The 1700-1939 Book Club! discussion

The Murder of Roger Ackroyd (Hercule Poirot, #4)
This topic is about The Murder of Roger Ackroyd
Past Group Reads > Ending of The Murder of Roger Ackroyd by Agatha Christie (SPOILERS!!!)

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jamie  (jaymers8413) | 738 comments Mod
This is for the discussion of the end of The Murder of Roger Ackroyd by Agatha Christie. I would say you would talk about the last third of the book but this will be focused on the ending so BEWARE OF SPOILERS!!!

Wikipedia: "This is one of Christie's best known and most controversial novels, its innovative twist ending having a significant impact on the genre."

So I may read this because I want to know the ending! I hope I can fit it in!

message 2: by Pip (new) - rated it 5 stars

Pip As Jamie said, this novel has been very controversial amongst mystery aficionados, many of whom feel that Christie cheated by revealing the narrator to be the culprit.

What do you think? Does this breaking of one of the cardinal rules of detective fiction add to or take away from the success of the book?

Also, had you worked out whodiddit, or did you have another suspect in mind?

message 3: by Joanne (new)

Joanne I thought that having the narrator as the actual perpetrator of the crime was quite clever and not cheating. I enjoyed that surprise at the end along with some of the other surprises attached to it such as Ralph's admission into the nursing home.

I had not worked out the whodunit at all. We were baited in a lot of different directions into false leads. That was one of the things that made this book fun.

Still, as I said on the other post, I didn't find this book especially good. I thought the characters were too bland and without dimension. If you like a mystery as a logic puzzle, its good.

Casceil | 93 comments This book came out in 1926. A few years later, Christie and a few other British mystery writers (including Sayers and Chesterton) came up with a list of rules of "fair play" for mystery authors. To see the list, check this link:

http://www.seattlemystery.com/rules-f...

Query whether Roger Ackroyd complies with Rule no. 8?

message 5: by Joanne (new)

Joanne If we are going by the "rules of fair play" then yes, I think number 8 was compromised. However, in creative writing, I don't believe in rules. If you have been duped by some sort of trickery, that's your own fault!

Chrissy | 1 comments Wow the ending just killed me^^
I've already heard that there will be a big surprise in the end but I kinda thought it would be Flora :D i dont think it was cheating of her, it was a really nice twist. Gonna totally recommand that book

Jamie  (jaymers8413) | 738 comments Mod
I liked the book and would reread it if I had more interest in the characters and not solely on who murdered Roger Ackroyd. I was going to comment in the other thread about if the doctor was a reliable narrator or not. I did not believe so since he lied not only to all the characters but to us the reader. Once the dictaphone was mention I began to suspect the doctor but that was the very end.