Outlander (Outlander, #1) Outlander discussion

Will you watch the Outlander tv show on Starz?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 156 (156 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Michael (last edited Sep 02, 2013 11:30AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Michael I know this isnt really common but I'm a guy who loves the Outlander book series,I don't know I guess I just love romance,and I can't wait for the tv show an I just hope that every outlasted book fan will tune in so the show gets outstanding ratings and becomes a phenomenon like Game Of Thrones

Euraylie I will definitely watch. In fact, I'm quite getting quite excited. I don't think it will ever be able to live up our imaginations, but as long as it's made well and acted well I want to see it.

And yay a male fan!
I was at a reading once where Diana Gabaldon said they changed the covers to be more gender neutral because she had many male fans and they didn't want them to feel embarrassed reading the books in public...plus she thinks the books transcend the target audience.

message 3: by Michael (last edited Sep 02, 2013 11:31AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Michael I'm so glad I'm not the only male fan of the series!
And yes I think this is a phenomenal book for both men and women.And I quite love the covers,but think the original ones were cool also but love the new ones the best.

Erma Jo I do not subscribe but I will when Outlander comes out. I just hope they do justice to the book. Diana Gabaldon is an awesome author.

Julia Miller Cool, this is the first I have heard of it being made to a show. But hey, we will have to see. I just hope they do a good job with it. I will be interested to see who the cast is and how the pilot starts out. :)

Michael Erma Jo wrote: "I do not subscribe but I will when Outlander comes out. I just hope they do justice to the book. Diana Gabaldon is an awesome author."

Great,I already have Hbo and Starz so I'm good

message 7: by Michael (last edited Sep 02, 2013 12:09PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Michael Julia wrote: "Cool, this is the first I have heard of it being made to a show. But hey, we will have to see. I just hope they do a good job with it. I will be interested to see who the cast is and how the pilot ..."

Yep it should be coming out next year,there filming this fall in Scotland,and they already picked out Jamie

Julia Miller Michael wrote: "Julia wrote: "Cool, this is the first I have heard of it being made to a show. But hey, we will have to see. I just hope they do a good job with it. I will be interested to see who the cast is and ..."

Cool! Do you know who is playing Jamie? :)

Michael I think his name is Sam Heugan here's a link to the Outlander page http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3006802/?...

message 10: by Dee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dee they have also cast Frank/BJR - going to be played by the same guy - Tobias Menzies - http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0580014/?r...

the producer (Ron Moore) is a huge fan of the series and Sam (Jamie) has already read the book several times in preparation

Michael Really 7 times,that's awesome news,so he should turn out to be the perfect Jamie,I can't wait to see who they cast as Claire.By the way I heard that one women read outlander 27 times I think Diana mentions it in the graphic novel.Also I'm not sure but I think Ron Moore is also the creator/show runner not just the producer

Michael I think they cast Frank good but I think it's unusual he's playing his ancestor also I never pictured them as identical.

message 13: by Dee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dee i don't...because Claire when she went back in time, mistook BJR for Frank (view spoiler)

message 14: by Michael (last edited Sep 02, 2013 06:12PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Michael I know,but I don't remember him being a exact twin,but I like the casting and that he plays bother parts making it sure people would know all the time why she mistook him for frank

message 15: by Dee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dee i vaguely remember from the book it wasn't the looks that distiguished the two, but the personality - because when she returned, she couldn't get past BJR to see Frank at times

message 16: by D.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

D.G. I too hope they do a good job with the series. I really like Sam as Jamie.

Yup, Claire thought that BJR was Frank when she first met him so it makes sense they would cast the same guy.

I'm excited for the show but I don't have cable so I don't know how I'll watch it!

Euraylie So far I really like their casting choices and I love Ron Moore's other shows (Star Trek and Battlestar Galatica), which had excellent characters and good writing, so my hopes are high.

message 18: by Eileen (new) - added it

Eileen Iciek I do not subscribe to Starz, so I may have to wait for the DVD to come out.

message 19: by Kari (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kari I will definitely watch it! I think the actors are good choices so far. Especially Tobias Menzies. He looks like I would picture Black Jack Randall and Frank. I'm anxious to see who they get for Claire.

And I think it's awesome that there are male fans out there of the series! I don't really view these as romance stories (either does DG), so I don't think it's only for women. Kudos, guys, for recognizing a great series!

message 20: by Faye (new) - rated it 5 stars

Faye Thompson I am so going to watch the show! I avoided the books for years thinking...why would I want to read about a woman who goes back in time and marries a Scot Highlander! Oh did I not know what I was missing!!

Michael gertt wrote: "Michael wrote: "I think they cast Frank good but I think it's unusual he's playing his ancestor also I never pictured them as identical."

Clair clearly states serveral times that Frank and Jack Ra..."

It is a highly epic novel I agree

Euraylie I can't believe that it's been 18 years since I first read "Outlander" and now I'll be seeing it on screen. I'm so nervous, but in a good way.

Leslie I didn't know they were making a show!!!! I'm so excited!!!! I don't have Starz though. I'll just wait for it to be on dvd.

Michael Euraylie wrote: "I can't believe that it's been 18 years since I first read "Outlander" and now I'll be seeing it on screen. I'm so nervous, but in a good way."

Wow that's great,it's funny I'm relatively new to outlander I just first read it summer of 2012,and I found myself hoping and wishing that it would become a tv show like Game Of Thrones,now my prayers have been answered.

message 25: by Euraylie (last edited Sep 03, 2013 08:17PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Euraylie Michael wrote: "Euraylie wrote: "I can't believe that it's been 18 years since I first read "Outlander" and now I'll be seeing it on screen. I'm so nervous, but in a good way."

