Jewish Historical Fiction discussion

book promotion

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn Oser | 47 comments I need some ideas and hope you can help. The Baltimore Jewish Times has called my book "a must-read." How can I use this to promote the book--beyond the obvious step of including it on my web site?

message 2: by Lewis (new)

Lewis Weinstein (lewweinstein) | 42 comments Marilyn wrote: "I need some ideas and hope you can help. The Baltimore Jewish Times has called my book "a must-read." How can I use this to promote the book--beyond the obvious step of including it on my web site?"

Some ideas ...
have someone post it as a review on amazon ... also of course on Goodreads ... send an email to every Jewish center or synagogue library ... send an email with the quote included to Jewish newspapers who do book reviews; if interested, send a review copy.

message 3: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn Oser | 47 comments Thanks, Lewis. Those are great suggestions.

message 4: by Mirta (last edited Feb 17, 2014 05:06PM) (new)

Mirta Trupp | 62 comments I have been asked to speak at the Jewish Genealogy Society of Las Vegas. I am honored to speak to this club regarding research in Argentina. In addition, I will be doing a phone interview with a radio station from Stanford University discussing Jewish immigration to Argentina. I have had an article printed in the Toldot, an award winning magazine in Argentina for Jewish genealogy. Hopefully, this will help in promoting my memoir! Here is my latest review regarding With Love, The Argentina Family: Memories of Tango and Kugel; Mate with Knishes

" I loved this book.....touching and full of humor, Ms. Trupp tells her own story of enduring ties to family and cultural traditions, and the weaving of her Argentinian roots and customs with those of her new country, the USA. Being an immigrant means standing out, and not of one's own choosing. And then being not only a foreigner but Jewish as well! Through laughter and tears, we follow Ms. Trupp's journey to an identity that includes the best of each world." Linda Catalan Sklar

message 5: by Tony (new)

Tony Attanasio The Iranian Connection: Code Word Orchid

OK FOLKS...THIS IS MY NEWEST BOOK - ALREADY HAD FIVE STAR EVALUATIONS FROM READERS ON AMAZON/B&N/GOODREADS...IF YOU HAVE KINDLE???? FREE!!!! FROM MARCH 16 - TO MARCH 20TH...FREE!!

YOU WANT TO LEARN HOW IRAN RECRUITS YOUNG PALESTINIANS FOR JIHAD ACTIVITY?
HOW IRAN PLANNED TO DESTROY THE WORLD ECONOMY AND BENEFIT?
HOW A MOSSAD AND DEA AGENT DISRUPTED THIS PLAN? AND HOW RADICAL ISLAM AND ORGANIZED CRIME WORK TOGETHER...AND VERY WELL.... SO WRITE DOWN THE DATES...IF YOU DO NOT HAVE KINDLE..THE BOOK IS LESS THAN ELEVEN DOLLARS AND ROYALTIES GO TO THE NYPD FOUNDATION...SEE WEBSITE...

THOSE OF YOU THAT HAVE READ THIS BOOK - PLEASE COMMENT...

THANK YOU

message 6: by Mirta (new)

Mirta Trupp | 62 comments I'm working with this organization; helping the poor in Northern Argentina get basics---like CLEAN WATER! For every copy of my book purchased through Createspace, I will donate 20% of the sale to Argentinos Mirando al Sur:

With Love, The Argentina Family: Memories of Tango and Kugel; Mate with Knishes

http://www.argentinosmirandoalsur.inf...

message 7: by Harriet (new)

Harriet Pike | 1 comments With the Palestinian boycotts, divestment and sanctions (BDS) campaign giving new impetus to anti-Semitism in America, my just-published thriller, "Enemy in the Garden," hits a timely note. Set in the 1970s, it is a fast-moving adventure story of an ordinary suburban family caught up in a neo-fascist plot when the husband is kidnapped.
Available on Amazon in paperback and ebook, with a Reading Group Guide for book clubs and discussion groups. Reviews on Amazon.com and/or Goodreads are welcome.

message 8: by Dan (last edited Apr 08, 2014 10:18AM) (new)

Dan Haronian | 1 comments Hello

My name is Dan Haronian. My first novel, Shethor, was translated into English by Dalit Shmueli and was edited by Thaddaeus Moody. They both did a great job.

