Tudor Book Blog Book Club discussion

Welcome! Introduce Yourself Here!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 67 (67 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Tudor Book Blog (last edited Sep 02, 2013 06:10PM) (new)

Tudor Book Blog (thetudorbookblog) | 108 comments Mod
Welcome to the Tudor Book Blog Book Club! I am Elizabeth, creator of The Tudor Book Blog and moderator of this group. I'd love to get to know all of the members a little better. Please share a little about yourself:

How did you become interested in Tudor History?
What is your favorite Tudor book (either fiction or non-fiction...or both!)?
What types of books would you like to read and discuss here?

message 2: by Eva (new)

Eva Hi, this is Eva (evaevaeva923). I began my love of Tudor History watching the old (70's) BBC series Henry VIII. I was obsessed with that series and still watch it.
Favorite Tudor would be extremely difficult as there are so many and I find more everyday. Right now, I'm interested in finding more information about the lesser known Tudors.
I am a huge lover of historical fiction, but enjoy non-fiction as well. Always up to try something new and different.
So excited that you are on Goodreads. Hugs

Hi Eva! Welcome to the group! I am so excited to have you join! :)

message 4: by Christine (new)

Christine Black | 17 comments I've always been interested in the Tudors and I'm glad to see a resurgence in the popularity of the subject.

Not sure I can choose a favourite book of the Tudors. I've read many about Henry VIII and his wives, and Elizabeth I. Lately I'm drawn to Henry VII and his court. I also enjoy reading about the war of the roses and I'm gaining more knowledge on the topic.

I enjoy historical fiction as long as it's not bogged down with facts and figures. I like a plot/character driven story. Looking forward to the group chat. :)

message 5: by Helene (new)

Helene Harrison (tudorblogger) | 5 comments I'm Helene and I'm just finishing my History Masters degree with my dissertation entitled 'The Many Faces of Anne Boleyn: Perceptions in History, Literature and Film'.
I developed my love of history from an inspiring high school teacher, and my love of the Tudors just came from reading. A LOT.
My favourite Tudor books are both fiction and non-fiction, probably 'Bring Up the Bodies' by Hilary Mantel and 'The Other Boleyn Girl' by Philippa Gregory fiction-wise with 'The Life and Death of Anne Boleyn' by Eric Ives and 'The Sisters Who Would Be Queen' by Leanda de Lisle for non-fiction.
I look forward to sharing my thoughts :)

message 6: by Gabrielle (new)

Gabrielle Blin (cherrychantilly) | 1 comments Hello!
My name is Gabrielle,I am french and I love history.I love all about the Tudor dynasty.

Welcome, Helene! I am about to begin my 2nd Masters (this time in History, yay!), and would love to write a thesis/dissertation on Anne Boleyn (or anything Tudor-related for that matter)!

Looking forward to you sharing your knowledge and thoughts!

Welcome, Gabrielle! So glad to see you joined the Book Club! :)

message 9: by Paula (new)

Paula (paulakrapf) | 74 comments Hello, my name is Paula. Wolf Hall got me started; when I heard someone wrote about Thomas Cromwell I was intrigued. And that book got me thinking about the Reformation, Henry VIII, Anne Boleyn and all the "facts" I'd heard. I wanted to learn more.

I read both fiction and nonfiction related to the era. What a fascinating time, and really, I can't think of more entertaining reading.

I can't have a favorite book. It's impossible! I've enjoyed the books I've read so far. Some that come to mind are The Creation of Anne Boleyn: A New Look at England's Most Notorious Queen by Susan Bordo; The Divorce of Henry VIII: The Untold Story from Inside the Vatican by Catherine Fletcher; Mary Tudor: Princess, Bastard, Queen by Anna Whitelock; The Tudors: The Complete Story of England's Most Notorious Dynasty by G.J. Meyer; anything by Jean Plaidy, Eric Ives, Alison Weir, and Hilary Mantel.

message 10: by Tudor Book Blog (new)

Welcome, Paula! I have not read Wolf Hall, but have been dying to! I'm glad you enjoyed it, and happy you joined us here.

message 11: by Nannette (new)

Nannette My name is Nannette. I live in PA and am mom to two 20 yr olds who also love history.

