Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Insurgent (Divergent, #2)
This topic is about Insurgent
Previous BRs - Authors; Q - T > Roth, Veronica; Insurgent - Start Date September 19th 2013

Comments Showing 1-50 of 89 (89 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Lisarenee (new) - added it

Lisarenee | 7659 comments  photo insurgentcollage_zps9dca8bc2.jpg

This topic is open for discussion of Insurgent by Veronica Roth. Be prepared for SPOILERS.

Book Synopsis:
One choice can transform you—or it can destroy you. But every choice has consequences, and as unrest surges in the factions all around her, Tris Prior must continue trying to save those she loves—and herself—while grappling with haunting questions of grief and forgiveness, identity and loyalty, politics and love.

Tris's initiation day should have been marked by celebration and victory with her chosen faction; instead, the day ended with unspeakable horrors. War now looms as conflict between the factions and their ideologies grows. And in times of war, sides must be chosen, secrets will emerge, and choices will become even more irrevocable—and even more powerful. Transformed by her own decisions but also by haunting grief and guilt, radical new discoveries, and shifting relationships, Tris must fully embrace her Divergence, even if she does not know what she may lose by doing so.

New York Times bestselling author Veronica Roth's much-anticipated second installment of the dystopian Divergent series is another intoxicating thrill ride of a story, rich with hallmark twists, heartbreaks, romance, and powerful insights about human nature.

message 2: by Lisarenee (new) - added it

Lisarenee | 7659 comments reserved

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 31140 comments Mod
Does the 19th work for everyone?

message 4: by Kristie (new) - added it

Kristie | 3280 comments Sounds good!

Anima Miejska | 757 comments Wow, what a great idea, I have read this book already, but I will eagerly join the discussion as it left me with lots of thoughts and I really feel the need to share it LOL

message 6: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 3 stars

Karen ⊰✿ | 14466 comments Mod
I'm in!
I will try and join on time, but may be slower than the group as I go back to work on the 16th and I'm not sure what to expect in terms of how much reading time I will have after that (plus it is now Spring here and I tend to read less and spend more time in the garden!)

message 7: by Kristie (new) - added it

Kristie | 3280 comments No worries Karen! I'm back in school and will probably not have much time for casual reading myself, so we can be slow together. :)

message 8: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 3 stars

:)

Nicole Field (nicolefield) | 1778 comments Yeah, I'm not going to get time to this one until at least a week after this one is set to start too :)

message 10: by Lisarenee (last edited Sep 18, 2013 02:41PM) (new) - added it

Lisarenee | 7659 comments How fast does everyone want to read this one? I just got my book today. I had thought I'd bought if for my daughter already, but it turned out I hadn't.

message 11: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 3 stars

I'm going to be doing a slow read on this just because I can't get a lot read during the week right now. :(

Sarah | 3273 comments I was thinking like about 50 pages a day. It goes really quickly with this book?

message 13: by Lisarenee (new) - added it

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Fifty pages it is. I'll set up a schedule.

message 14: by Lisarenee (new) - added it

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Chapter Breakdown

Date Chapters Pages PPDQs
September 19 1 - 5 1 - 51
September 20 6 - 8 52 - 101
September 21 9 - 12 102 - 152
September 22 13 - 17 153 - 216
September 23 18 - 22 217 - 267
September 24 23 - 27 268 - 313
September 25 28 - 32 314 - 365
September 26 33 - 37 366 - 416
September 27 38 - 41 417 - 465
September 24 42 - 47 466 - 525

Nicole Field (nicolefield) | 1778 comments Fantastic! I have just picked this up from the library and will start on it today :D

message 16: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 3 stars

Just finished Storm Front and One Day for our other BR's, so now I can start this :)

message 17: by Lisarenee (new) - added it

Lisarenee | 7659 comments I just finished today's reading. I couldn't sit down most of the day. I took a sudaphed for my cough and it made me hyper and I couldn't just stay in one place.