The name Shethor has a meaning, but it's not related to the Nordic mythology.

fantascize.com wrote a thorough review (http://www.fantascize.com/content.php...)
Below are two paragraphs from this review:

"Dan Haronian's social science fiction novel, SHETHOR, will entice SFF readers with the rich culture, economy, history, and technology of its gritty underground cities beneath the Mampas desert."

"While reading SHETHOR, I felt like I was breathing and living in Mampas….With a well-developed setting, mind-bending concept of "scrambling", and a thrilling mission for freedom and justice, SHETHOR is an enjoyable and thought-provoking science fiction experience that could possibly scramble your views of reality."

Please visit the book on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/SHETHOR-Dan-Har...

message 9: by A.J. (new)

A.J. Sidransky | 2 comments Wish I had discovered this thread a year ago. If you love Jewish historical fiction check out my debut novel published last year, Forgiving Maximo Rothman. Selected by NJBA as a finalist for Outstanding Debut Fiction. From the jungles of the Dominican Republic in the 1940's to the frozen wastes of Siberia in the 1970's to present day Washington Heights in NYC I hope you;ll enjoy the journey. Check out reviews on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Forgiving-Maxim...

message 10: by A.J. (new)

A.J. Sidransky | 2 comments Marilyn wrote: "I need some ideas and hope you can help. The Baltimore Jewish Times has called my book "a must-read." How can I use this to promote the book--beyond the obvious step of including it on my web site?"

If you have a page on Facebook post about it there and if you are on twitter tweet about it. I find that social media posting has a strong effect on my book sales. AJ Sidransky

message 11: by Patrick (new)

Patrick Clark | 13 comments The Taurus Express Double Cross Gone Wrong by Patrick Nolan Clark

This is an espionage thriller set in the World War II time frame and much of the action occurs in the Palestine mandate. The author is a gentile and the main character is a Catholic, but as an OSS intelligence officer the protagonist works closely with Jewish Haganah operatives in running down a German sabotage ring. I have tried to capture the character of life in Palestine at the time and provide the context for the independence of Israel a few years later.

message 12: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn Oser | 47 comments Sounds good, Patrick. Good luck with it.

message 13: by Maggie (new)

Maggie Anton | 40 comments This is an embarrassing request but nothing ventured, nothing gained.

I just posted the 2-minute speech I gave about Enchantress: A Novel of Rav Hisda's Daughter at the Jewish Book Council on my Goodreads author page - Maggie Anton. Apparently videos are ranked by the number of views, and since it has 0, it's way down on the bottom of my video list. Could you please do me a big favor and watch it [actually you could do something else while it's running] so it can get to the top of the list where anyone who goes to my author page will actually see it?

Thanks so much, Maggie
Enchantress A Novel of Rav Hisda's Daughter by Maggie Anton

message 14: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth | 1 comments Maggie wrote: "This is an embarrassing request but nothing ventured, nothing gained.

I just posted the 2-minute speech I gave about Enchantress: A Novel of Rav Hisda's Daughter at the Jewish Book..."

Maggie Anton, I absolutely LOVE your books!!!! I read all 3 of the Rashi's Daughters books in one week and can't wait to start on the Rav Hisda's Daughter books! Great to hear that the 2nd book has been released.

message 15: by Sande (new)

Sande Boritz   Berger (sandesteve) | 16 comments I'm looking forward to reading Rashi's Daughters Maggie. I too just gave a speech at the JBN...I'm new to Goodreads but will put your book on my list.

Best,

Sande Boritz Berger
The Sweetness She Writes Press Sept.23 2014

message 16: by Maggie (new)

Maggie Anton | 40 comments Sande wrote: "I'm looking forward to reading Rashi's Daughters Maggie. I too just gave a speech at the JBN...I'm new to Goodreads but will put your book on my list. "

The Jewish Book Network can really help Jewish authors get themselves out there, as can Goodreads. If you haven't put up an author's page here, get on it right away and start accumulating friends. Join the authors program on GR as they send newsletters with all sorts of ways to promote your books.

message 17: by Patrick (new)

Patrick Clark | 13 comments The Salt Mine The Trail of Nazi Blood Money A Tom O'Brien OSS Agent Novel by Patrick Nolan Clark

My newest novel, The Salt Mine: The Trail of Nazi Blood Money, will be available as an e-book on Kindle for a limited time at an introductory price of $.99. This is the fifth novel in the series Tom O'Brien: OSS Agent and deals with American intelligence activities in World War II. In the course of the series, O'Brien occasionally works with the Haganah and various Jewish groups in the pursuit of Allied interests.