When I was 8 yrs old, my mother mentioned an English king who had six (SIX!) wives. I asked so many questions you found me a copy of Henry VIII by Francis Hackett. I still have it.

I prefer non-fiction. I will read non-fiction but it has to be at least half way plausible.

I would love to read and discuss anything to do with Tudor or Plantagent history. I am looking forward to the new Dan Jones book which picks up with Henry IV and continues through the Tudors.

message 12: by Tudor Book Blog (new)

Welcome, Nannette! So happy to have you here!

I prefer non-fiction as well. It's the historian in me. However, there are quite a few good Tudor novels out there. Hopefully we can scrounge some up here!

message 13: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (juicyjackie) | 4 comments I'm a bit odd as I haven't read any Tudor books but would love to add these to my reading bucket list. As I've gotten older I've started to appreciate history more and more and I'm more drawn to Tudor history than any other. Happy to take any recommendations to dip my toe in!

message 14: by Christina (new)

Christina (ladychristina) Hi, I am Christina - I became interested in Tudor Times from watching the Tudors and by reading Philippa Gregory (don't worry, I know they were both fiction!). But it inspired me to read up and learn about these fascinating people and I cannot wait to learn and share more... To that, I would love to read anything and everything related!
Thanks for creating this fun group... :)

message 15: by Tudor Book Blog (last edited Sep 03, 2013 10:31AM) (new)

Hi Jackie! I am so glad you are interested in reading books from the Tudor genre. There are so many to choose from! I would suggest starting with Antonia Fraser's The Six Wives of Henry VIII (it was one of the first I read), and maybe David Starkey's Elizabeth: Struggle for the Throne. Those will give you a good overview of some of the Tudor period.

For more in depth information, try Eric Ives' The Life and Death of Anne Boleyn (best bio on her) and Alison Weir's Henry VIII: King and Court (lots of goodies on Henry's palaces, parties, and court).

I'd also suggest Alison Weir and Jean Plaidy for fiction. Both are very well researched and great writers!

I'm sure others here have some good suggestions too!

message 16: by Tudor Book Blog (last edited Sep 03, 2013 10:34AM) (new)

Welcome, Christina! I'm so glad you have been inspired to read more about the historical persons behind the Gregory's novels and 'The Tudors' -- both of which I really enjoyed too!

I'm sure some great books will pop up here. Glad you joined us!

message 17: by Tammy (new)

Tammy | 2 comments Hi Elizabeth,
I am excited about this blog to learn more Tudor history! I began reading about it with Philippa Gregory. I have enjoyed her books and they have been a launching pad to further my interest. Right now I am reading C. J. Sanson. The Matthew Shardlake series. Love them! I also enjoy C. W. Gortner. There are so many books...and so little time! Thanks, Tammy

message 18: by Tudor Book Blog (new)

Hi Tammy, and welcome! I have read the first novel in C.J. Samson's Matthew Shardlake Series and really enjoyed it! Murder mysteries and the Tudors...a winning combination! :)

message 19: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Bonilla | 4 comments Hello! I'm Kathy and was first introduced to the Tudors by the movie Lady Jane. After trying to learn more about Lady Jane Grey, I fell in love with Anne Boleyn and can't seem to learn enough about all things Tudor. I love to read all things Tudor, including historical fiction, and a, a HUGE fan of Le Temps Viendra by Sarah Morris.

message 20: by Tudor Book Blog (new)

Welcome, Kathy! I watched Lady Jane a long time ago, and loved it. Jane often gets forgotten about when the Tudors get discussed, so I'm glad she sparked your interest in the period!

message 21: by Erica (new)

