What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

The Kingfisher Book of Scary Stories
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. Scary children's anthology book [s]

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michael (new)

Michael Peake | 11 comments I'm trying to find a book I read as a child. I think it was an illustrated anthology of scary stories. The pictures were colour. One of the stories was about a child getting trapped in/exploring a haunted mineshaft, one was about a boy being haunted by a supernatural dog after visiting a strange rock formation, and another evoked the Cabinet of Dr. Caligari.
I don't know what the country of origin was, but I read it as a chil in the UK in the mid-to-late 1990's, definitely before 1999.
Hope you guys can help!

message 2: by Tab (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 4893 comments Michael, were the illustrations on every page? Or was there, maybe, one illustration per story?

Were the stories all by the same author?

message 3: by Michael (new)

Michael Peake | 11 comments I think the whole thing was illustrated, in colour. ANd as far as I can remember, the whole book had just the one author, but I'm not 100% certain.

message 4: by Jesse (new)

Jesse Freedom (neigh) | 248 comments Was it Scary Stories To Tell In The Dark (Alvin Schwartz)? I'm not sure because I remember it being illustrated in black and white, but there might have been a colored version as well, and it was first published in the eighty's so it had to have been around then.

message 5: by Enid79 (new)

Enid79 | 5 comments I was also thinking about "Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark." The version I read as a child was in color so it looks like there were different versions.

message 6: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (cookiejarprincess) Alvin Schwartz had a couple of Scary Stories books. Scary Stories, and More Scary Stories, and I think even one call Even More Scary Stories. I think I remember mine being in color, but that was in the 80's so I'm not 100% sure.

message 7: by Michael (new)

Michael Peake | 11 comments Sorry guys, I should have said it isn't that book, I've come across it before while searching for mine. I think the pages were fully colour-illustrated (like the entire page was illustrated with the text laid over the pictures, rather than a single picture accompanying text) and I think the style of the illustrations was a bit more.....child-friendly than the Schwartz book.

message 8: by Michael (new)

Michael Peake | 11 comments And while I'm at it, there's another similar book I wouldn't mind finding (but not the same book). Another children's illustrated collection of ghost stories (I don't know if all the stories in the first one were to do with ghosts) with one story about a whimsical ghost, called a flibbertigibbet, haunting a grandfather clock in a boy's new house, a story about a highwayman being lured into a bog and drowned by a female ghost, and a story about a boy exploring a ruined abbey being haunted by a hooded figure, only to learn the hooded figure was preventing him from falling off the cliff. Any ideas?

message 9: by Michael (new)

Michael Peake | 11 comments Never mind that second one, I think it's this: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/16...

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Michael wrote: "I'm trying to find a book I read as a child. I think it was an illustrated anthology of scary stories. The pictures were colour. One of the stories was about a child getting trapped in/exploring a ..."

Could it be Haunted: Ten Tales of Ghosts?

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Even if that isn't it, does anyone else have an idea of what it is? I want to help the OP find his book.

message 12: by Michael (new)

Michael Peake | 11 comments I don't think that's it Raevyn, but thanks for trying!

message 13: by Bubbagump (last edited Dec 26, 2015 12:37AM) (new)

Bubbagump | 3 comments The story about the supernatural dog is "Widdershins" by Ann Turnbull from The Kingfisher Book of Scary Stories. (The dog is actually an incarnation of the devil who appears when you walk backwards around the rock formation a certain number of times).

message 14: by Kris (new)

Kris | 33522 comments Mod
Link for Bubbagump's suggestion - The Kingfisher Book of Scary Stories by Chris Powling (editor) with the short story "Widdershins" by Ann Turnbull.

message 15: by Michael (new)

Michael Peake | 11 comments Kris and Bubbagump, that is it! Thank you so much, I'd given up hope!