Sarah | 3273 comments Sorry - started this morning and am now 75% done. Too easy to read. So first I have translated some of the factions into English. Dauntless = Faction Stupid, Amity = the hippie commune, and Candor = an AA meeting.

message 19: by Lisarenee (new) - added it

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Okay, not a lot going on in this section so I'll keep this short and sweet.

Questions and Comments for Chapters 1 - 5

1) This was a fairly nice intro to the book. It reminded us of what happened. It sounds like Tris is having a hard time handling that she killed Will. Do you think she should confess what happened to someone?

2) So what do you think the sensitive information was that Marcus was talking about that the Abnegation were trying to keep from Jeanine? Would you trust Marcus?

3) I liked that Four/Tobias told Tris' brother, Caleb, that he wasn't messing around with Tris.

4) Will Caleb be able to return to his faction?

Nicole Field (nicolefield) | 1778 comments I'm completely in again, even faster than last time. I just keep on remembering things that I've forgotten in the very short time since we read the first one.

Tris' father died. Tobias/Four is amazing and lovely. Marcus is Tobias' father. Caleb is Tris' brother. Will is the boy she was friends with but killed. I think it's a really good thing that we are being shown how hard that was for her. It wouldn't really make sense for Tris to be so hard that it wouldn't have effected her.

Who's Peter again? Someone remind me?

Why wouldn't Caleb be able to return to his faction? I just don't think it's been mentioned yet because SO MUCH else is going on.

message 21: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 3 stars

Hope you feel better soon Lisarenee!

Nicole - Peter is that nasty guy from the first book that basically tried to kill her. I'm not sure about Caleb. I'm also having a bit of difficulty remembering everything even though I read it not that long ago!

message 22: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 3 stars

Chapters 1-5

1. Yes, and I even forgot that she killed him actually (oops). I'm not sure why I have forgotten so much of book 1 considering it wasn't that long ago we read it! She should tell someone, that is psychology 101, but I think she sees that as a weakness

2. I'm not sure. Is Marcus telling the truth or is Four's take on the situation the right one? Hard to say as what we know of Marcus is through Four's eyes which is not that great

3. Yes, I like Four

4. I hope so. Like Nicole I'm not sure why he can't go back. Either I've forgotten or we haven't been told yet

Nicole Field (nicolefield) | 1778 comments Ohhh, of course. I remember Peter now. Curse him ;)

Oh god, I remember why I loved Tobias right now. The parts where he's talking to Caleb are amazing, as is when he's comforting Tris at the end of chapter 5.

I absolutely love this book. More so, I think, than Divergent so far.

message 24: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 3 stars

haha - yes how could you forget?!
I found Divergent very violent, so it will be interesting to see how this one goes!

message 25: by Lisarenee (new) - added it

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Karen wrote: "Hope you feel better soon Lisarenee!

Nicole - Peter is that nasty guy from the first book that basically tried to kill her. I'm not sure about Caleb. I'm also having a bit of difficulty rememberin..."

Thanks Karen. Feeling a little better today.

message 26: by Lisarenee (new) - added it

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Nicole asked, "Why wouldn't Caleb be able to return to his faction?"

Because he was a Euridite initiate and he helped both his sister and mother and possibly left the faction without permission.

message 27: by Lisarenee (last edited Sep 20, 2013 05:40PM) (new) - added it

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Questions and Comments for chapters 6 - 8

5) Well, I doubt any of us were surprised that Peter was up to his old tricks. He's always looking out for himself.

6) Lovely knowing that Amity drugs their members. Not exactly the best way to handle conflict. Did you think they handled that whole situation poorly? I felt Peter entering someone else's chamber and stealing the hard drive was worse that anything Tris did.

7) Were you surprised the Euridite's showed up?

8) Did Tris do the right thing by destroying the hard drive?

9) Were you surprised to see Edward? I liked his, "I did not see that coming."

10) What did you think of Tobais' mother and his feelings towards her?

