Who's Your Author? discussion

Alpha Instinct (Moon Shifter, #1)
This topic is about Alpha Instinct
Archives 2013 > September BOM: Alpha Instinct

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dawn, Desperately seeking new worlds (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dawn (dawnv) | 4054 comments

Ana Cordona has been a strong leader for the few remaining lupine shifters in her pack. But with no pack males, they're vulnerable to the devious shifter Taggart, who wants to claim both their ranch and Ana as his own. When Connor Armstrong comes back into her life, promising protection as the Alpha male, it's almost enough to make Ana forget how he walked out on her before.

But Taggart and his rival pack are not their only enemies. A human element in town is targeting shifters. Their plan not only threatens Ana and Connor's future-but the existence of the entire pack.

message 2: by Dawn, Desperately seeking new worlds (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dawn (dawnv) | 4054 comments Personally this was a surprising read. I went into it barely reading the blurb, in the end I really enjoyed it ...love when that happens.

Is anyone else planning to read this one or have you already read it?

Lauren (laurenjberman) I'll definitely be reading it this month - probably next week.

message 4: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarahjbailey) | 21 comments Blurb sound really good who's the author.

message 5: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarahjbailey) | 21 comments Ignore above. My phone wasn't loading the front cover picture.

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 3121 comments I really liked the world that this book was set in, loved the whole extended family atmosphere of where the pack lived. What I did get tired of was the way that Ana and Connor didn't trust each other. Both were so scared of the past and how they were and weren't treated that it made it hard for them to accept the one thing that they both wanted so badly.

It is funny how some of the characters were able to grab me, Vivian, who I wanted to protect, Liam, who makes me wish it was my bookstore, Erin, who's past intrigues me, and the random human girl that they guys saved. I think there will be lots more to come with these characters.

I look forward to reading more in this series!

message 7: by Dawn, Desperately seeking new worlds (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dawn (dawnv) | 4054 comments Sarah wrote: "Ignore above. My phone wasn't loading the front cover picture."

My app never loads the pics I just hate that!

message 8: by Dawn, Desperately seeking new worlds (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dawn (dawnv) | 4054 comments I think I have read the first three (two books and a short story I think)

Anyway the trust issue gets old in all the books. It does not annoy me enough to turn me off though.

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 3121 comments Dawn wrote: "I think I have read the first three (two books and a short story I think)

Anyway the trust issue gets old in all the books. It does not annoy me enough to turn me off though."

I do think the trust issues come from the way that women can be treated in their world. Not a good thing.

message 10: by Jacy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jacy (jazabell) | 214 comments I really enjoyed this one. I enjoyed the setting and the relationships. I think that the "bad guy" was the biggest shock for me. I personally think most of the trust issues are justified because as a pack they were trusting of their neighbors and didn't cause problems and were then mistreated by a select few who had earned the pack's trust. As far as trust issues between Ana and Connor, don't forget that she thinks he just left her and Connor thinks he had to prove he's good enough for her, but is so scare she'll not want him anymore. So they both go about protecting themselves from the pain only the other can inflict. Ana can't trust that Connor loves her because he left once, he could do it again. Connor can't trust that Ana still loves him because she was to be mated to another. In this case, it would be completely unrealistic for there not to be trust issues and it would have ruined the book for me because I wouldn't have been able to invest in the characters and their feelings.

message 11: by Dawn, Desperately seeking new worlds (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dawn (dawnv) | 4054 comments Jacy wrote: "I really enjoyed this one. I enjoyed the setting and the relationships. I think that the "bad guy" was the biggest shock for me. I personally think most of the trust issues are justified because as..."

It was rather surprising right...liking the book I mean.
On the trust issue, totally agree with your points, in my comment I was referring to the next two books (rather book and short story) where some variation of the trust issue plays out.

message 12: by Jacy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jacy (jazabell) | 214 comments @Dawn, I realized that after I had already posted. I understand what your getting at, I too have read the book and novella. I just kinda took the mistrust thing as a "Species" kinda of thing. More of an aspect of being a shapeshifter and always being on guard. I'm looking forward to "Mating Instinct" because I'm hoping there's significant increase in the amount of trust among all the characters.

message 13: by Dawn, Desperately seeking new worlds (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dawn (dawnv) | 4054 comments @Jacy kind of off topic but I think it is interesting how in books shifters are waery towards other people. Yet with every single dog, hamster, rabbit ...pet lol I have ever owned you could tell where you stood with the animal right away.
Anyway Mating Instinct is up next for me and I am super excited for that one! Agreed hope we have a different issue to tackle.

message 14: by Jacy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jacy (jazabell) | 214 comments @Dawn, I think the whole thing about the shifters is the human aspect to their nature. Yes, as animals they bare their teeth and you know where they stand, but they are attributed human emotions and thought processes, make it almost impossible for pure animal instinct. Some author handle it beautifully by either making the two sides balanced (Charles from A&O comes to mind, where the man learns to control and trust the wolf) or it's one mind in two forms (Conall from Soulless, except full moons). In the case of Moon Shifters, I think since they are born not bitten, they are born with both attributes leading to a underlying humanism to their animal. I don't really understand my own draw to the series because I read some truly magnificent series and basically judge others by them and I'm not really sure this one measures up to Mercy and a few others. But it does have a pull, maybe it's the whole females are weak and therefore need alphas around and Ana proves that she's capable despite her lack of self confidence. Through all the mistrust, Connor brought out her confidence and showed her she was more than just a weak female.

message 15: by Dawn, Desperately seeking new worlds (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dawn (dawnv) | 4054 comments What draws me to a series is how much I care about the characters and reading how the character changes over the course of a story. For me Kate Reus did a great job. While I have been complaining about the trust thing to your point which I can agree with Ana and Connor had a rough go mostly because of his choice when he walked away. It becomes forgivable when we find out why. I think the same is true in book two with Liam and December, different reasons but still totally understandable due to December's history. Sometimes it feels like the stories are so similar but just different authors.

As for the trust thing I think when you have authors like Ilona Andrews, Jennifer Ashley or Patricia Briggs they just make it tough for everyone :-) Like clearly you are right each of these books people have to overcome their fears/developing trust but you get so wrapped up in the story you forget the initial issue if that makes sense.

Anyway I am looking forward to Kat and Jayce...he to kind of did the unforgivable and I cannot wait to find out how he will win her back. At the same time I think the whole APL story line is rather interesting.

message 16: by Jacy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jacy (jazabell) | 214 comments I never meant to imply that Katie Reus wasn't a good author or that her series was great. I agree the characters are well done and more importantly lovable. I was pull for each couple and was always right there with them. The journey really does make the story. If I only read characters like Mercy, I would have to stop reading :-) it will be interesting to see how things work out between Kat and Jayce!