We ♥ Books discussion

Challenges > Fall challenge (9/22-12/31)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 64 (64 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Ester (last edited Sep 18, 2013 08:22AM) (new)

Ester (ester395) | 99 comments Mod
This challenge starts on September 22th and ends on December 31st.

I have tried to pick categories that have something to do with the fall season.

The challenge is to read at least 8 books, one from different categories. Don't forget to rate it and write a short review of it.

The categories are:
1.Creatures and supernatural characters
2.Leaves on the cover
3.An old house playing a large role in the story
4.Halloween
5.Veteran's Day
6.Christmas
7.Teachers' Day
8.Dictionary Day (I am curious what books you guys come up with)
9.September (book that takes place in September, or anything related to it)
10.October
11.November
12.December
13.New Year
14.Winter
15.Snow
16.Food playing a large role in the book
17.School break/vacation
18.Family
19.Books by Neil Gaiman (every challenge will include a new author and Kristi suggested this one for this challenge)
20.Anything you can come up with but it should have something to do with Fall season

Some of the categories are pretty general so you guys have a lot of options. I hope you enjoy this challenge!

message 2: by Sainabou (new)

Sainabou yaye! count me in :)

message 3: by Rebecca (last edited Nov 30, 2013 08:14AM) (new)

Rebecca Yes can't wait! I'm in for sure!8/8
1. Creatures and supernatural characters:So you want to be a Wizard by Diane Duane.10/11/2013*****

3.An old house playing a large roll in the story:Beautiful Chaos by Dami Garcia and Margaret Stohl****10/19/2013

4. Halloween:Veil of Midnight by Lara Adrian*****10/25/2013

5. Veterans Day: The Legend of Deathwalker by David Gemmell 10/6/2013****

7. Teachers Day: The housekeeper and the professor by Yoko Ogawa

9. September: Shift by EM Bailey 11/10/2013***

10.October: Midwife of the Blue Ridge by Christine Blevins 11/22/2013****

14. Winter: Game by Walter Dean Myers*****11/13/2013

15. Snow: Life as we knew it by Susan Beth Pfeffer11/29/2013*****

So You Want to Be a Wizard (Young Wizards, #1) by Diane Duane The Legend of Deathwalker (Drenai Saga, #7) by David Gemmell
Beautiful Chaos (Caster Chronicles, #3) by Kami Garcia Veil of Midnight (Midnight Breed, #5) by Lara Adrian Shift by Em Bailey Midwife of the Blue Ridge by Christine Blevins Life As We Knew It (Last Survivors, #1) by Susan Beth Pfeffer

message 4: by Ericka (new)

Ericka annamarie (annamarielebeau) yayyy can't wait

message 5: by Bajen (last edited Oct 26, 2013 02:15PM) (new)

Bajen This looks exciting! I will definitely give it a try. I will research the different categories and list the books here. Here is mt list for now, it can change though:)

1.Creatures and supernatural characters - The Lord of the Rings

2.Leaves on the cover - To Kill a Mockingbird

4.Halloween - The Shining

5.Veteran's Day - Cold Mountain

6.Christmas - A Christmas Carol

7.Teachers' Day - Matilda 4*

8.Dictionary Day - NW( Cause this day is celebrated in honor of Noah Webster's birthday, his initials just popped up!)

13.New Year - Masquerade

message 6: by Sainabou (new)

Sainabou Count me in
I will need to sort out my books first though

message 7: by Sainabou (last edited Jan 14, 2014 03:00PM) (new)

Sainabou Fall Challenge: 22nd September - 31st December
Progress 8/8

1.Creatures and supernatural characters City of Ashes 01/10/13 ****

2.Leaves on the cover To Kill a Mockingbird 3/01/14 *****

3.An old house playing a large role in the story The Woman in Black 11/01/14 ****

4.Halloween The Witching Hour 29/12/13 *****

6.ChristmasNorth of Beautiful (this book kept coming up in Listopia when i was searching for christmas books) 8/01/14

10.October The Shining 06/11/13 ****

15.Snow Let it Snow 4/01/14 ****

19.Books by Neil Gaiman The Ocean at the End of the Lane 14/01/14 ***

City of Ashes (The Mortal Instruments, #2) by Cassandra Clare To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee The Woman in Black by Susan Hill The Witching Hour (Lives of the Mayfair Witches, #1) by Anne Rice North of Beautiful by Justina Chen The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman Let it Snow by John Green The Shining (The Shining, #1) by Stephen King

message 8: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca How's everyone doing with this challenge? I've read two books for it and am almost finished with a third!

message 9: by Sainabou (new)

