Crime, Mysteries & Thrillers discussion

Rules of Prey (Lucas Davenport, #1)
This topic is about Rules of Prey
Archive - Group Reads > Rules of Prey - Setember 2013

Comments Showing 1-44 of 44 (44 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Leigh (new)

Leigh | 6313 comments Our group read lead for Rules of Prey is Mỹ Khương. Look forward to an intro to the books and the author, and to a cracking discussion.

As usual please not we discuss all aspects of the books we read - the plots, the characters, the settings and so on - on our discussions threads. Hence the discussion threads will contain spoilers from the start. if you haven't finished the book yet be careful not to read others' posts until the end.

Summary:
The "maddog" murderer who is terrorizing the Twin Cities is two things: insane and extremely intelligent. He kills for the pleasure of it and thoroughly enjoys placing elaborate obstacles to keep police befuddled. Each clever move he makes is another point of pride. But when the brilliant Lieutenant Lucas Davenport--a dedicated cop and a serial killer's worst nightmare--is brought in to take up the investigation, the maddog suddenly has an adversary worthy of his genius.

Mỹ Khương | 11 comments Hi guys, I'm My and I'm in charge of the discussion on Rules of Prey by John Sanford. For those who haven't known about the author, here are a few intro lines about him:

John Sandford is the pseudonym of John Roswell Camp, an American author and journalist. Camp won the Pulitzer Prize in journalism in 1986, and was one of four finalists for the prize in 1980. He also was the winner of the Distinguished Writing Award of the American Society of Newspaper Editors for 1985.
Camp is the author of thirty-one published novels, all of which have appeared, in one format or another, on the New York Times Best-Seller lists. He is also the author of two non-fiction books, one on plastic surgery and one on art. His books have been translated into most European languages, as well as Japanese and Korean. He is the principal sponsor of a major archaeological dig in Israel, and is on the board of directors of the Albright Institute of Archaeological Research.
description

About the book :
Rules of Prey is the first book of the series about Lucas Davenport, which was published in 1989. The series contains a total of 23 books, the latest work of which is Silken Prey, published in 2013.
Synosis:
The murderer was intelligent. He was a member of the bar. He derived rules based on professional examination of actual cases: Never kill anyone you know. Never have a motive. Never follow a discernible pattern. Never carry a weapon after it has been used. Beware of leaving physical evidence. There were more. He built them into a challenge. He was mad, of course . . .
The killer's name is Louis Vullion, a low-key young attorney who, under the camouflage of normalcy, researches his next female victim until the pressure within him forces him to reach out and "collect" her. Plying his secret craft with the tactics of a games master, he has gripped the Twin Cities in a storm of terror more fierce than any Minnesota winter.
It is after the third murder that Lucas Davenport is called in. It is the opinion of his colleagues that everything about the lieutenant is a little different, and they are right — in the computer games he invents and sells, in the Porsche he drives to work, in the quality of the women he attracts, in his single-minded pursuit of justice. The only member of the department's Office of Special Intelligence, Davenport prefers to work alone, parallel with Homicide, and there is something about this serial killer that he quickly understands. The man who signs himself "maddog" in taunting notes to the police is no textbook sociopath; he has a perverse playfulness that makes him kill for the sheer contest of it. He is a player.
Which means that Davenport will have to put all his mental strength — and physical courage — on the line to learn to think like the killer. For the only way to beat the maddog is at his own hellish game. . .

Now if you have read the book, feel free to come here and talk your mind about everything in the book. Here is my first discussion thread: What do you think about Lucas Davenport?

Chava | 2788 comments I'm "reading" this book as an audiobook in the car. Boy, this Maddog guy creeps me out. The book has me totally hooked, I take the long way to my destination so I can hear what happens next.
Lucas seems very gritty and raw, but with a good heart.
The swearing is a bit much for me though.

message 4: by Leigh (new)

Leigh | 6313 comments This is my choice for this month as well. I read it in high school but that was a while ago. I am really looking forward to it. I have not read John Sandford for a few years.

Jenny Regalia (jennyrph) | 81 comments I read this over 10 years ago so I am starting to re-read it. I had stopped reading JS because I felt his books were very similar. Alsom=, I met him at a book signing and he was very grumpy. I like lucas davenport. I do wish that he developed more character as the books progressed.

message 6: by Leigh (last edited Sep 02, 2013 11:36PM) (new)

Leigh | 6313 comments He's old, ergo he is grumpy. He lives in my city. I think I have seen him around and didn't know it. Weird.

Chava | 2788 comments weird, I'd never heard of the author and then to see that he's pretty popular and has written 23+ books already...oops. I wish I had read him in high school, that would have made my English book list so much more interesting! (instead it was filled with books like One flew over the cuckoo's nest, Animal farm, The picture of Dorian Grey and Catcher in the Rye)

Mỹ Khương | 11 comments I came across Rules of Prey at a bookstore and when I read the back cover of it, there were like 22 books in the series. I was really surprised, John Sanford is a very prolific writer.

