The Eye of the World (The Wheel of Time, #1) The Eye of the World discussion

How come The Wheel Of Time doesnt have traditional mythical creatures?

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michael (new) - added it

Michael This has been a huge put off to me,I mean I'm totally going to read this series because of the legth and all the people saying how amazing it is and all the people rating it the best fantasy,but I mean who wants to read a fantasy without dragons,trolls,giants,elves,dwarves.....etc

message 2: by Aaron (last edited Sep 02, 2013 11:23AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Aaron There are a large array of fantasy creatures. Jordan just created his own for the most part.

Besides, who wants to read the same old fantasy story anyway? It's bad enough that there is only one basic story in fantasy, there might as well be different creatures and rules of magic, etc.

Greg Michael wrote: "who wants to read a fantasy without dragons,trolls,giants,elves,dwarves.....etc "

The crap-ton of people who enjoyed these novels and appreciated the originality of the world Jordan created?

message 4: by Michael (last edited Sep 02, 2013 11:24AM) (new) - added it

Michael Aaron wrote: "There are a large array of fantasy creatures. Jordan just created his own for the most part.

Besides, who wants to read the same old fantasy story anyway? It's bad enough that there is only one ba..."

That's another way to think of it I personally just love dragons and such

Neal Simmons There are some very late in the series.

You have to remember though, it is set up to be a continuing cycle of our civilization. Many of the myths and legends mentioned are taken straight from history.

message 6: by Michael (new) - added it

Michael Neal wrote: "There are some very late in the series.

You have to remember though, it is set up to be a continuing cycle of our civilization. Many of the myths and legends mentioned are taken straight from h..."

What,really? Could you elaborate

Adam It is not a major spoiler, and one might read the whole series without realizing it. So read at your own risk a small explanation on why no elves and no dwarfs!

(view spoiler)

Robert Sier What,really? Could you elaborate

All of the Trolloc tribal names are mythical monsters if you sound 'em out, and it seems like every region of the planet calls Myrddraal by a different name - all of which are traditional bogeymen. Ogier have the minds of Tolkienesque elves and the bodies of ogres.

On top of that, several of the Forsaken have namesakes in mythology and history, and the Horn of Valere summons Japanese and Hindu deities alongside King Arthur and Saints Michael and Patrick - albeit under slightly different names. The horn itself bears significant resemblance to a Viking legend of a horn to be sounded at Ragnarok.

These could be viewed as simply parallels or weavings of existing myth into Jordan's work, but the explicitly stated nature of the wheel of time is that things keep coming back in similar form.

message 9: by Michael (new) - added it

Michael Adam wrote: "It is not a major spoiler, and one might read the whole series without realizing it. So read at your own risk a small explanation on why no elves and no dwarfs!

There aren't many mythical creature..."

Really,so it's set in the future,how,did the author ever mention this

message 10: by Neal (new) - rated it 5 stars

Neal Simmons If you read the entire series, it makes sense. Some of the later books go into the past and what happened.

Robin Hood is mentioned. Arthur is mentioned. Greenmen are actually in the book. One of the towns is a Hebrew name for Hell. The proper name for the Dark One is actually a name used in to refer to the devil. Several other myths and legends come out under different/slightly altered names.

message 11: by J.A. (last edited Sep 04, 2013 12:48PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

J.A. Kenney WOT was a unique fantasy story, but honestly if you dig a little deeper all those themes are there.

The evil creatures, the fantasy beings, the magical humans, the everyday men or women who fight against the evil.

So yeah the classic themes might be missing but all of them have been replaced with an equivalent that serve the same purpose.

LOVE these stories...though I do wish Robert Jordan had been able to finish the series. The last few were good...but like all of Brandon Sanderson's books IMHO not great.

Vaughn this was my first fantasy, my first series, and my all time favorite.

Roland Boykin I'm with you J.A. I have never been impressed with Sanderson's works either. I think what makes WOT such a fascinating story is the fact that all the classic themes are really there but very cleverly disguised.
Vaughn, this is also my all time favorite epic fantasy.

Vaughn I haven't really enjoyed another of this indepenadabt genre. Urban fantasy or paranormal or the only thing the comes close to the love I have for this body of work.

message 15: by Adam (new) - rated it 5 stars

Adam Michael wrote: "Really,so it's set in the future,how,did the author ever mention this "

It is never stated outright in the books (to my knowledge) but there are clues all over the place, like skeletons of creatures we find today, giraffes for example.

Then there are 'legends' like: "Mosk the Giant, with his Lance of Fire that could reach around the world." - Mosk being Moscow aka Russia in the cold war.

"Merk the other giant." - America in cold war.