In this novel, O'Brien finds himself stranded in Lausanne, Switzerland a few months after D-Day. As an intelligence officer with the Office of Strategic Services operating clandestinely in a neutral country, he is subject to execution as a spy, or internment for the duration of the war at best. Seeking refuge, he turns to the only place he can think of, a synagogue. O'Brien has two gold bars in his pockets, gold he has stolen from a shipment of Nazi gold being sent to Switzerland for God knows what. As he hands the gold bars to the rabbi, he tells him the gold was probably stolen from Jews in the first place and the rabbi might as well use it to help his people.

message 18: by Bernadette (new)

Bernadette Jansen op de Haar (bernadettejodh) | 1 comments Tonia moves with her family from Poland to British Mandate Palestine, first to her uncle’s small apartment in Tel Aviv and later to the kibbutz that her father Josef helped to establish.

Due to the hardships of life in the kibbutz and against the backdrop of what is happening in Nazi-occupied Europe, she longs for security and comfort.

Then she meets Amos, tall with ever so long legs and dark complexion, her ‘Italian boy’. Both have their hearts set on different ideals, yet they are unmistakably drawn to each other.

They make an interesting pair. Amos is a handsome and exotic Yemenite who fights in the Jewish underground, to which Tonia's father is vehemently opposed. Despite their different backgrounds Tonia and Amos fall in love.

This budding romance is interrupted by the siege of Tonia’s home, Kfar Etzion. The desperate fight is described very movingly in this fictionalized account of the siege and fall of the Etzion Bloc.

Afterward Tonia makes a great sacrifice in order to realize her dream. She moves to Grand Rapids, Michigan in the US, hoping her family will follow her. But is this where she belongs?

If you haven’t read The Lonely Tree by Yael Politis already you should check it out.

message 19: by Allan (last edited Nov 11, 2015 09:24AM) (new)

Allan H. Goodman (allan_h_goodman) | 9 comments Marilyn wrote: "I need some ideas and hope you can help. The Baltimore Jewish Times has called my book "a must-read." How can I use this to promote the book--beyond the obvious step of including it on my web site?"

Marilyn - You should ask your publisher or whoever has control of the content of the Amazon page for your book to post the review as an Editorial Review.

The Editorial Reviews appear above the product details on the Amazon page. They are not customer/reader reviews but are more of the nature of critic reviews.

The review can simply say:

"A must read." -- The Baltimore Jewish Times.

A short, effective, positive review carries as much weight as a detailed one, and can be read in an instant.

Hope this helps.

Allan Goodman

message 20: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn Oser | 47 comments Thanks, Allan. I have a new book out, EVEN YOU, and I will try your suggestion with that one, as well. "A gripping read."--Manhattan Book Review.

message 21: by Peter (new)

Peter (74765525) | 4 comments Maggie wrote: "Sande wrote: "I'm looking forward to reading Rashi's Daughters Maggie. I too just gave a speech at the JBN...I'm new to Goodreads but will put your book on my list. "

The Jewish Book Network can r..."

I'm interested in this Jewish Book Network. My novel, House Divided, deals with the threat of the BDS movement on college campuses. I would hope some people in that group would be interested.

message 22: by Laura (new)

Laura Parenteau | 6 comments Maggie wrote: "This is an embarrassing request but nothing ventured, nothing gained.

I just posted the 2-minute speech I gave about Enchantress: A Novel of Rav Hisda's Daughter at the Jewish Book..."

I just put your first Rashi's Daughter on my "to read" list as well. Happy to view the entire 2 min. video (my sister has done that twice-more on her books in sep. post), will even tweet it too.

message 23: by Laura (new)

Laura Parenteau | 6 comments New to group and I'm not sure if "Book Promotion" means you can promote a book but I'd like to introduce you to my sister, T.K. Thorne's historical fiction.

