21st Century Literature discussion

2013 Book Discussions > Down the Rabbit Hole - And Other Stories, The Publisher (September 2013)

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ben (new)

Ben Rowe (benwickens) | 89 comments I may be wrong but I believe that Down the Rabbit Hole was the first book published by And Other Stories. If it was not the first it was among the very first and I thought this was a good opportunity to look at them as a publisher and to do so in a separate thread than the two actually discussing the books.

They are a pretty interesting small press publisher. Their books are mainly jacketed paperbacks, they mainly publish translated fiction from around the world which has as yet been focused on European and American (central and south) works.

They mainly publish short novels aka novellas although they have published a small number of short story collections. Although Down the Rabbit hole is one of their shorted books it is far from the only book at around this length and I have not noticed one longer than 250 pages.

They are a community interest company so they are not overtly profit seeking and have been awarded grants to enable them to publish some of their books. They are unusual in that they actively encourage and facilitate contributions from the public to help choose which books they will release. They set up reading groups around different countries/ languages and as well as drawing on input from these groups they publish extracts that have been translated from work they are considering publishing on their website so any of us, regardless of whether we speak any other languages but English can comment on and recommend titles.

Their books are mainly jacketed paperbacks and other than a couple of recent releases (such as the reprint of down the rabbit hole) they have a very distinctive and appealing style to them.

I have only read "down the rabbit hole" (well not quite finished it yet) but having looked at some of the reviews of some of their other titles I can see myself acquiring and reading several more of their works over the next few years and I would be interested to know what this group think of their other titles.

Their books are not cheap but they are often available second hand/ as ebooks at fairly affordable prices and you are always going to have to pay for niche interest publications. Given the lovely way in which the books are presented I think they make great presents and are the type of book that I would actually enjoy owning and having part of my library for aesthetic reasons.

Another similar publisher is Pereine Press which I am actively collecting most of their titles and have loved the books I have read. To my mind these are even more appealing aesthetically and their focus of European Novellas that have been popular, are accessible, are contemporary but lack English translation fits well with my sensibilities and tastes.

message 2: by Deborah (new)

Deborah | 983 comments Ben, thank you for starting this thread. It's always interesting to better understand who is doing what in the industry.

I never consider the publisher when book shopping. Perhaps I'll start.

message 3: by Daniel (new)

Daniel Great thread idea, Ben. There seem to be a few of these niche translation-minded publishers popping up, and I personally admire their collective philosophy. A similar publisher that springs to mind (although they only publish in e-book format to keep overhead low and distribution potential high) is Frisch & Co. It's great to know that there are some people with enough passion for good literature that they are willing to search the world for it, and then make it available for those of us in English speaking nations.

message 4: by Ben (new)

Ben Rowe (benwickens) | 89 comments thanks for the comments and also for mentioning Frisch and Co - I had not come across them and I will certainly check them out, already had a quick look at their website.