them, but I'm waiting to read them. And honestly, if it gets like Wheel of Time (which I've never been interested in, btw) where it's who knows how many books are going to be in the series, I'll stop buying them. And decide then if I'm even going to read what I have...

I like many of the characters. Still. He does have a cast of thousands. And life many time interferes. AND there are lots of really good books out there, whose authors know how to write stories that can conclude with three books :D

message 22: by Feliks (new)

Feliks Nothing will happen. Television sets can still be turned on and off, last time I checked. You're safe.

Kirsten M Something nobody has yet commented on: GRRM's told the showrunners, Benioff and Weiss, the end game of the books. Even if Martin extends to 9 books, heaven-forbid he actually finish the planned 7, the show will go where it is. It's part of what makes watching AND reading so...stressful, I suppose is the word. It changes knowledge of the books and makes it so that certain characters may or may not matter––i.e, Jeyne Westerling and all of the discussion/speculation her hips have caused.

I believe that most involved with the show have already said that they plan on combining books 4 and 5, where little and less happens, into a single season or breaking it up as they have done with this season past. Either way, the show is soon going to pass the books as writ and make up their own thing. Dunk and Egg side episodes or a mini-series is likely enough to happen once everything has run its course but HBO is pretty good about not stretching stuff too far past its expiring point.

Frederik Sørensen George R.R. Martin has enough time. Season 3 on the Tv-show has been cut in half, so that next season is Season 3 Part 2. David Benioff, DB Weiss & George R.R. Martin will figure it out and make sure that it ends up in the best possible manner.
The most important thing, is that George R.R. Martin takes his time. I have seen so many authors write a brilliant book, and then when the fans want a sequel FAST, the author goes on a compromise and publishes a book thats really bad.

Take your time Martin. We all love you, even though it's kind of a Hate/Love relationship :D

Frederik Sørensen Allwin wrote: "*SPOILER*
*SKIP BELOW CONTENT IF YOU HAVEN'T WATCHED or READ Further books*

Neil wrote: "I don't know. The story pretty much bored me by book four. Tried book five for months, and having difficu..."

OH DAMN Allwin. The Kite Runner.. Prepare to cry! That book is without any doubt the saddest on the planet!

Amber Something nobody has yet commented on: GRRM's told the showrunners, Benioff and Weiss, the end game of the books.

This is true. I have my doubts on the justice they'd do it though and I'd really hate for it to play out on TV before the books published. But what can we do? LOL.

Another thing though is that the producers have also said their goal was to make it through Storm of Swords. This is partially the reason I expect the show to wane. Even the producers know that book 4&5 aren't going to render as well. Especially book 4 in my opinion, it really focuses on a bunch of characters that aren't tv favorites, definitely expecting them to just stick to timeline instead of splitting it the way Martin did.

All in all, I give it two decently done seasons left, if it goes past that it will get all lame tv drama b.s. like Gossip Girl or something. Thats my prediction. LOL

message 27: by Kim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim Van Maanen A friend and I were discussing how we thought the series might end. During our discussion, he posed a question to me that I can't help but seriously consider. What if Jon Snow is actually Ned Starks nephew? What if Jon Snow is actually Ned's sister Lyanna and Prince Rheagar child? There are many moments in the books that make me think that this isn't such a crazy notion. I'm currently reading DWD, and so my memory of details from books 1-3 is hazy, but in book 4, page 671, its states that the Prince and Robert both loved the same women? And I'm not 100% sure, again its been a while since I read books 1-3 and the details of Lyanna's death, but didn't Ned find Lyanna in a bed of blood and roses? So, does this imply she died in child birth? Also, does Ned ever actually say, "Jon you are my son?" Or does he only tell him "...you are a Stark of Winterfell"? Just something to think about, it has certainly forced me to consider re-reading the first 3 books and pay more attention to the details of Lyanna's story.

message 28: by Amber (last edited Sep 11, 2013 03:49PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amber Yep. That's basically the big conspiracy.
You can read some good stuff on it at Westeros.org and Tower of the Hand.

If you haven't checked those out I fully recommend them. But watch out for spoilers. Tower of the Hand is safer on this front because you can input what book you've read through.

The possibility is definitely open. Most readers practically take it as cannon. (which is annoying, don't do that! LOL, A theory is a theory until GRRM says in my books)

Robin Amber wrote: "The possibility is definitely open. Most readers practically take it as cannon. (which is annoying, don't do that! LOL, A theory is a theory until GRRM says in my books) "

Well, a lot of people, including myself, came to the theory independently. I thought of the theory entirely on my own and then turned to the internet to discover I certainly wasn't the only one. The fact that many people are inferring such an idea purely from the books and without outside influence certainly lends credence to the theory. Let's just say, if it's not true, I'll be hugely disappointed - not because I'll be wrong but because what I love about the series is the layers and depth it has as an epic and if one of those layers turns out not to be true, I'll be very disappointed.

Mitali Robin wrote: "Let's just say, if it's not true, I'll be hugely disappointed - not because I'll be wrong but because what I love about the series is the layers and depth it has as an epic and if one of those layers turns out not to be true, I'll be very disappointed."