Erica Jordan | 2 comments Good Morning! I'm Erica, and I am so excited to connect with others who share my love of history, especially Tudor history! I have been obsessed with this subject for so long I can't tell you what first caught my interest. History has been my thing because of my Daddy...he got me interested in any kind of history when I was very young, and my interests grew from there. Can't wait to share thoughts and insights with everyone out there. Have a beautiful day, all!

message 22: by Nellie (new)

Nellie Bodhaine (NellieB) | 1 comments Hello! I am Nicole and I am a Tudor a holic! I am obsessed with History, British history specifically. From the very beginning, it is all interesting to me, but I was caught in Henry's web reading my first Tudor book, The Children of Henry v111. It wet my appetite but left me wanting. I began rabidly consuming all information Tudor, and naturally then found myself going back, back, back. Tracing and trying to make sense of the British Monarchy. This is where I found my first, and most favored Lady Monarch, Eleanor of Acquitaine! Needless to say I am a hopeless case. Now I can rattle off so many obscure facts, and branches of family trees I amaze myself! And I love those crazy Tudors. I obsess and hoard information and Tudor Dynasty books like they were shoes. I am so happy to find like minded individuals to share with!

message 23: by Tudor Book Blog (new)

Good morning, Erica! So glad you joined us. I have had an obsession with history since childhood, too. When I was young, my mom would take me to the library every Saturday. I bypassed the children's section and went straight for the bio/history section every time!

Looking forward to reading your thoughts and insights!

message 24: by Tudor Book Blog (new)

Hi Nicole! So glad to see you here! I am obsessed with British History too, and have recently been reading a bit about Charles II and his mistresses. VERY interesting! Another King with an heir problem. Can't wait to hear all of your 'obscure facts' -- as I have quite a few of my own, too!

message 25: by Christine7910 (new)

Christine7910 | 1 comments I have always loved the Viking/Medieval period. In some ways I wish I could have lived back then. I have been working on my Ancestry since about 1996 and have found that I am a descendant of 2 big noble families back in King Henry VI's time. The Percy and Neville.

I don't know what pulls my interest so much to the Tudor, but I love reading about them and learning.

I look forward to discussing The Tudors and getting others in take on them.

message 26: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (mosthappyreader) So thrilled to see a book club in conjunction with the Tudor Book Blog. I have truly enjoyed participating in the challenge this year.

My love for the Tudors began at some point in childhood... I was fascinated by all the wives which lead to further reading and research on the period and developed into a true passion for all things Tudor (architecture, politics, propaganda, the rise of women, etc...) which has only grown in intensity as I moved into Master's level study. It is such a fascinating time period... I cannot get enough of it!!
I have a blog: The Most Happy Reader @ http://themosthappyreader.blogspot.com where I review mostly Tudor HF but other periods as well.

Looking forward to this group!!

message 27: by Tudor Book Blog (new)

Hi Christine, and welcome! I always find ancestry fascinating. Unfortunately, my family has only traced it's lineage back to the mid 1700's. Maybe one day I will find a Tudor connection ;)

message 28: by Tudor Book Blog (new)

Welcome, Shannon! So glad you have decided to join us here as well! I've really enjoyed your reviews on the Reading Challenge, and can't wait to see what other Tudor books you decide to tackle!

message 29: by Susan (new)

Susan | 1 comments Hello, I am Susan and a total Anglophile. All that started many years ago when I saw "The Six Wives of Henry VIII". I was hooked and have been ever since for all things Tudor and subsequently all things England! Now retired, I am able to read all the more and always want to see more Tudor related books. I very much look forward to being part of this group.

message 30: by Val (new)

Val Hello everyone, I'm Val. I am interested in history and enjoy both non-fiction books and well researched historical fiction.
My favourite book set in Tudor times is "Wolf Hall", but my interest was first aroused by reading Jean Plaidy at school.
I don't have a favourite Tudor, they were not a particularly likeable bunch in my opinion, but they are very interesting because of the great changes that took place during their reigns and because they were (mostly) powerful individuals, as monarchs and personalities.

message 31: by Helen (new)

