Crime, Mysteries & Thrillers discussion

The Deeds of the Disturber (Amelia Peabody, #5)
This topic is about The Deeds of the Disturber
Archive - Group Reads > Deeds of the Disturber, The - September 2013 (Memorial Read)

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Leigh (last edited Sep 02, 2013 09:13PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Leigh | 6313 comments Our group read lead for The Deeds of the Disturber is Kirsten. Look forward to an intro to the books and the author, and to a cracking discussion.

As usual please not we discuss all aspects of the books we read - the plots, the characters, the settings and so on - on our discussions threads. Hence the discussion threads will contain spoilers from the start. if you haven't finished the book yet be careful not to read others' posts until the end.

Summary:
Can fear kill? There are those who believe so but Amelia Peabody is skeptical. A respected Egyptologist and amateur sleuth, Amelia has foiled felonious schemes from Victoria's England to the Middle East. And she doubts that it was a Nineteenth-Dynasty mummy's curse that caused the death of a night watchman in the British Museum. The corpse was found sprawled in the mummy's shadow, a look of terror frozen on the guard's face. What or who killed the unfortunate man is a mystery that seems too intriguingly delicious for Amelia to pass up, especially now that she, her dashing archaeologist husband, Emerson, and their precocious son, Ramses, are back on Britain's shores. But a contemporary curse can be as lethal as one centuries old and the foggy London thoroughfares can be as treacherous as the narrow, twisting alleyways of Cairo after dark when a perpetrator of evil deeds sets his murderous sights on his relentless pursuer... Amelia Peabody!

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 0 comments Hello, everybody! This is Kirsten. Elizabeth Peters, aka Barbara Mertz, was an Egyptologist herself and a prolific mystery writer. Most famous for her Amelia Peabody series. All the books are steeped in the Egyptology that she so loved. She also wrote gothics under the name Barbara Michaels.

I haven't read all of the books, but this is one of my favorites. There is humor and suspense galore. I hope you will all enjoy this book!!

Leigh | 6313 comments I have just started this and thus far I really like it. I don't think I have ever read Elizabeth Peters before so it's always fun to find a new author that I enjoy.

Have you ever heard of the Theodosia Throckmorton books by R.L. LaFevers? I think she must have bee influenced by this series.

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 0 comments Leigh wrote: "I have just started this and thus far I really like it. I don't think I have ever read Elizabeth Peters before so it's always fun to find a new author that I enjoy.

Have you ever heard of the The..."

I'm glad you like it. I hope that you will go back and read from the beginning:

Crocodile on the Sandbank (Amelia Peabody #1) by Elizabeth Peters

Amelia, Emerson, and their precocious child Ramses are such fun. I haven't read the whole series yet, but I plan to!

Leigh | 6313 comments I have come across her her books many times, but for some reason never read one. I think I have going to have to buy her books for my Mum, who is a great fan of anything related to Egypt and Egyptology.

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 0 comments Leigh wrote: "I have come across her her books many times, but for some reason never read one. I think I have going to have to buy her books for my Mum, who is a great fan of anything related to Egypt and Egypto..."

Barbara Mertz aka Elizabeth Peters was an actual Egyptologist.

message 7: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (quiltsrme) | 43 comments This is a most interesting, chatty first person book. I'm totally caught up in her meandering dialogue and I've not even reached a murder yet!

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 0 comments Stephanie wrote: "This is a most interesting, chatty first person book. I'm totally caught up in her meandering dialogue and I've not even reached a murder yet!"

I agree, Stephanie, I love following Amelia's rambling monologue. It can be a lot of fun. How do you like Amelia as a liberated female in Victorian times?

message 9: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (quiltsrme) | 43 comments Well, she is probably as liberated as a female COULD go and still be accepted by the Society of those times. I like that they introduced yet another 'liberated' female, the reporter Miss Minton. Should be interesting with the interaction between the two.

Leigh | 6313 comments I REALLY like Amelia. The author seems to be staying to true to the time period--at least what I know of it. Ramses is hilarious.

Francie Grice | 48 comments Loving this book so far. I absolutely adore Ramses!

Leigh | 6313 comments Francie wrote: "Loving this book so far. I absolutely adore Ramses!"

Me too!! Percy and Violet (great name) appear to be really picking on him.

Francie Grice | 48 comments The name Violet always makes me think of the Willie Wonka movie ;)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 0 comments Ramses is such a little stinker. I think he deserves all the picking on he can get. He seems to be able to take it. What's fun about this series is that the family and friends of Amelia grow and age and progress. If you read far enough, Ramses grows to adulthood and even marries.

message 15: by Leigh (last edited Sep 18, 2013 08:47PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Leigh | 6313 comments Kirsten wrote: "Ramses is such a little stinker. I think he deserves all the picking on he can get. He seems to be able to take it. What's fun about this series is that the family and friends of Amelia grow and ag..."

That is very unusual. My sister is reading the Sebastien St. Cyr series and she is complaining that she has read eight books and only a few months have gone by.

Leigh | 6313 comments Francie wrote: "The name Violet always makes me
think of the Willie Wonka movie ;)"

I always think of Veruca. Terrible little girl.
:-)

Francie Grice | 48 comments Now that I've finished reading The Deeds of the Disturber (Amelia Peabody, #5) by Elizabeth Peters , I'm looking foward to reading more in this series. I love the relationship between Peabody and Emerson. Ramses is wonderful and he really comes through at the end of the book. Thanks for nominating, Kirsten.

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 0 comments Francie wrote: "Now that I've finished reading The Deeds of the Disturber (Amelia Peabody, #5) by Elizabeth Peters, I'm looking foward to reading more in this series. I love the relationship between Peabody and Emerson. Ramses is wond..."

You're welcome. I'm glad you liked it! Go back to

Crocodile on the Sandbank (Amelia Peabody #1) by Elizabeth Peters if you want to see how they met!

I really love this series. All the Egyptology is quite authentic, a little romance, a spoonful of humor, and a darn good mystery, served with a substantial helping of intrigue.

Shelly Colp I've read several of the Amelia Peabody books now and really like the series. I also really enjoy the Barbara Michaels books.

Portia | 308 comments I agree with you, Shelley. When I was first introduced to her books back in the 1980s, I read everything she had published to date, including her two non-fictions. As I am sure everyone knows, she was one of the founding authors of Malice Domestic, the Creme de la Cozy mystery convention held in the Washington, DC, area every spring and bestowing group of The Agatha Awards. She will be sorely missed and dearly remembered.

Leigh | 6313 comments I think Carriger, Gail read these books. Her heroine, Alexia Tarabotti, also wields her parasol with great enthusiasm ans sees it as a useful weapon as well.

Leigh | 6313 comments Thank you for leading the discussion for this book Kirsten.