Sainabou Hey Rebecca, so far just one book lol because I am trying to finish a challenge that ends at the end of November first since this one has a longer deadline so just one for me so far

Well done you!

message 10: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca I'm actually trying to do 5 challenges at once. 3 monthly's and 2 seasonal but this one is the one that I've read the most books for so far! Good luck with your November challenge. How's school?

message 11: by Sainabou (new)

Sainabou Thank you :)

School is amazing, so glad to be back on that so I am great
What about you?
And Al?

message 12: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca We are well. I am currently taking a few days off from work. Don't faint! I go back on Tuesday, so I'm hoping to do a lot of reading, spending time with Al and visiting of other family that live close.
Glad to hear that you are doing well in school. I got a degree but college and I did not get along too well. I've discovered that I love to learn but I like to learn about what I want to learn about not what other people want me to....I also didn't always make the deadlines for reading at school because of this issue. Oh well to each there own as they say.
Al just got out of bed, he was trying to elevate his legs to keep the swelling down, so I will go spend some time with him. Have a great day!

message 13: by Sainabou (new)

Sainabou Wow! Rebecca off work?! This is something lol, that's awesome though to spend more time with Al plus you need to relax as well :)

message 14: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca How is everyone doing on the challenge? I'm having a great time fitting all my books from another challenge into this one. It looks like after this book I can take it easy a bit. Or maybe I'll see how far I can get in this challenge!

message 15: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca I just finished this challenge! Is anyone out there even participating anymore? I will give up on this group if I don't get a response. This is sad!

message 16: by Sainabou (new)

Sainabou Of course we are
Well I am anyway but I am in uni now and my coursework and exams are more important right now
I am reading my third? Book now
Have five left after that

message 17: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Glad to hear it. I guess I got a bit concerned when no one answered my last message. Glad to hear you're still participating!
How's school going? Well I hope. Work is ok. My grandmother passed away so I took 4 days off last week and got paid for 3 of them. I think that's how I've read so much lately!
Al's doing well! How's John? I see some of the books that you've read recently which one was your favorite? My favorite has to be the one I just finished. It's called Life As We Knew It (Last Survivors, #1) by Susan Beth Pfeffer of course it's the first of a 3 or 4 book series but I really want to read the rest of them now that I finished the first book!
Sorry about the fit but the lack of response in this group is frustrating.
Have a good day!

message 18: by Sainabou (new)

Sainabou Lol it's fine, I might react the same way if it hadn't seen as well but I always seem to reply so I was giving someone a chance, my apology

Uni is stressful, I have loads of coursework to hand in and exams to prepare for so I haven't even been commenting on posts just passing through really
But everything else is fine

My favourite so far in this challenge has to be the one I am reading now, called The Witching Hour, I was going to recommend it to you after I finish because I know you like books like that

And my condolences xx

message 19: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Thank you! Good luck with Uni, as you call it, I will definatly check out that book. You are very good about replying maybe that was another reason why I was a bit put out, but now that I realize how busy you are I'll be more patient. You should be getting a break from Uni in the middle or end of December, maybe we could catch up then! Take care and don't mind me.... I have to remember everyone has different schedules!

message 20: by Sainabou (new)

Sainabou Thank you and yes I hope to be able to complete the challenge by then, I haven't given up hope yet lol and the books on my list seem so nice too

Good luck with everything with you as well but I will try to update here more though

message 21: by Bajen (new)

Bajen Hey ladies!

I am on my second with this challenge. I am pretty hopeless when it comes to completing challenges but I will try harder. I will not finish it on time of course but I will continue reading.

Do not despair Rebecca, GR is used by most of us to come hangout with other bookworms. Schedules can be crazy with school, work, family finding time to read is not always easy for all. I work 6 days a week and most times when I get home I juat want to get into bed and sleep lol.

Lets get more monthly reads and challenges. You will have members like me who get pretty excited choosing the books but reading them all will most likely not happen but at least we try.

message 22: by Bajen (new)

Bajen Hey ladies!

I am on my second with this challenge. I am pretty hopeless when it comes to completing challenges but I will try harder. I will not finish it on time of course but I will continue reading.

Do not despair Rebecca, GR is used by most of us to come hangout with other bookworms. Schedules can be crazy with school, work, family finding time to read is not always easy for all. I work 6 days a week and most times when I get home I juat want to get into bed and sleep lol.