11) Should they team up with the factionless?

message 28: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 3 stars

Chapters 6-8

5. We always need a bad guy, don't we?! Part of me hopes that the author finds a way to redeem him by the end of the series

6. Absolutely! Reminded me of the Across the Universe series where they use the drug Phydus to keep their population "happy" and in control.
I was surprised that it seems that Tris was the only one to have consequences. Did anything happen to Peter?

7. Yes! Brazen! I guess they really have taken over

8. Yes. It could not be allowed to get into the wrong hands. Or any hands really. I just hope she destroyed it enough as I'm sure the Euridite's collected the pieces

9. lol yes. It makes sense that the fractionless would make a community together though. Just like homeless people in today's society

10. I really want to know why he is so dirty towards his mum. I think she only left him with Marcus because surely she thought that would be better than being fractionless? If that is his only reason for being so angry he needs to "build a bridge"!

11. Sure, why not. They have nothing to lose and need some help

message 29: by Lisarenee (last edited Sep 22, 2013 03:51PM) (new) - added it

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Questions and Comments for chapters 9 - 12

12. So what did you think of Tris' talk with Tobais' mother? Now I'm thinking their aligning with the factionless may not be such a good idea. Sounds like she's trying to drive a wedge between Tobias and Tris. Just out of curiosity, I wonder who Evelyn left her husband for?

13. Were you surprised to find out Tris' dad had been Erudite?

13. Is it truly safe to have a map of the Divergent? I'd be afraid that information would get into the wrong hands.

14. What did you think of Tris injecting herself?

15. What did you think about Tris' confession she wasn't good enough for Abnegation? What did you think of her statement that with Dauntless she can be less selfish? Is it selflessness or recklessness?

Sarah | 3273 comments I am waiting for the discussion on a later section and then I am excited to bag on the ridiculousness. I find this series very stupid yet very engrossing at the same time. When I read them though I don't feel like it is a complete waste of time because they are so quick and easy to read.

message 31: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 3 stars

lmao Sarah!

message 32: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 3 stars

Chapters 9-12

12. I think there is more to the mother. I hope we explore it a bit deeper. Good question about who she left for!!

13. Yes! But then I guess it makes sense as Caleb chose that and Tris is Divergent (I am assuming factions are somewhat hereditary traits)

14. Oh man I couldn't do that. I think it is her asserting her control over what happens to her

15. I think she is right as she is pretty selfish. I think dauntless are both and that is why they are so dangerous

Anima Miejska | 757 comments 1) This was a fairly nice intro to the book. It reminded us of what happened. It sounds like Tris is having a hard time handling that she killed Will. Do you think she should confess what happened to someone?

I liked the beginning of the story and the fact that all important events from the first part were reminded. I definitely think Tris should talk to someone, but on the other hand the world is crazy there and there are not many peaceful moments. I also think it is very difficult for her. Due to her recklessness I sometimes forget how young she is.

2) So what do you think the sensitive information was that Marcus was talking about that the Abnegation were trying to keep from Jeanine? Would you trust Marcus?
I don't trust him at all. Mainly because of the way he treated Tobias.
3) I liked that Four/Tobias told Tris' brother, Caleb, that he wasn't messing around with Tris.

4) Will Caleb be able to return to his faction?
I don't think so. He sort of betrayed his faction, so I don't see the way of return for him.

Anima Miejska | 757 comments Questions and Comments for chapters 6 - 8

5) Well, I doubt any of us were surprised that Peter was up to his old tricks. He's always looking out for himself.

I hope there is still some chance for him to change, but on the other hand I have doubts that it is possible here.

6) Lovely knowing that Amity drugs their members. Not exactly the best way to handle conflict. Did you think they handled that whole situation poorly? I felt Peter entering someone else's chamber and stealing the hard drive was worse that anything Tris did.

I think that Amity leave in the illusion of peace and lack of conflicts. Their being neutral made me angry.

I think that Peter is a really cowardly villain. On the other hand there is always a question what one would do to survive. I don't know the answer to that.

7) Were you surprised the Euridite's showed up?
Not particularly.