Exactly. The books so strongly hint that Jon is Rhaegar and Lyanna's son, that if it turned out to be not true, GRRM would be basically guilty of deliberately misleading the readers.

Amber Yes, I feel the groundwork is there, it's pretty obvious, and in my opinion the strongest theory. But still a theory.

Martin has laid the groundwork for us to believe that (view spoiler) None of which were true and shows pretty clearly that nothing is as it seems.

I've seen other theories that work fairly well outside of R+L. It's a great theory, I won't knock it, I see why it's believed. But the only reason it's the top theory is because of a single piece of evidence that I've yet to see a compelling argument against or be able to make one against myself, and thats the Kingsgaurd quote from Ned's memory. Other than that, all the evidence is speculative and could be reasoned out just as speculatively as it was put together. In my opinion, it's not being true wouldn't destroy the layers of Martin's story, it could potentially even enrich them the way it did when we find out that (view spoiler)

I'm not trying to discourage your belief in the theory, but definitely investigate the other possibilities and the textual support that could be offered to them. It expands your comprehension of the history and storytelling so much, it's quite enjoyable. Just keep an open mind was all I was really trying to say. Don't just take something as cannon because 80% of the fandom thinks it's the end all say all of the story and want to disparrage any other possibility. Nothing wrong with liking the theory and thinking its the best one, but not acknowledging it isn't cannon is literally choosing to read with tunnel vision.

Amber GRRM would be basically guilty of deliberately misleading the readers.

LOL, Red herrings are one of my favorite literary devices, so this maybe why that idea doesn't bother me as much as others.

message 33: by Mitali (last edited Sep 12, 2013 10:15AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mitali Amber wrote: "Yes, I feel the groundwork is there, it's pretty obvious, and in my opinion the strongest theory. But still a theory.

Martin has laid the groundwork for us to believe that [spoilers removed] No..."

But all those things were stated outright, or at least were generally believed, or in one case, nobody really believed it at all (that Dorne had forgiven the Lannisters)*. They're on the same level as everyone believing that Ned is Jon's father. The fact that (view spoiler), for example, are on the same level as Jon's true parentage. Nobody in-universe thinks that Jon is not Ned's son, given that Jon has strongly Stark features, and the fact that Ned raises him as his own son. Similarly, everyone believes that (view spoiler) The fact that these things are not true is the revelation. Jon's true parentage is just a revelation that hasn't happened yet.

*I don't think anyone - least of all the Lannisters - believed that the Martells had decided to forgive and forget. Tyrion, for one, certainly knew that the Martells could be dangerous allies, and you can be sure that Tywin knew that too. Tywin may have underestimated just how badly the Martells wanted revenge, but he certainly hadn't deluded himself into thinking that he and the Red Viper were going to be BFFs.

message 34: by Amber (last edited Sep 12, 2013 12:55PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amber Well, I had another post here, but after rereading what you wrote I think it finally made sense to me what you were trying to say. Had to really think that out. Anywho, I'm not trying to argue the validity of R+L. It's a valid theory and I agree with you to a point. I'm just saying not to go around claiming it as a textual fact because it's annoying (to me, obviously) when people won't look at the other possibilities a textual fact could lead too. Those were just a few examples of how we were presented with room for speculation but the major speculations about those situations didn't turn out as expected. You can cut them apart all you like, the point is that, the reader was presented with information that led them to an innaccurate conclusion in most cases, but not a bad hypothesis. (Yes, the Lannister one is a stretch, and not a very good example)

R+L is a good theory, it's definitely worth reading and looking into, its worth following and believing, it's not however, at this point, cannon. Doesn't matter the equation. It's speculation and refusing to consider or even accept the possibility that something else could have created the same result that we're left with is shortsighted.

Basically 2+2 is not the only way to reach the number 4 if you get what I mean.

message 35: by Neil (last edited Sep 12, 2013 09:19PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Neil Astin So basically then, if your theories are true, Jon Snow and Daenerys will get married, unite all of Westeros, and then together with her dragons will battle the white walkers coming from beyond the wall, and then happily ever after. There, now I don't have to labour through books 5 to 9. LOL

Nadine I spent last winter reading books 1-5 and enjoyed them for the most part. I did skip chapters here and there, as certain characters held no appeal for me.

I'm glad to hear that GRRM has told the HBO showrunners how the series should end, because that's where I'm going to finish the series. There are too many books in the world to re-read the thousand of pages to catch up before starting the next book.

It pains me as a librarian to say this, but in this case, the movie is better than the book. The plots are tighter, the characters are well developed. There's less chasing hither and thither with no resolution, other than another storyline getting developed.

Yes, the books got me through last year's long New England winter. But summer came and I lost interest.

message 37: by [deleted user] (new)

They HAAAAAAVVVEEEE to do all the books into a series! MAN this TV show is the best <3 <3 <3

Firstname Lastname Amber wrote: "I actually wish his publishers would have just let him publish one giant ass tome instead of two seperate novels."

I am heartily sick of publishing 'decisions' like this. Yeah, so it's a big book. Some of them are. Publishing needs to GTFO of decisions like this AND on covers.

Firstname Lastname Amber wrote: "cannon"

It's canon.