Lets get more monthly reads and challenges. You will have members like me who get pretty excited choosing the books but reading them all will most likely not happen but at least we try.

message 23: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca November was a crazy month for me. I didn't think my grandmother's passing had affected me but I think that it has in more ways than I know. I think it renewed the feeling in me that you never know what will happen tomorrow so if you're going to be a part of something you should really try to be there. I don't know if that makes any sense at all but I just feel if I'm a member of this group I should take part in it as much as possible. It also seems to me that many people that are a part of this group are, maybe, sitting in the background, instead of participating. It's a bit sad really. I don't always have the time either I usually work around 40-45 hours a week, which gets me frustrated too, that I made the effort but others are staying in the background.
I do hear what you're saying Bajen, you work hard, sometimes you don't have time to read much. That happens to me a lot! There are plenty of nights that I barely read 4 pages but I still try to see what's up on the GR site and in particular this group.
I am definatly up for more monthly reads and challenges I can't always finish a challenge either but I try too. I find the quarterly ones a bit more realistic. I still sign up for the monthly challenges but I don't always finish.
Well I guess if nothing else I got some of us communicating again.

message 24: by Bajen (new)

Bajen It is always hard when we lose a relative or anybody else. It takes a toll on your life.

We cannot tell people what to do in GR, we can only hope that they participate but we cannot force them to. Moderating a group is a lot of work, that needs a lot of time, energy and creativity. Maybe if we got other moderators to help out it would help. I know one of my other groups got someone new with more time on her hands to shake the group up a bit and it is more interactive now.

But like you said at least we are talking about it:)

message 25: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Bajen I understand that we cannot tell people what to do I was only expressing my feelings at the time. I like this group, however it has been a bit frustrating.
Now that we are talking about things maybe an additional moderator would be helpful. I don't believe that I have the time to do this although it sounds interesting. Hopefully someone would be interested and have the time to be able to be online for a few hours every day.
Nice to talk with you Bajen! I hope you have a good day at work as will I!!!

message 26: by Bajen (new)

Bajen uh....okay:) Right back at you girl. Nice talking to you too.

message 27: by Sainabou (new)

Sainabou Hey ladies
Nice to see a little interaction
I won't have the time either, not these days especially but it's a good idea to have another moderator

Have a good day everyone :)

message 28: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Bajen wrote: "uh....okay:) Right back at you girl. Nice talking to you too."
I know it may sound crazy but I really do enjoy my job! I hope you do also.

message 29: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca M1ssb3rry wrote: "Hey ladies
Nice to see a little interaction
I won't have the time either, not these days especially but it's a good idea to have another moderator

Have a good day everyone :)"

Thanks Missberry. Good to hear from you if only quickly! Have a great day!

message 30: by Sainabou (new)

Sainabou Thanks Rebecca :)

message 31: by Bajen (new)

Bajen I do enjoy my job most times lol. it is crazy and all but its good. I also enjoy my reading and GR and all the groups I join help me meet new people and new reads:)

message 32: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Hey everyone! How's the day treating you so far? Cool and grey here in Massachusetts. What's everyone up to today? I'm working, of course, and hopefully picking up a book or two at the library! I hope everyone has a great day!

message 33: by Sainabou (new)

Sainabou Hi Rebecca
I am currently at macdonalds having a meal with my friends, we are on a break right now
So after that I will be going back to lesson for two hours an then home so quite a long day
But I will be reading my book on the way home hopefully
Everything alright with you??

message 34: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Hi Missb3rry-
All is well here just finished putting lunch in the crock pot then I will take my vitamins, change and go to work! Al is well. Of course he's fine now he's fast asleep!!!lol!
I've been trying to read books on my Kobo, as my library books have not come in yet, unfortunately I didn't figure out any books on my kobo for my challenges so this is putting me behind a bit for those but.... at least I'm reading something.
Two hour lesson, wow that only happens in the states when you have a science class, or the class meets once a week. Good luck and have a good lesson.

message 35: by Sainabou (new)

Sainabou Aww I'm glad he is okay :)
Yeah it's a lesson on using Microsoft excel and access and the course is accounting, we even have three hour lessons so it's a very intense course but I do love it very much

I am so jealous lol I wish I could read more now but I hav exams and stuff, it's a mess but I will get my holiday very soon and then I can read to my hearts content

message 36: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Hi all! How's everyone doing today? Day off for me and I'm up and awake at 7 a.m.! Al has a doctors appointment at 9:40 a.m. and if I don't wake up a bit before getting him up it doesn't work. After the doctors I do believe that we will come home so that I can take a nap! This afternoon I should do some laundry doesn't it all sound sooo exciting! Hope everyone has a great day!

message 37: by Sainabou (new)

Sainabou 7am?! On a day off? You will have to pull me off that bed, superwoman you are :)

