I Read Therefore I Am discussion

Books and Reading > Spooky Read for October

Comments Showing 1-37 of 37 (37 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lee (new)

Lee Laurel came up with the great suggestion of a spooky side read for October. If everyone would like to make 2 suggestions I'll set up a poll in a couple of weeks.
So if theres anything ghostly, ghoulish, witchey, creepy and generally spooky (novels or short story collections) you'd like the group to read - nominate it here.

message 2: by Lee (new)

Lee For my first suggestion I'm going with Mist Over Pendle - a thrilling and creepy retelling of the events leading up to the Pendle Witch Trials.
I need to have a bit of a think about my 2nd choice.............

message 3: by Laurel (new)

Laurel | 1486 comments Mod
Mist Over Pendle sounds really good!

I'm planning to re-read Dracula as I've got a really cool annotated version so am going to have that as my first suggestion. Am trying to think of a short story collection to nominate as my 2nd choice so will be back when have(finally) decided on one :)

message 4: by Laurel (new)

For my second suggestion: Enter At Your Own Risk: Old Masters, New Voices edited by Alex Scully. I haven't read it but looks to be a good mix of classic gothic horror writers along with more modern authors and has some good reviews (it's also only £1.90 for kindle - bonus!).

message 5: by Lee (new)

Lee Love Dracula and Enter At Your Own Risk is definitely going to make its way into my kindle :o)

message 6: by Lee (new)

Lee Ok 2nd nomination - Florence and Giles
Haven't read this one (been on my TBR for ages) - but it sounds really good - a gothic chiller with shades of Poe, Wilkie Collins, and Henry James' Turn of the Screw.

message 7: by Hilary (new)

Hilary | 2082 comments I would nominate The Shining by Stephen King and Interview with the Vampire by Anne Rice. I also enjoyed The Fall of the House of Usher but can't remember who it's by.

I'm keen to read the Pendle one though, I think I'll add it to my To Buy List which is getting to be as unmanageable as my To Be Read shelf after joining this forum!

message 8: by Hilary (new)

Hilary | 2082 comments On a non reading but real life spooky note. Guess where I first met my late husband on a blind date? Outside the graveyard on Halloween. Fortunately I only realised what the date had been the next year otherwise I might not have turned up!

message 9: by Laurel (new)

All these suggestions are looking good so we are going to be spoilt for choice!
The Fall of the House of Usher is by Edgar Allen Poe and I really enjoyed it too Hilary! It's something I first read when I was a teenager and has stuck with me ever since.

message 10: by Hilary (new)

Hilary | 2082 comments I've just realised that The Shining and Interview ..... Are both Boxall books! I should have remembered this from doing my list.

message 11: by Lee (new)

Lee @ Hilary the Shining is one of my favourite films - I've stuck a label on my DVD reminding me not to watch this too late at night as it usually leads to lack of sleep ( and fear of the bathroom!)

Your blind date sounds like the 1st scene of a hammer horror fim!

message 12: by Hilary (new)

Hilary | 2082 comments I found the shining so scary to read I've never had the nerve to watch the film . The copy I had had a mad picture of Jack Nicholson on the front which horrified me.

message 13: by Lee (new)

Lee He looks scary even when not playing a completely deranged axe murderer

message 14: by Hilary (new)

Hilary | 2082 comments It's those eyebrows! Wasn't he great in theWitches of Eastwick

message 15: by Lee (new)

Lee Oooooh you've just reminded me of the demonic cherry(?) regurgitating !! (shudder)

message 16: by Laurel (new)

I really want to read The Shining too - I can see where this is going...we will vote and pick one and then I will have to read all the other suggestions as well!

message 17: by Lee (new)

Lee Me too - I'd better not read them one after the other though - I'll be a nervous wreck!

message 18: by Laurel (new)

Lol - I have got loads of spooky stuff on my shelves/kindle just waiting for the nights to start cutting in again!

message 19: by Maureen (new)

Maureen | 41 comments Hi everyone
Wow, there's some great suggestions here. I love the film "the Shining" although I've never read the book. I stayed in a rambling hotel with really long corridors recently - it brought back that film vividly in all its spookiness.

My suggestions are more on the cozy/haunted mystery side. I've never read either of these. Shirley Damsgaard "Witch Way to Murder" and the "Ghost and Mrs Muir" by R.A. Dick.

Another suggestion, maybe we could have a Christmassy read in December.

message 20: by Lee (new)

Lee Oooooh I love the film of The Ghost and Mrs Muir with Rex Harrison.
A Christmas read is a good idea - I'll ask for everyone's suggestions in November :0)

message 21: by Laurel (new)

Yeah, I like that idea too!

message 22: by Jo (new)

Jo (new_romantic) | 12 comments I love the film The Shining but I found the book a lot creepier. I had to stop reading in some places because it was creeping me our so much... but I am a wimp though lol

message 23: by Jo (new)

Jo (new_romantic) | 12 comments Plus I adore The Witches of Eastwick it is one of my favourite films. Has anyone read the book?

message 24: by Lee (new)

Lee I didn't even know it was a book - I shall have to investigate :0)

message 25: by Lee (new)

Lee The poll is now up and will end on September 20th.
I thought we could add Hilarys suggestion of "The Fall of the House of Usher" as an extra read as it is so short - it's available to read online so I will post a link to it in October.

message 26: by Laurel (new)

I haven't cast my vote yet - I'm waffling cos I can't decide!

message 27: by Lee (new)

Lee Tricky, isn't it?

message 28: by Lee (new)

Lee Oh my goodness - we now have a tie break situation in our Spooky reads poll- at the moment its between Mist Over Pendle and the Witches of Eastwick both on 4 votes with Florence and Giles on 3.
If anyone's current choice is down among the 1s and 2s please feel free to change to one of the front runners.

message 29: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (theelliemo) Not wishing to influence anyone's vote (she lied!), but I don't think I would be able to read the Witches of Eastwick; due to a phobia I have, some scenes in the film made me ill and I will not be able to forget that!!

message 30: by Lee (new)

Lee Oh dear - that reminds me of the problem I have with Star Trek II (The Wrath of Khan) - it's the bit where Khan puts the horrible insect inside Chekov's Space Helmet and it wriggles through his ear into his head. For months after first watching that I had to sleep with the duvet over my ear - just in case.

message 31: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (theelliemo) Eugh! I'm rather glad I've not seen that!!

message 32: by Lee (new)

Lee We have 2 winners! The Witches of Eastwick and Mist Over Pendle.
As this is a side read, rather than toss a coin to choose between them, we'll have both. So choose which one you prefer and I'll set up the discussion threads at the beginning of October :o)

message 33: by Laurel (new)

Cool, I voted for Mist over Pendle but will probs read Witches of Eastwick too cos love scary stuff!

message 34: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (theelliemo) I have Mist Over Pendle reserved in the library :)

message 35: by Lee (new)

Lee Definitely rereading Mist Over Pendle, will try The Witches of Eastwick if I have time :o)

message 36: by Eric (new)

Eric | 1 comments King's "Salem's Lot"! One of the scariest I've ever read. Read next to a window!

message 37: by Lee (new)

Lee I think I saw a film of that (maybe made for TV) - starring James Mason and either Starsky or Hutch - The book is obviously far scarier as nothing seemed to happen in the film at all except for James Mason looking creepy!!