8) Did Tris do the right thing by destroying the hard drive?
For the time being - yes, but I hope they will be able to find the info in some other way.

9) Were you surprised to see Edward? I liked his, "I did not see that coming."
Well, it was surprising, but I had a suspicion that those factionless were trying to create their own community. It was good to know that those people were not so totally alone and scattered.

10) What did you think of Tobais' mother and his feelings towards her?

I have a strong feeling there is a lot of resentment and deep regret on Tobias' side. She abandoned him and what is worse, left him with sadistic father. Still, it is his mother and it can be difficult for him to break the natural bond.

11) Should they team up with the factionless?

I don't trust Tobias' mother, I think she has some plan of her own. But at one moment they may have no choice as the factionless are of great number and may help them to stand against Erudites and Dauntless who betrayed their faction.

Anima Miejska | 757 comments Questions and Comments for chapters 9 - 12

12. So what did you think of Tris' talk with Tobais' mother? Now I'm thinking their aligning with the factionless may not be such a good idea. Sounds like she's trying to drive a wedge between Tobias and Tris. Just out of curiosity, I wonder who Evelyn left her husband for?

So, my suspicions were confirmed.

13. Were you surprised to find out Tris' dad had been Erudite?

Yes, the surprised was equal to that from Divergent, when I found out that her mother was Dauntless, no wonder Tris had difficulty to stay in her old faction.

13. Is it truly safe to have a map of the Divergent? I'd be afraid that information would get into the wrong hands.
Agree on that.

14. What did you think of Tris injection herself?

15. What did you think about Tris' confession she wasn't good enough for Abnegation? What did you think of her statement that with Dauntless she can be less selfish? Is it selflessness or recklessness?

I think that Tris is simply looking for her own identity. She is confused and in deep grief, so it is not the most convenient time to 'find yourself'. I also think she is still in between.

message 36: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 3 stars

@Anima
Re: Peter "I think that Peter is a really cowardly villain. On the other hand there is always a question what one would do to survive. I don't know the answer to that"
Good point. I guess we only see him from Tris' POV. How interesting if we were able to see his POV (I wonder if there is any fan fiction novellas out there?!)
I really hope Tobias' mother is able to redeem herself. It just seems so sad if he has two awful parents. Maybe they will have some kind of stand-off at some point

Anima Miejska | 757 comments I think that there are still many opportunities for them in Allegiant.

And it would be very interesting to read a fan fiction from Peter's POV, aspecially that there are Roth's novellas with Tobias' POV.

Nicole Field (nicolefield) | 1778 comments Oh my goodness, I think that seeing Edward again was my favourite bit! I also think that having the factionless appearing much more prominently in this book is awesome cause I remember a lot of us last time reading Divergent saying that the idea of the factions was not realistic.

I feel a little bit like the factionless are our voice in the book.

And the fact that the tie in is Tobias' mother is just a bonus!

Actually, the other thing I really liked was Tris saying that she missed the way that she and Four used to be in the last book. There are a lot of observations in this book that just make it seem a lot more *real* to me somehow.

I'm very glad I stuck through reading Divergent and picked this book up!

message 39: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 3 stars

Yes that is true Nicole. It will be good to get more info on the factionless. I think they can be quite powerful, and they are what we see as "normal"!

I like this book more too. It doesn't have as much senseless violence. Although it is still pretty violent, atleast it seems to have a reason rather than just for fun! :o

message 40: by Lisarenee (new) - added it

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Sorry guys I fell asleep last night. I'll get some questions up after I get my kids to school this morning. If anyone would like to do questions let me know.

Nicole Field (nicolefield) | 1778 comments Oh god, Tobias and tris fighting :(

message 42: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 3 stars

I know Nicole, but this is YA! lol
I can do them Lisarenee ; I'll put them together now

message 43: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 3 stars

Questions for chapters 13-17

16. Were you surprised with Christina's reaction to tris' confession about Will?

17. Tobias was also pretty annoyed that Tris didn't confide in him. Do you think he is right to feel hurt that she didn't "trust him enough" to tell him?

