Robert McCammon discussion

Gone South
This topic is about Gone South
Group Read Discussions > September Group Read-Gone South

Comments Showing 1-50 of 100 (100 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Char (last edited Sep 03, 2013 05:59AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Char Gone South has won the poll for our September group read! The read starts tomorrow Monday, September 3rd, right here in this very thread. Hope to see you here!

Please post your chapter and page and then spoiler tag your posts. This way nothing will be ruined for anyone who hasn't yet reached that point.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

:waves: I'll still be reading Stinger. :)

Pamellia (michiganparents) | 109 comments Yea! I have this one.

OK, this procedure is going to be difficult for me, but I shall try. I'm sure it will work out...you may slap my hand if I start spoiling the discussion with my spoilers!!! LOL

message 4: by Char (last edited Sep 03, 2013 08:03AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Char Hi, Clayton! I hope you're still enjoying Stinger!

Pam, here are directions to make spoiler tags.
type <>
then type spoiler in the middle of the brackets. Anything you type after that will be hidden.

When you are done typing, type the brackets again with /spoiler inside the brackets.

If you click on some html is ok, above the box where you type, it shows you there as well. :)

Pamellia (michiganparents) | 109 comments I totally misunderstood your previous post. Not sure what's going on with my mind or brain. I will not waste time on explaining to you what I thought the first post was all about. Yes, I have seen and/or used spoiler and brackets before. Just like bold, yea! thanks Charlene!!

Algernon (Darth Anyan) | 17 comments good, I have the book but I have afew others projects under way. , I hope to clear the deck for it later this month

Char Great, Algernon! It will be nice to have you. :)

Char Pamellia wrote: "I totally misunderstood your previous post. Not sure what's going on with my mind or brain. I will not waste time on explaining to you what I thought the first post was all about. Yes, I have se..."

Exactly! Just like bold. :)

Randolph (us227381) I read this not too long ago but I'll follow along. You won't be disappointed, I think it is better than Stinger.

Char Seriously? Those are strong words, Randolph.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

About ten years ago, I listened to an abridged audiobook of Gone South, and it was a great story. I'm going to read it one of these days.

Randolph (us227381) Charlene wrote: "Seriously? Those are strong words, Randolph."

I think it is maybe a lot less of a monster fest but a deeper novel. Still lots of creeps.

Char Understood!
I have to say that I am high right now on the creature features. Tim Curran's Worm and Sow were both a blast. I read one of Weston Ochse (sp?) books about Maggots. Soto's novellla Mosquitos, and one of Willie Meikle's crab stories.
I'm not sure what's gotten into me, maybe I'm a bit nostalgic for those 70s b movies?

Char Clayton, I'll be checking in on you. :)

message 15: by Larry (last edited Sep 04, 2013 04:38PM) (new)

Larry | 10 comments I've tried to get into some of these group reads on various groups here at Goodreads but I find it frustrating. Usually it's "I really enjoyed it" "It was slow at the beginning but it picked up" "I liked the cover".....Very little actual discussion about the book itself. Maybe this one will suprise me.

Char Larry, it's my first group read here, so I will try to check in often and comment. If you do the same, hopefully a few others will as well, and we'll have ourselves a good time. :)

Pamellia (michiganparents) | 109 comments Larry, I know exactly what you mean. Thank goodness we have a good leader right now and several interesting folks...;-)

Char Aww thanks, Pam. :)

Pamellia (michiganparents) | 109 comments Charlene wrote: "Aww thanks, Pam. :)"

You be so welcome!

Char I hope to start this over the weekend. I will be going a little slowly because I have prior commitments elsewhere for group reads as well.

message 21: by Pamellia (last edited Sep 05, 2013 07:35AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Pamellia (michiganparents) | 109 comments Had a procedure done today and think I will read this one during this day's recovery. Just can't stay focused on Dead Sea...it's a good book and all, but I think, now that I've discovered McCammon...well, it's like a new love affair and I want to take advantage of these first few dates (oops! books) before it becomes boring to me. Can I get a LOL or should it be Can I get an LOL?? I'm not sure, but I think the grammar rule is "a", however I think "an" sounds better...opinions?

Hunter (goathunter) | 154 comments Mod
Since it's pronounced "el-oh-el", it would be "an LOL". 8-) (Yeah, I've heard people pronounce it as "lawl". They're wrong. ;-))

Ever since I discovered McCammon, almost all authors have paled in comparison....

Hunter

Pamellia (michiganparents) | 109 comments Hunter wrote: "Since it's pronounced "el-oh-el", it would be "an LOL". 8-) (Yeah, I've heard people pronounce it as "lawl". They're wrong. ;-))

Ever since I discovered McCammon, almost all authors have paled in ..."

Hunter, thanks for the clarification! ~ P

Char Hunter, it's true. :)

Joanne Moyer (catwoman56) | 101 comments Randolph wrote: "I read this not too long ago but I'll follow along. You won't be disappointed, I think it is better than Stinger."

coming off the high of Stinger that's hard to imagine .... but I did read Gone South many years ago and it's one of my favorites ...

Char But, do you remember it? That is the question? :)

message 27: by Larry (new)

Larry | 10 comments I too read it ages ago. Don't remember much. The tough part is going to be finding a copy. I'm hoping there is one in our used book store. Funny thing I read every thing he published and I remember Mine, Stinger, Swan Song but I don't remember this one.