I have day off today as well and I am reading right now but I will have to stop soon because I have some revision to do for my exam next week! Atleast it will be over by next week, I can't wait

message 38: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Wow exam's already! It seems like you just started classes. Oh wait it is December and you probably started in September....where does the time go? I barely seem to remember anything about the fall. Oh well I know I read lots of good books. Good luck on your exams! Try to enjoy some of your day off!

message 39: by Sainabou (new)

Sainabou I know! Time went by so far I can't understand it but I will work hard and get this out of the way and then I will have all the free time I need till jan 14 when we reopen lol

That's awesome! How challenges are you on right now?

message 40: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca I am currently working on 4 challenges. I'm glad you asked because I thought that the book that I'm reading was good for 3 of them but it turns out it's only good for 1. I've only just started it but it seems like a quick read so hopefully I'll get through it and be able to move onto a book that works out for more of my challenges! Sometimes I think that these challenges are keeping me saine and sometimes I think that they are making me insaine! Oh well it's all in good fun!

message 41: by Sainabou (new)

Sainabou Hahha! They definitely make me insane, I am constantly thinking of how to read less books by using them for different challenges and then wanting to read more, it's crazy! And very time I promise myself no more challenges but it's like I can't help it
I am working on two right now :( lol

message 42: by Bajen (new)

Bajen Hello ladies!

Please do not talk about challenges lol. I am working on two and they both ended this month and I am still not done with either. Thank God I like the books I selected for them so I will keep reading them.

message 43: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Mornin' everyone! I have very little time today. Have to get lunch cooking, get ready for work, and call my mom. Then I get to work a double close. Oh well I'll get to sleep at some point in my life! Keep up the good work on the challenges ladies. I usually try to get the books I picked for the challenges that are finishing to fit in the new challenges that I pick up later in the month. Have a great day!

message 44: by Sainabou (new)

Sainabou That is actually a very good idea
That could work
Bajen try that as well or we could just participate in less challenges lol! Me and you hahah

So I am on my way home from uni right now, I finished at 2 but I was helping out some of my friends with their coursework that I have finished and now I will be going home and doing a little revision if I can or I might just sleep a I am really tired :)

message 45: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Hi all! How's everyone doing? I've been busy the last few days, working, dealing with some snow, only a dusting but I told 4 ladies in the complex that we live in that I would clean there cars off when it snows and of course spending time with Al! I've started reading a non-fiction book about India. I'm not sure if I like it or not yet but I do believe that I am learning quite a bit about the country. When I went to college they had history classes on the U.S., Europe and South America but nothing about the middle east or Africa or India! I hope everyone is well. Have a good day!

message 46: by Sainabou (new)

Sainabou Oh wow that's really nice of you Rebecca, it always makes me really happy when people help out the older folks so good
And have you got holidays and stuff??

So my exams are over now! So I can get back to this challenge finally so glad, revision is such a drag gosh

And how is Al?

message 47: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Al is ok. In the cold weather his skin dries out and then it can crack which can lead to infection. It's always something! I try to get him to use more lotion and stay in bed with his legs up more but he gets bored. I don't blame him!
The holidays! Wow! We are actually hosting Christmas dinner. Our apartment is small, only really big enough for 3 maybe 4 people at a time so we rented the community room on our property. It has a full working kitchen and plenty of room for the whole family! So we will be cooking for 10 people on Christmas! I can't wait!
Glad to hear that the exams are over. I hope you did well. What are you doing for the holidays? Do you get to go home or do you go to a friends house? I'm having so many people over here that I would invite you to our Christmas but it may be a longer trip than going home! Good luck with all the challenges. I'm still working on 2 myself. I don't think that I will finish the fall challenge that I'm working on but I've been doing ok with the monthly challenges. Take care and have a great day!

message 48: by Sainabou (new)

Sainabou Oh wow that sounds so hectic
Good luck that though
You will enjoy it but it will be very tiring
Aww thank you anyway
I will be going to Gambia in the holiday! So I will meet Bajen finally so I am looking forward to that
I will be flying out on Saturday for a month there so that's something I am really looking forward to now that my exams are done, and yeah Isis really well in them :)

Well happy holidays and good luck with the challenges

message 49: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Happy Holidays and have a good trip! I hope you have a wonderful time! Have fun with Bajen!
As to me christmas will be tiring but I have some other time off for the new year. I get the 24th and the 25th off and Al's birthday is on the 26th and he always wants me home for that day. I am also taking Dec.31st - Jan.5th off so I will get to rest some too.

message 50: by Sainabou (new)

Sainabou Oh that's good to know
You work too much honestly lol good to be able to able to rest and recharge

« previous 1