The Sword and Laser discussion

What Else Are You Reading? > Tales of the Ketty Jay #4

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Warren (new)

Warren | 1556 comments The Ace of Skulls (Tales of the Ketty Jy #4) comes out 19 Sept.
In the UK. The US version won't be out till the following year.
I know that its usually the other way around, still…..

message 2: by Tim (new)

Tim | 40 comments I'm more than a little excited about this. I'm also more than a little sad that it will be the last in the series. I hope he comes back to it some day

message 3: by Ben (new)

Ben Rowe (benwickens) I felt that diminishing returns were kicking in. I really enjoyed the first book but the third seemed like the characters had already done all the arcs that were interesting and it felt flat. I finished it but felt it would probably be the last in the series I went for unless it gets substantially shaken up.

message 4: by Kevin (last edited Sep 05, 2013 05:06AM) (new)

Kevin | 701 comments Ben wrote: "I felt that diminishing returns were kicking in. I really enjoyed the first book but the third seemed like the characters had already done all the arcs that were interesting and it felt flat. I f..."

I thought the first one was good, but found that the second and third books got progressively better. I'm in two minds about Wooding tying the series off after this. On the one hand I'd love to see more books of the Ketty Jay crew, but on the other hand episodic series that go on too long IMO tend to lose the point and coherence of the overarching plot lines. Better to go out with a bang than to fade away I guess.

If anyone's looking for some Epic fantasy that's different you should try Wooding's Braided Path trilogy (there's an omnibus edition:The Braided Path). IMO it's even better than the Ketty Jay series

message 5: by Daniel (new)

Daniel Ferguson | 21 comments I loved number 3, though that was admittedly the first one I read. I'm glad there's at least one more, but I think 4 is a good number for this series - not too short, not too long.

I feel The Dresden Files has improved a LOT in the 15 or so books (I don't know the real number), the first were kinda so-so, the last one I read, Ghost Story, was all kinds of cool with a lot more complexity going on, which was nice for the series. Butcher's really hit his stride, I feel.

But that's a whole different author.

message 6: by Tim (new)

Tim | 40 comments I've just loved all of them, to be honest. I think he does a great job of keeping the characters interesting while still keeping the flow of action going.

I was looking forward to many years of ongoing stories, with characters dropping in and out, new arcs starting and interweaving. But I can live with one great arc, done well.

I liked the Braided Path, but the trilogy is very uneven in tone and storylines. Also, I could never quite bring myself to believe that people would really let the Weavers exist. Awesome ending though

message 7: by Warren (last edited Sep 11, 2013 06:15PM) (new)

Warren | 1556 comments I understand that books are "published" in different countries on different dates.
Is this covered by law or simply corporate policy?
Basically- why can't I just establish a Amazon UK account and have it shipped anywhere in the world?

message 8: by Kevin (new)

Kevin | 701 comments you can. Then you'll get the UK version from the UK publisher. It's with ebooks where things get complicated/ridiculous.

message 9: by Louise (new)

Louise (louiseh87) | 352 comments Bookshelf wrote: "I understand that books are "published" in different countries on different dates.
Is this covered by law or simply corporate policy?
Basically- why can't I just establish a Amazon UK account and..."

It's because they're different publishers (UK is Gollancz, US is Titan), with different publishing schedules. It may have just taken longer to sell it to the US publisher, or they might have a fuller publishing schedule. Of course, you can get it imported.

message 10: by Warren (new)

Warren | 1556 comments Terrific. Thank you for that info.
It won't be the first (or last) time I paid more for shipping then for the book.

message 11: by Kevin (new)

Kevin | 701 comments Bookshelf wrote: "Terrific. Thank you for that info.
It won't be the first (or last) time I paid more for shipping then for the book."

Bookdepository.co.uk

Free shipping world wide. Takes a good bit longer than Amazon, but hey it's free.

As for Amazon: You don't even need to set up a different Amazon UK account. They share accounts across all the Amazon sites. Just not things like wishlists and stuff.

message 12: by Warren (new)

Warren | 1556 comments It seems to be getting good reviews-
http://iurl.no/15a4r

message 13: by Tim (new)

Tim | 40 comments I dug it. Only one bit was a bit silly for me, but apart from that it was a good end to the story

Love the century knights. I hope he spins off a series about those guys

message 14: by Daniel (new)

Daniel Ferguson | 21 comments I loved how (minor spoiler) Pinn's dream came true and Frey didn't want to live on this planet any more. Ah, those Futurama memes... :D