Helen (helenbay) Hi I'm Helen and admit to not having been particularly interested in history until I discovered Hilary Mantel and the Tudors. Now I can't get enough! Bring on more about this fascinating and important time - I want to know all there is!

message 32: by Susan (last edited Sep 08, 2013 12:22PM) (new)

Susan Hi everyone. I first became interested in the Tudors through reading The Other Boleyn Girl many years ago. Love fiction and non fiction - have read a lot but know very little! Looking forward to joining in with the group reads.

message 33: by Tudor Book Blog (new)

Hi Susan! I really enjoyed The Six Wives of Henry VIII! Though it's a bit outdated looking now, the script, costumes, and acting were great! I'd love to see them remake it.

So glad you joined us, and can't wait to hear your thoughts!

message 34: by Tudor Book Blog (new)

Hi Helen! I just finally got around to getting a copy of Wolf Hall, and can't wait to get into it! I also have a weak spot for The Tudors! I can't help it, but I love that show!!!

So glad your interest was sparked and you have joined us!

message 35: by Tudor Book Blog (new)

Hi Val! I love Jean Plaidy. One of the first Tudor novels I read was "Lady in the Tower." She was an excellent author period, but especially with her attention to historical research and detail!

Glad you've joined us!

message 36: by Tudor Book Blog (new)

Hi Susan, and welcome! I actually really enjoyed The Other Boleyn Girl and am interested to read more of Philippa Gregory's novels.

Glad to have you here!

message 37: by Val (new)

Val Tudor Book Blog wrote: "Hi Val! I love Jean Plaidy. One of the first Tudor novels I read was "Lady in the Tower." She was an excellent author period, but especially with her attention to historical research and detail!"

Yes, she could bring a historical period alive and make it fun to learn about that time. There were a few other authors around at the time who did the same, but she is the one I remember for Medieval England.

message 38: by [deleted user] (new)

Hello group. My name is Trish and I've been a tudorphile for 40 years. The summer I got married I started watching the BBC series Six wives of Henry VIII. I HAD to be home by 8:00 on Sunday because there weren't any vcr's back then. To my knowledge there weren't many tudorphiles out there. Since then I've read every book on the Tudors I can get my hands on.

message 39: by Tudor Book Blog (new)

Hi Trish, so glad to see you here! I can't wait to see what knowledge you share with us with all of your extensive reading :)

message 40: by [deleted user] (new)

Glad to be here. I can't wait to get into discussions with other tudorphiles.

message 41: by Nina-Alexa (new)

Nina-Alexa (murielorme) | 10 comments Joined to be in contact with other people who like history. Hope i'll learn something here :)

message 42: by Tudor Book Blog (new)

Welcome, Patricia! We are happy to have you :)

message 43: by Tudor Book Blog (new)

Hi Nina! I'm sure you and the rest of us will learn some fascinating history here! Glad to have you!

message 44: by Jaclyn (new)

Jaclyn | 10 comments Hi, I'm Jaclyn and I'm pretty amazed I didn't get hooked on the Tudor period much earlier, like during high school, because I've always had an interest in British history and writers (not to mention actors). The Tudors television series absolutely blew me away. Its funny because only a few years earlier I had seen "The Other Boleyn Girl" and my reaction to that film was completely different - I barely remember it.
My favorite tudor book is the first one I read -- Brief Gaudy Hour by Margaret Campbell Barnes. I've found that I enjoy the fiction more, but I also like non-fiction.

message 45: by Carleen (new)

Carleen (nativemom2) | 1 comments Hi, Carleen here. I only recently became interested. I watched the Elizabeth movies and now started watching The Tudors series. I've always been interested in the history of kings and queens.

message 46: by Deborah (new)

Deborah | 13 comments Hi, my name is Debbie. I read my first Tudor related book one summer back in the 60's. The title was Tudor Rose and it was about Elizabeth I. That summer I read every book on the library shelf about the Tudors. It was quite a limited selection as I live in the States. However, I enjoy most of the same authors everyone has previously listed and choose fiction, non-fiction and historical fiction. Looking forward to reading about others perspectives and passions over the next few weeks.

message 47: by Karen (new)

Karen Plummer Hi!