Considered controversial by some for including the role of the feminine divine in early Hebrew history and her twists on the legend of the woman who turned to salt in the story of Sodom and Gomorrah, Angels at the Gate has received rave reviews including a starred Library Journal review. Like her debut novel, NOAH'S WIFE (ForeWord Reviews’ Book of the Year for Historical Fiction) this historical novel is a coming-of-age saga of an unknown woman only briefly mentioned in one of the most famous biblical tales.

ANGELS AT THE GATE is the story of Adira, destined to become Lot’s wife. A daughter of Abram’s tribe, Adira is an impetuous young girl whose mother died in childbirth. Secretly raised as a boy in her father’s caravan and schooled in languages and the art of negotiation, Adira rejects the looming changes of womanhood that threaten her nomadic life and independence.

But Adira’s world unravels with the arrival of two mysterious strangers—Northmen from an ancient tribe known as the Watchers, men rumored to be holy messengers from El. Raiders invade the caravan, and she loses everything she values most—her father, her freedom, and even the “Angels.”

Caught between her oath to her father to return to her tribe and the “proper life for a woman” and tormented by an impossible love, she abandons all she has known in a dangerous quest to seek revenge and find her kidnapped “Angel.” With only her beloved dog, Nami, at her side, Adira must use the skills she learned in the caravan to survive the perils of the desert, Sodom, and her own heart.

ANGELS AT THE GATE is a story of adventure and the power of love, exploring themes about choice —the importance of asking the right questions and walking the fine line between duty and personal freedom.

message 24: by Gefen (new)

Gefen Publishing (gefenpublishinghouse) | 1 comments Shalom all, I work for Gefen Publishing House in Jerusalem. We publish 25+ titles of all genres a year.
A new program I have set up is to build a database of avid readers who would like FREE ebooks in exchange for an honest review on amazon, B&N and Goodreads.
If you are interested, please sign up at the below link
http://goo.gl/forms/l8h0LhKvRK
THANKS

message 25: by Dov (new)

Dov Ivry | 1 comments I am a Canadian who lives in Israel. I've got 42 books out of which five are fiction. One falls in the category of historical fiction, although I would call it a docudrama. It's about the grand Jewish heroine Zainab who assassinated Muhammad.

Khaibar: The Assassination Of Muhammad

https://sites.google.com/site/2inimeg...

Dov Ivry

message 26: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cheveraj) | 4 comments I’m here to introduce you to a multi-layered Jewish family saga, “Gravitational Fields” a “Novel of Peacetime and War”, by Harry Rajchgot. In the beginning, in Poland, the main character, Duvid, is in anguish as he realizes his whole family has been lost to the Nazis, The story then moves to Canada, where he has rebuilt his life. We get to experience the challenges of traumatized newcomers, and the effect on the second generation, and how it informs their decisions in life. It is filled with dramatic scenes along with the ordinary patter of life. But beyond that, the war part of the story takes place in Poland and Israel as through flashbacks we find out , along with Duvid’s sons, just what happened during the wars, and this is amongst the most action-packed part of the story. This book is filled with moments of nostalgia, anger, revenge, friendship, despair, war, peace and certainly through it all, love. The story starts with a love poem comparable to the Song of Songs, and ends…I won’t tell you.
The author is my husband, but I want you to know about it but because it he has written a dense, literate and well-written book that can’t be appreciated unless it is read. It’s now out on Amazon, Kindle format., paper to follow soon.

GRAVITATIONAL FIELDS: A Novel of Peacetime & War

message 27: by Maggie (new)

Maggie Anton | 40 comments It's official. My new nonfiction book, Fifty Shades of Talmud: What the First Rabbis Had to Say about You-Know-What, is coming out March 24 - just in time for Purim.

Amusing. Seductive. Stimulating. We're talking about the Talmud? That's right. Take fifty actual Talmudic discussions, mix in pithy sayings (appropriate and inappropriate) by luminaries from Mae West and Amy Schumer to George Washington and Gandhi, add a few cartoons, and voila—delighted and enlightened readers will come away with a new perspective on what the ancient Jewish sages say about our most intimate relationships.