Char Boy, Larry, you fit right in with us. Joanne and I both have been rereading a lot of the older ones. Kimberly too. We're all pretty sure we've read them before, but none of us remembers much.

message 29: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 99 comments Charlene wrote: "Boy, Larry, you fit right in with us. Joanne and I both have been rereading a lot of the older ones. Kimberly too. We're all pretty sure we've read them before, but none of us remembers much."

Too true!!

Pamellia (michiganparents) | 109 comments I may take a break and just read McCammon for a few weeks. But I am starting to sort of get into Dead Sea, still just at 22%...thought I could read yesterday, but no, could not. I'm reading this next! ;-)

Joanne Moyer (catwoman56) | 101 comments Charlene wrote: "But, do you remember it? That is the question? :)"

LOL I think you already know the answer to that

Char You know I do. :)

message 33: by Larry (new)

Larry | 10 comments Dropped into the bookstore today....I figured the odds of finding Gone South was about 1 in a 100. However there is was....one of only 3 McCammon books on the shelf. The other two were the Corbett series.

Char Sweet, Larry. It's almost as if it were meant to be. :)

Pamellia (michiganparents) | 109 comments Aw, Larry, you are blest!

Char I just read the intro to this. Do you guys have it in your copies?
He always comes across as so humble to me. I'm so glad he came back to writing.

Algernon (Darth Anyan) | 17 comments Yes, I started the book a couple of days ago, and the first thing to draw my attention is the intro, where he explains his disillusionment with the publishing industry that tried to force him to write comercially popular horror and ignored his best book (Boy's Life). A parallel with actors who get typecast after a succesful role is appropriate to what he went through, and I can't help but cheer for the rise of the electronic book format and self-publishing that offer writers an alternative to the iron rule of the traditional publishing houses. I know of a writer who neither can get his third book in a trilogy published, nor get released to go to a different house (Paul Kearney).

Pamellia (michiganparents) | 109 comments I did read the intro. Gotta love Bob!!

Char That's a terrible situation to be in, Algernon. I hope your friend finds some way out.

I am a fan of independent authors, but to be honest, there is a lot of junk out there. We can only hope that those with talent find the audiences they need to continue their writing.

message 40: by Larry (new)

Larry | 10 comments I got an old paperback so I haven't read the intro. I feel that McCammon has been a little uptight about his books and career. Hasn't he denied the publishing rights to his older books? As I mentioned they are extremely hard to find in paperback form these days. I've just started rereading the book and while it might not be "War and Peace" it's a well written, tight book and has been so far an enjoyable read. I see this and even writers such as Stephen King going back and changing some of the stuff he wrote decades ago. I think Ray Brabury had it right when he commented on why he didn't rewrite Fahrenheit 451 "I respect the young man that wrote those words."

message 41: by Char (last edited Sep 10, 2013 12:17PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Char As far as I know his older books are all available as e-books, except for Speaks the Nightbird. His problem with publishing goes back to the time when he wanted to write something other than horror. Which he goes into in detail in this introduction. You can read it by "looking inside" the book at Amazon's site here:
http://www.amazon.com/Gone-South-eboo...

Char I am at about 5% of the book.

(view spoiler)

message 43: by Hunter (last edited Sep 10, 2013 04:11PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Hunter (goathunter) | 154 comments Mod
If your copy of Gone South doesn't include the 2008 foreword, you can read it on the McCammon website:

Robert McCammon: Why I Wrote Gone South

All of Robert McCammon's novels are available as ebooks, including Speaks the Nightbird on October 8! Even if he hadn't chosen to not let paperbacks of his first four books (and yes, it was only reprints of the first four that he turned down 15 years ago) be reprinted back in 1998, it's doubtful they'd still be in print now anyway, just as MINE, Stinger, and others are no longer in print (lack of publisher interest).

Hunter

Char Thanks, Hunter. It's nice to have someone who knows stuff here. :)

message 45: by Joanne (last edited Sep 10, 2013 08:37PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Joanne Moyer (catwoman56) | 101 comments the thing that makes me crazy about that whole publishng issue is Mr M was told people only want horror from him and that a book
like Boys Life won't sell but ask any fan what their favorite book is and what's usually the answer.... Boys Life
the man can write pretty much anything...just let him do it

that's my rant for today ....

message 46: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 99 comments Thanks for the info, Hunter! Ironically, my pb of SPEAKS THE NIGHTBIRD, just arrived last week. (I figured since it was the only one NOT on kindle, I'd better grab a copy from somewhere! LOL)

Joanne--rant away!! I am in complete agreement with you!

Joanne Moyer (catwoman56) | 101 comments thanks Kim apparantly I was so riled up I made numerous spelling errors that I have now fixed :)

also ~ Gone South ~ quite amusing at times

message 48: by Algernon (Darth Anyan) (last edited Sep 11, 2013 08:21AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Algernon (Darth Anyan) | 17 comments The bounty hunters are a laugh a minute comedy duo, at least in the beginning. Later on both of them are given depth and become more sympathetic.
(view spoiler)

Pamellia (michiganparents) | 109 comments Joanne wrote: "the thing that makes me crazy about that whole publishng issue is Mr M was told people only want horror from him and that a book
like Boys Life won't sell but ask any fan what their favorite book i..."

you go, girl!

message 50: by Char (last edited Sep 11, 2013 10:52AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Char I ask that posters could first note their percentage or page number, then put their comments between spoiler tags. This way nothing is spoiled for anyone who hasn't got there yet.
For example:

I'm at 5% and (view spoiler).

Directions on how to post spoiler tags are just above the box in which you type (some html is ok).

Thanks! I haven't gotten to that point, but I hope to later today.

« previous 1