18. Being divergent has gone from being a terrible secret in book 1, to being quite open in book 2 (and even a way to scare people into giving up their beds! lol). Now you are known as a faction, factionless or divergent. How do you feel about this continual labelling/categorising of people?

19. The dauntless traitors led by Eric shoot needles with dye in them into people, throw gas canisters and look for divergents. Were you surprised to see Eric? What do you think the traitors plan was?

message 44: by Lisarenee (new) - added it

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Thanks Karen.

message 45: by Lisarenee (new) - added it

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Nicole wrote: "Oh god, Tobias and tris fighting :("

I know, but you know Evilyn, er, Evelyn was trying to drive a wedge between them. I wonder what ideas she tried to put in his head about Tris? Wouldn't you love to see Tobais' side of all that is happening in this series? I'd love to see that more than Peter's.

Nicole Field (nicolefield) | 1778 comments I was thinking about the openness of the Divergent in this story myself. I think the title of Divergent would have been better used in this one rather than last book.

And Uriah!

I know it's young adult guys, but it's also an incredibly real response to stress that Tris and Tobias would be fighting. I think it's sad, but an incredibly well written plot point.

message 47: by Lisarenee (new) - added it

Lisarenee | 7659 comments 16. Were you surprised with Christina's reaction to tris' confession about Will?

Not hers, no. You knew she'd be devastated and not know what to think especially since she managed to keep herself from killing Tobias.

17. Tobias was also pretty annoyed that Tris didn't confide in him. Do you think he is right to feel hurt that she didn't "trust him enough" to tell him?

I totally thought that was ironic as he doesn't always confide in Tris.

18. Being divergent has gone from being a terrible secret in book 1, to being quite open in book 2 (and even a way to scare people into giving up their beds! lol). Now you are known as a faction, factionless or divergent. How do you feel about this continual labelling/categorising of people?

Yes, this is very interesting and has to be pretty scary for those that are divergent. What I find interesting is no one has seemingly given a good reason as to why they are so dangerous that they've been killing them.

19. The dauntless traitors led by Eric shoot needles with dye in them into people, throw gas canisters and look for divergents. Were you surprised to see Eric? What do you think the traitors plan was?

I wasn't surprised at all. I figured we'd see him again. After all he was originally from Erudite. I think they were going to kill all but two of the divergent then run tests on the two they kidnapped.

message 48: by Lisarenee (last edited Sep 23, 2013 08:26PM) (new) - added it

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Questions and Comments for Chapters 18 - 22

20. So I don't know about anyone else, but I'm curious who it was who decided divergents were dangerous and should therefore be killed. How long ago was the practice put into place?

21. I really wish we had a visual for Tris. I can't believe Jack called her a little girl when she was making perfect sense. Marcus treats her the same. Are woman treated as equals in the factions? Do some see them as less?

22. Zeke and Tori are back. Do you think the Erudite have spies within new Dauntless (not the traitor one)?

23. Did Tobias do what needed to be done? Was humiliating his father necessary?

24. Is Tobias who Tris thinks he is? I sometimes feel he's trying to control her. Like he knows she's a valuable resource but is trying to harness her. She seems to be the person with the best instincts and plans. I think she shouldn't have withdrawn her name from the nominations for being a leader. I think that was a mistake. Does anyone agree?

Sarah | 3273 comments I think Tris is an idiot... And Tobias. But I will share more about this when we get there.

Nicole Field (nicolefield) | 1778 comments Wow Lisarenee, so many thought provoking issues in this round of questions. I hadn't thought of girls being treated as less, but you're right, they often are!

I do think that what Tobias did to his dad was if not necessary, then reasonable and understandable for the character we have gotten to know over the last two books.

Finally, I keep finding the interaction between Tris and Tobias to be interesting and thought provoking. Neither of them are acting particularly pleasantly, but they're both acting like people who have been damaged by the people who have tried to kill them and all the conspiracies flying around.

« previous 1