Jonetta (ejaygirl) I read this a few months ago. Interesting story and I "liked" having the POV of the killer, creepy as it was. Davenport is an enigma and I wasn't crazy about his romances in this story.

Johnvano | 6 comments I discovered Sanford a few years ago and love his books as a fun diversion. I've read the first three or four of the Davenport books and all of the Virgil Flowers books. I really like Flowers the character... but the Davenport books are better crime stories. what I enjoyed est about this particular story was the surveillance scenes. I'm at Sanford at a book signing a year ago and he was aloof in person but magnetic from the stage.

message 11: by Simon (new) - added it

Simon Jenner (simon_jenner) | 2 comments I started this last night and am enjoying it so far, especially having the baddie's POV. He's definitely a nasty piece of work. I found it unusual to see him failing though, but good for the woman!

message 12: by Mỹ (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mỹ Khương | 11 comments Johnvano wrote: "I discovered Sanford a few years ago and love his books as a fun diversion. I've read the first three or four of the Davenport books and all of the Virgil Flowers books. I really like Flowers the c..."
It's awesome that you got a chance to meet John Sanford! My sister met him too and she got the same opinion as yours about him. :))

message 13: by Mỹ (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mỹ Khương | 11 comments Chava wrote: "I'm "reading" this book as an audiobook in the car. Boy, this Maddog guy creeps me out. The book has me totally hooked, I take the long way to my destination so I can hear what happens next.
Lucas ..."

Yeah, Lucas seems to be an imperfect portrait of a detective but his personality is quite cool.

message 14: by Mỹ (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mỹ Khương | 11 comments Simon wrote: "I started this last night and am enjoying it so far, especially having the baddie's POV. He's definitely a nasty piece of work. I found it unusual to see him failing though, but good for the woman!"
Agreed! The naming of the killer surely hasn't spoiled anything from the story. And reading from the baddie's perpestive both creeps me out and excites me to the fullest!

☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎ | 601 comments Oh I would like to join and read this book. Is it to late?

Chava | 2788 comments Carmen wrote: "Oh I would like to join and read this book. Is it to late?"

Never too late! Btw, the book threads stay open so even when the official period is over, you can still discuss the book :). Join in, Carmen. It is a great book

☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎ | 601 comments Thanks Chava. Going to start tonight so that I can see what everyone has been commenting about. Especially the creepy part. :)

message 18: by Mỹ (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mỹ Khương | 11 comments Carmen wrote: "Thanks Chava. Going to start tonight so that I can see what everyone has been commenting about. Especially the creepy part. :)"

Have fun reading Carmen. :)

Chava | 2788 comments for those who are at chapter 9 already:
does anyone else find the reaction of Davenport weird to his girlfriend's news? Btw, what a [insert bad word] for putting him into that situation without his consent.

Jonetta (ejaygirl) I did. His behavior with all the women in this story was weird.

message 21: by Mỹ (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mỹ Khương | 11 comments Has everybody read through till the end? I dont mean to reveal anything spoilers so just tell me how you feel after reading it. :)

message 22: by Ann (new)

Ann | 12 comments So far, Davenport seems likeable, but I think that is because of the contrasting character of Vullion.

message 23: by Ilene (new)

Ilene (ilene-rachel) | 16 comments I'm a little over 70% through the book. I have mixed feelings about Lt. Lucas Davenport. Sometimes I really like him and sometimes I think he's shallow and crude. His reaction to Jennifer's news was surprising; his attitude confusing especially with his other involvement. It seems he's a man of contradictions.

One of the biggest problems I have so far with the book is the author's inconsistency. Sometimes his grammar is so off!

Jonetta (ejaygirl) Ilene wrote: "I'm a little over 70% through the book. I have mixed feelings about Lt. Lucas Davenport. Sometimes I really like him and sometimes I think he's shallow and crude. His reaction to Jennifer's news wa..."

I had a similar reaction to Davenport. Even after finishing the book, the jury was still out on him.

☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎ | 601 comments Wow you guys are way ahead of me. I haven't been able to read the book but will catch up. I've been really busy with my kids and their school and I'm hoping that while I'm at my daughter's band camp helping, during my down time, I'm able to finish the book. It's nice to see such interesting comments. Can't wait to catch up and join the comments.

message 26: by Ilene (new)

Ilene (ilene-rachel) | 16 comments Finished the book a little while ago. Now I really don't know what to think of Davenport! LOL

Chava | 2788 comments I just finished the book and now I'm completely conflicted. At first I thought he was a hard working cop with some rough edges. Now that I've finished the book I don't think I really like him. His manner with women is demeaning and sexist, his policing is questionable and his temper is outrageous. I thoroughly enjoyed the book though, happily volunteered to do some driving for errands this week so I could finish the audio book and dive early into bed to read the book :). Great pick for a group read!!