My name is Karen and I'm a librarian with a Master's degree in History and another in library science.

I've been a huge fan of Tudor history since the late 1960s/early 1970s. I can't remember what really started me on my kick, but it inspired me to begin reading everything I could find on the Tudors, as well as the Wars of the Roses and Welsh history.

Favorite? Oh dear, I don't think I can limit myself to a single book!! I have a huge list. :-) A few titles I've enjoyed include: Henry VIII by J.J. Scarisbrick; Henry Tudor and Wales by Glanmor Williams; and a textbook, Tudor and Stuart Britain 1471-1714 by Roger Lockyer.

I'm open to anything.

message 48: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany Day | 17 comments Hello, all~

I'm Tiffany -- I became interested in the period back in thee early 90s in high school - a combo of reading trashy romances set in the era and doing a huge report on Jane Grey. I went on to get a BS in History, with a focus on British history [as well as in Psychology, so it must be obvious why I'm so taken with these old-timey whackadoos! ;) ]

My fave book is probably Mantel's Wolf Hall. Wolf Hall (Thomas Cromwell, #1) by Hilary Mantel It's hard to choose a non-fic fave -- I am partial to Weir's work. I'm game for reading whatever -- with White Queen fever upon us all, I'm interested in the lead-up to the dynasty... and I'm always happy to enjoy anything on Katherine of Aragon - she's my personal darling of the age. I hope we partake of fiction as well -- and I'd love to read some things focusing more on the life of the age - clothing, music, weapons, food, etc.

message 49: by jp2e (new)

jp2e | 3 comments Hi,
I've been a fan of Tudor history since I picked up a very trashy "hysterical fiction" book on Katherine Parr called Her Royal Destiny by Carol Eady when I was 12 (late 1980s).
Legacy by Susan Kay came next and is probably my favorite of all time. Kay's Elizabeth led me into a lifelong obsession with the Tudors, and my literary tastes improved with age...I've read pretty much every non-fiction book on the Tudor family, and about 70% of the fiction (is it even possible to read all the fiction?!). I tend to shy away from the very fictionalized accounts and have a bit of a grudge against the likes of Phillipa Gregory, which may exclude me from life in this book club instantaneously?
Wolf Hall was a revelation for me, having become somewhat discouraged by the rechurning and sexing-up (as if it needed sexing up) of Tudor history by the movie and TV industry (don't get me started on The Tudors...) and highly commercial novelists. Mantel did something no one has been able to do for me before, shed new light on the period and make it feel highly relevant to the modern age. Masterful. Bringing Up the Bodies was a bit of a dissapointment to me however, and I can't help but feel the whole trilogy deal is a bit of a sell out, but hey, historical authors have to eat I suppose.
Elizabeth and Anne B are my go to Tudors, and all the wives, I'm excited to delve into the earlier Tudors more and can't wait to read Leanda de Lisles The Family Story when it's released here in the US next month. (I'm an expat Brit). In the meantime Winter King looks like it will be a good place for me to start! Thanks so much for creating this group.
Jenni
p.s. I'm also hankering after trying to write my own non-fiction book one day on a relatively un-discovered Tudor figure - that is if Ms Gregory doesn't beat me to it!

message 50: by Val (new)

Val jp2e wrote: "Hi,
I've been a fan of Tudor history since I picked up a very trashy "hysterical fiction" book on Katherine Parr called Her Royal Destiny by Carol Eady when I was 12 (late 1980s).
Legacy by Susan ..."

I completely agree with you that Tudor history does not need sexing up. Sensationalism is a poor substitute for good research and bringing the very eventful history to life, as Hilary Mantel did.
I hope the group is not going to split into a Hilary Mantel supporters club versus a Phillipa Gregory supporters club, but if it does, I'm with you.

« previous 1