Wow that's great,it's funny I'm rel..."

Lol it was my summer read in 1995. I was 16 and fell in love with the book.
I've re-read it several times since then.

Michael Euraylie wrote: "Michael wrote: "Euraylie wrote: "I can't believe that it's been 18 years since I first read "Outlander" and now I'll be seeing it on screen. I'm so nervous, but in a good way."

Wow that's great,it..."

Really wow 7 times,I'm actually planning a re read before the tv show premiers just so it's fresh in my head.I'm on the second book right now page 44.Do you have a favorite in the series?I don't yet because I'm only on the second book.

Pamela Ennis I sure hope they don't destroy the integrity of the series making it into a series... The director and writer are always changing the way the author writes it originally and I really hate that.

Euraylie Michael wrote: "Euraylie wrote: "Michael wrote: "Euraylie wrote: "I can't believe that it's been 18 years since I first read "Outlander" and now I'll be seeing it on screen. I'm so nervous, but in a good way."

Wo..."

The first one is still my favorite, but of the series I prefer books 1 -4 (the first half :)

@ Pamela, I'm also afraid of that.
I actually don't think I'll do a re-read before the show starts just so I won't be quite too attached to the book version.

message 29: by Marilee (last edited Sep 04, 2013 01:14PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Marilee It's been a long time since I read Outlander... I didn't know it was being made into a cable series, but I'm just a complete sucker for costume dramas.

I'm undecided if I'll wait to re-read until after seeing the series. That's always a bit of a dilemma, as I fully understand that films for theater or TV are a different medium, more visual than literary and changes are necessarily always made. I don't like to spoil either experience [reading or watching] by excessive comparison.

Right now I'm watching The White Queen on Starz, based on Philippa Gregory's book of the same title set in the 15th century.

If you don't subscribe to Starz yet, you can watch the first episode of White Queen on line, free.

http://www.starz.com/originals/TheWhi...

message 30: by Susan (new) - added it

Susan Definitely Will be Watching Outlander The Books are Etched on my Brain...

message 31: by D.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

D.G. Voyager (Outlander, #3) by Diana Gabaldon is my favorite. :)

But I still have the last one left to read...I want to read it closer to the release of Heart's Blood.

Michael I'm confident that the series is going to stick very well to the book,due to it getting a 16 episode first season,that's 6 more then game of thrones gets and I think Game Of Thrones does extremely well

message 33: by Euraylie (last edited Sep 04, 2013 03:55PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Euraylie I might be wrong with this theory but I think they will take longer than one season to get through one book...otherwise by book 3 they're going to have a huge aging problem.

message 34: by Eileen (new) - added it

Eileen Iciek Euraylie wrote: "I might be wrong with this theory but I think they will take longer than one season to get through one book...otherwise by book 3 they're going to have a huge aging problem."

If they were to do all 8 or 9 books (I know only 7 have been published, but #8 is expected shortly, and Diana has said it could be 9), this series could go on for years. Not that I would have any complaints, mind you.

Michael Eileen wrote: "Euraylie wrote: "I might be wrong with this theory but I think they will take longer than one season to get through one book...otherwise by book 3 they're going to have a huge aging problem."

If t..."

If they adapt all the books they could have 4 seasons on each book as long as they do them all

Samyann No, I don't think I will. I enjoyed the books, and there is no way my imaginary visions of the characters can be met. I'd be disappointed. Besides, I've no doubt they will bastardize the stories. They've screwed up Under the Dome horribly. And King is even one of the producers. So..... I'll take a pass.

Leslie Samyann they did screw up Under The Dome but not as bad as they screwed up True Blood.

Michael Samyann wrote: "No, I don't think I will. I enjoyed the books, and there is no way my imaginary visions of the characters can be met. I'd be disappointed. Besides, I've no doubt they will bastardize the stories. T..."

They screwed up under the dome because they made a tv show out of 1 book remember that,as for true blood well that's just an example of horrible writers

message 39: by Michael (last edited Sep 05, 2013 07:16PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Michael Ron Moore is a huge fan of the series and has collaborated with Diana Gabaldon

Moarbooxpls I plan on watching it and am following the casting updates eagerly. I don't have Starz yet, but I plan on adding it before the series starts.

Lesley I started reading these books in 1991 when the first in the series, Outlander was published. I've eagerly waited for each installment and reread the whole series once. I plan to reread again before the next book is published and before the TV series. I have high hopes for the series. Love the casting so far and watching with eagerness for the announcement of the actress who will play Claire.

message 42: by Michael (last edited Sep 07, 2013 12:08PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Michael Just a heads up they just cast Dougal and some others,you can find more info on imdb.The guy playing Dougal is from The Hobbit

Euraylie Thanks!

Colum will be played by Gary Lewis ...whom I really enjoyed in "Merlin" and Dougal will be played by Graham McTavish.

And they're both Scottish! :)

Julie I won't make a decision until they cast Claire. If they cast a waifish, model-pretty woman, I'm not watching it.

message 45: by Dee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dee i figure considering how well they have done with the casting so far, compared to book descriptions, that we aren't going to have to worry

Lesley I have high hopes for the TV series. I really like all the choices so far from producers, script writers to actors. All have a really good track record and have done fine work. As for the actors, they are well trained Scottish and British actors. I am happy they are not well known Hollywood types!

message 47: by Jane (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jane Quein When is it expected to begin?

message 48: by Dee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dee Jane - its due to start March 2014

Michael How do you know this?

Cindi Yay! So I need to plan to add Starz next March ... What I don't understand is how they are already filming in Scotland (good location, I hear) without a Claire?

« previous 1 3 4