50 books to read before you die discussion

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mayra (new)

Mayra (kaligurl_7) | 371 comments i forgot to do a poll for sept. so i picked the 2nd book with the most votes when we picked for august. so you can discuss it here. Enjoy!

Happy Reading!

message 2: by Buck (new)

Buck (spectru) How fortuitous. I just checked it out from the library.

message 3: by Buck (new)

Buck (spectru) The Bell Jar wasn't as good as I had expected, or hoped. I really can't describe specific shortcomings, that is just my subjective reaction. I wouldn't have included The Bell Jar on the list of 50 books.

The thing that made it poignant to me is that it was published in 1963, the same year that Sylvia Plath ended her life before reaching her 31st birthday. The book takes place in 1953 and recounts the slip into mental illness of a 19-year-old college student, who also attempts suicide. The Bell Jar, I presume, is autobiographical.

message 4: by Debra (new)

Debra (goodreadsdebrac) Seems to have been semi-autobiographical. I'm in the middle of it now. Poignant, indeed.

message 5: by [deleted user] (last edited Sep 26, 2013 04:07PM) (new)

such an amazing book. I read in high school and then reads six times since. I love it. Its semi personal/autobiographical obviously but to me its kind of like the female version of catcher in the rye.

message 6: by Karina (new)

Karina (dogsarenotallowedinthedogpark) | 2 comments I'm currently on the waiting list for it in my library. I can't wait to read it.