Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Lorraine's August Reads

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brakedrum (new)

Brakedrum | 1203 comments Standing in the Rainbow by Fannie Flagg (f)
Elmwood Springs, Missouri, a small town where everyone knows everybody. The story runs
from 1946 to 2000, with all the town's characters growing with changes in their lives.
A humorous book and uplifting read.

The Purple Gang, Organized Crime in Detroit 1910-1945 (nf)
by Paul R. Kavieff
When I was around 9 years old, I had asked by grandfather if there gangster in Detroit. He told me about
the Purple Gang. Recently, I found this book
The Purple Gang comprised of Detroit youth that began with hijacking bootleggers returning from
Canada with whiskey during Prohibition. They branched into kidnapping, arson, murder and
racketeering. Only one member was still alive in 2000.
From a verse from the song "Jailhouse Rock"
"Spider Murphy played the tenor sax-o-phone
Little Joe was blowin' on the slide trombone
The drummer boy from Illinois went crash, boom, bang
The whole rhythm section was the Purple Gang."

Will Rogers Says (nf)
Edited by Reba Collins
A small collection of Roger's quotes from writings and excerpts from his speeches.
A light, entertaining read, especially after visiting his museum and burial site in Claremore, Oklahoma
a few years ago.

Not a lot of reading for me this month. Hubby, Fred, was in the hospital for surgery on August 13 and was there until the 20th. I couldn't concentrate much, lucky just to get through the newspaper. He's home now and improving little by little.

message 2: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14293 comments Glad to hear from you here on GR, Lorraine, and to hear that Fred is improving after the surgery; it is understandable that you couldn't concentrate on reading while he was in the hospital for so long. I hope his appetite continues to improve and he gets his strength back.
As for your books, humorous and uplifting and non-fiction seems a good way to go for the month!

message 3: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3598 comments Sorry to hear about Fred, but glad he's getting better. Good thoughts for both of you.

message 4: by Amy (new)

Amy | 1342 comments I hope Fred feels better soon.

message 5: by Dan in AZ (new)

Dan in AZ | 2628 comments Good to hear that Fred tolerated the surgery in good shape.

message 6: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 2964 comments Hope things get steadily better.

message 7: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3590 comments hope fred continues to get better.

message 8: by Susie (new)

Susie Fevella (susieinks) | 1606 comments I hope Fred gets better soon too!

message 9: by Marcy (new)

Marcy | 865 comments Thinking of you and Fred and hoping he continues to improve!

message 10: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7808 comments Lorraine, sorry to hear Fred was ill; hope he is recovering nicely from the surgery. You guys have been through so much!