"Tell us about Lenn," Egwene called. "How he flew to the moon in the belly of an eagle made of fire. Tell about his daughter Salya walking among the stars." - (Eagle has landed.../Lenn may be a merger of LEM (lunar module) and Glenn)

message 16: by Shrike (last edited Nov 05, 2013 04:05PM) (new)

Shrike Trollocs are basically your standard orcs: bestial humanoid footsoldiers for the heroes to chop up.

The Aelfinn and Eelfinn - Snakes and Foxes - are elves (it's even in the name), but of a very specific kind. Instead of the usual modern fantasy version, Jordan goes back to their origin, the Fair Folk, and particularly the Seelie and Unseelie Courts of Scottish fairy tales. Thus their aversion to cold iron, musical instruments, and fire.

The gholam is derived from the Golem of Prague, which not only has gotten a lot of traction in other fantasy, but was a fictionalization of a real occurrence in the 16th century.

There are werewolves (Wolfbrothers), vampires (Draghkar), ghosts, and zombies or whatever you'd call Aran'gar and Osan'gar - liches, perhaps. Either way they're reanimated corpses.

Vaughn Nynaeve gets less annoying.

M. Joseph Murphy Easy answer: because Jordan wasn't lazy and created his own world. It's far to easy to just say "elf". It's much harder and more creative to create your own world and own races.

message 19: by Joseph (new) - added it

Joseph I loved WOT. (And I also thought that Sanderson was probably the best thing that ever happened to the series, sorry guys.)

But yeah, even the more traditional mythology that Jordan used, he used in an unusual manner. I love a classic fairy tale as much as the next guy, but WOT offers a nice break from the cliche. Nicely thought out magical system, too. That's a little rarer in epic fantasy than it is in some of the other fantasy subgenres.

message 20: by Alex (new) - rated it 5 stars

Alex Andrasik Adam wrote: "Michael wrote: "Really,so it's set in the future,how,did the author ever mention this "

It is never stated outright in the books (to my knowledge) but there are clues all over the place, like skel..."

And Salya is Sally Ride, an astronaut who seems to have been mythologized in Lenn/Glenn's daughter by the period of WoT.

Ciara Ballintyne Michael wrote: "This has been a huge put off to me,I mean I'm totally going to read this series because of the legth and all the people saying how amazing it is and all the people rating it the best fantasy,but I ..."

Why wouldn't you want to read a fantasy book without them? There are loads of books without them (most of what I read doesn't have them) so it's not exactly a trope of the genre. The defining characteristic of epic fantasy is actually a clash between good and evil on a grand scale in an invented fantasy world, and this is definitely epic fantasy.

I prefer books without elves and dwarves etc. I find them derivative, and too often same old same old. Also, using them means everyone is basically playing in Tolkien's park.

Does this mean you haven't read any of Eddings, Goodkind, or Sanderson? George RR Martin? What about Pratchett (who has elves, and dwarves, but not in the traditional sense)?

Ciara Ballintyne Adam wrote: "Michael wrote: "Really,so it's set in the future,how,did the author ever mention this "

It is never stated outright in the books (to my knowledge) but there are clues all over the place, like skel..."

There is also a Mercedes Benz badge in the museum at Tanchico.

Raychell Pettijohn As the book says:
"The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again."

There are so many tidbits of myths, old stories and present day wraped up in such an amazing story. Part of the fun of reading the series over and over is figuring out those hidden gems that add so many layers to the stories.

Keith Allen Like Star Wars the Wheel of Time is set in a place that is way behind and ahead of our time, at the same time.

A place so vastly different that our mythos creatures have morphed into the rakin and the ghlom. The One Power is magic and dragons are only legends in this place.

The Wheel of Time series is about characters; a ton of characters!! This is what turns most off to the series.

message 25: by Michael (last edited Dec 06, 2013 11:26AM) (new) - added it

Michael Ciara wrote: "Michael wrote: "This has been a huge put off to me,I mean I'm totally going to read this series because of the legth and all the people saying how amazing it is and all the people rating it the bes..."

Love Martin,but he has dragons and giants

message 26: by Michael (new) - added it

Michael Goodkind has dragons also

message 27: by Alex (new) - rated it 5 stars

Alex Andrasik As wonderful as it is that Jordan went in a different direction with his fantastical creatures, we shouldn't fall into the trap of thinking "using standard creatures (dragons, giants, elves)" = lazy. It's all in how the author uses the elements he or she chooses to include.

message 28: by Kat (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kat I am so glad I read this thread. I've read the series once thru, and have just restarted it.

I never clued in to that stuff.. Moscow, Merk and the moon landing.

This will be an interesting re-read now!!