Jonetta (ejaygirl) Chava wrote: "I just finished the book and now I'm completely conflicted. At first I thought he was a hard working cop with some rough edges. Now that I've finished the book I don't think I really like him. His ..."

Okay, FINALLY, someone as conflicted and intrigued as I am about Davenport and the book!! I'm glad I read this book and just don't know what to think of this man.

Chava | 2788 comments It definitely enticed me to read others in the series

Jonetta (ejaygirl) Same here.

message 31: by Evelyn (last edited Sep 25, 2013 04:02PM) (new)

Evelyn (elare42gmailcom) | 9 comments I finished the book and it was just OK. I doubt if I would recommend it to anyone. But I did start reading another "prey" book and it was really boring and didn't finish it. As for Lt. Davenport I liked him as a cop but not as a man. I'm moving on to other author.

message 32: by Leigh (new)

Leigh | 6313 comments Thank you Mỹ Khương, for leading the discussion for this book.

Chava | 2788 comments Yes, thanks My for this book suggestion and the discussion, thoroughly enjoyed it!!!

☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎ | 601 comments Finished reading but didn't get to GR soon enough. I found Davenport a little weird with the women and the way he says things to them. He seem to be smart but he's just weird. I don't know how to describe him. I will continue with this series as soon as I'm done with my other challenges. I really enjoyed this book. Thank My for the suggestion. I had this on my TBR list for a long time and happy that I finally got to it.

message 35: by Leslie (last edited Oct 05, 2013 02:33PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leslie (lesmorecats) | 72 comments Am reading more Davenports. He's an interesting guy in that he LOVES women and falls in LOVE all too easily and often. Gets his heart and another part broken too often, but that's what happens when ya jess kain't co-mit to one alone. He needs to live in a culture that allows multiple marriage.

message 36: by Anne (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anne | 44 comments I am loving this series. Lucas Davenport is "the" man! The characters in this book are very believable and personable. He reminded me of a more likeable Harry Bosch (not saying that Harry isn't likeable). Thanks for the group read!

message 37: by Leslie (last edited Oct 05, 2013 02:33PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leslie (lesmorecats) | 72 comments Johnvano wrote: "aloof in person but magnetic from the stage."

A very common combo in both Hollywood and Broadway.

message 38: by Greg (new) - rated it 4 stars

Greg As an intro, this book does a decent job in setting up the series, with the next one, Shadow Prey, also establishing Davenport as well. After reading the entire series along with his other works (the Virgil Flowers series - works with Davenport but in more remote parts of the state, the Kidd series - an art expert, thrillers), I can definitely see in this one how it can come across as rough. While overall his style remains similar, his skill as a writer definitely improves, and you will get to know Davenport quite a bit better. I also enjoy the development of carry over characters as well. As a mostly life-long Minnesotan, I also am probably swayed by the occasional recognizable landmark.

Jonetta (ejaygirl) Thanks for the additional insight, Greg. It's helpful.

Leslie (lesmorecats) | 72 comments Greg wrote: "As an intro, this book does a decent job in setting up the series,..."

Just finished #3. Very much better.

Karen (karen94066) | 262 comments I started this series at book three Eyes of Prey, because the library did not have books one and two in audio. I read or listened to 14 books in the series, and know where Lucas goes with this life in the near future. So, starting at the beginning is strange, but I've been reading Rules and enjoying it. I expected to see him earlier in his career, before he made all his money. Also, there is a difference in reading and listening to books for me. I get more detail when I read them.
After this I will read book two and may re read the rest. Lucas has always been an attractive character, because he held to his principals and was nice to his women friends. It also helps that he is rich and drives a nice car.
I have not finished Rules yet, and so I have just skimmed your comments, not wanting to read a spoiler. I will report back what I think about it when I have concluded. Can't believe it is October already. Where did September go?

Chava | 2788 comments Yes, I'm not a fan of starting a series halfway. I read this book as an ebook and also as an audiobook to get through it quicker (with 3 kids of 3 & under during school holidays, I take all the short cuts I can get!). I also get more detail from actual reading. I've started on book #2 now

Olivia "So many books--so little time."" | 679 comments I read Rules of Prey a few months ago after having read several later installments in that series and I must say I found it superb. It was an excellent introduction to the character of Lucas Davenport. John Sandford is one of my favorite authors.

☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎ | 601 comments I hate when I read a series in the middle of it or way farther into the series. I did that with the Alex Cross series and the Harry Bosch series too. It was a new author for me at the time and I didn't know it was a series until it was too late so I am going to go back and start from the beginning. I'm so committed that I haven't read any of the new ones. I was happy when this book was picked as group read because it has been in my to read list for a while and it's not in the middle of the series. :)