In this lighthearted, in-depth tour of sexuality within the Talmud, come eavesdrop at the first rabbis' locker-room door as they discuss every aspect of sexual relations—how, when, where, with whom—often in startlingly explicit fashion. Author Maggie Anton reveals how Jewish tradition is more progressive in many respects, and more bawdy, than one might think. The award-winning historical novelist's first foray into nonfiction is likely to leave her fans going OMG, WTF, and even LOL.

Feel free to share this with others. Want to know more? Here's the website.

Fifty Shades of Talmud What the First Rabbis Had to Say about You-Know-What by Maggie Anton

message 28: by Lewis (new)

Lewis Weinstein (lewweinstein) | 42 comments My new novel A FLOOD OF EVIL is now published and available at amazon in both paperback and kindle formats.

ABOUT PRICING … I have priced both the paperback and ebook versions below the current market. This is my way of saying thank you to all my GOODREADS and FACEBOOK friends who have been so encouraging to me as I have gone through the 6 year process of researching and writing this book. These introductory prices will be maintained for a short time, after which the prices will be raised.

ABOUT A FLOOD OF EVIL … A FLOOD OF EVIL is a powerful story of two young people, one a German Catholic and the other a Polish Jew, who are thrown by circumstances into a dangerous effort to try to stop Adolf Hitler’s rise to power. The way they carry out that effort, while also dealing with all the issues of their emerging love, makes for a tense and emotional story. At least that was my intent. Of course when you read A FLOOD OF EVIL, you can make your own conclusion as to whether I succeeded.

message 29: by Barbara (last edited Jun 10, 2016 05:54AM) (new)

Barbara Stark-Nemon (bstarknemon) | 24 comments Mazel Tov, Lewis! I very much look forward to reading A Flood of Evil. I'm particularly interested in the Catholic/Jewish thread and how love enters our lives in unexpected ways, as these are themes in my novel, Even in Darkness, which just won a gold medal (IPPY) for European fiction. Learn more at www.barbarastarknemon.com!

message 30: by Mirta (new)

Mirta Trupp | 62 comments I'm hosting an Amazon giveaway for my Historical Fiction/Fantasy Becoming Malka...a bisel "Fiddler on the Roof", a smidgen "The Wizard of Oz" and a touch of "Sense and Sensibilities" :-)
Easy, clean reading, entertaining and educational.

Click here to enter:https://giveaway.amazon.com/p/f2b9a0f...

message 31: by Lewis (new)

Lewis Weinstein (lewweinstein) | 42 comments Barbara wrote: "Mazel Tov, Lewis! I very much look forward to reading A Flood of Evil. I'm particularly interested in the Catholic/Jewish thread and how love enters our lives in unexpected ways, as these are theme..."

Thanks for your good wishes. The book is written and published. Now I just hope readers will like it.

message 32: by Patrick (new)

Patrick Clark | 13 comments A Red Frost The Descent of the Iron Curtain Tom O'Brien OSS Agent (A Tom O'Brien OSS Agent Novel Book 5) by Patrick Nolan Clark

My new novel is available as a Kindle book now at a discounted price for a limited time. A Red Frost: The Descent of the Iron Curtain is a World War II thriller based on real life operations of the Office of Strategic Services. Although not strictly Jewish historical fiction, it heralds and illuminates the actions of the Bricha and the American Joint Jewish Distribution Committee in helping Jewish refugees flee Eastern Europe and make their way to safety, and eventually to Palestine. The Joint worked hand in hand with the OSS in this effort and are integrated into the story.

The story line is as follows. The war in Europe has ended while the struggle with Japan winds down to a violent conclusion. But OSS Intelligence Officer Tom O'Brien finds himself in a new kind of war: the Cold War. Sent into the Russian zone to hunt down a German nuclear physicist, O'Brien finds he is the one being hunted. Fleeing his old nemesis from the Soviet NKVD, O'Brien drags the scientist and his daughter from Germany into Czechoslovakia. But where does he go from there and how does he get to safety? As the power of the atomic bomb is revealed to the world at Hiroshima, the stakes are raised to new heights and O'Brien has to burrow deeper into Soviet controlled Eastern Europe.