What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Suggest books for me > Holocaust books revolving around Nazi persecution of other groups besides Jews, such as Gypsy or gay victims

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kitty (new)

Kitty | 318 comments one of my favorite subjects to read about is the holocaust I have read a ton of books both fiction and non fiction on the Nazi persecution of the Jews. but I have been wondering the last couple of years if there are any books revolving around Nazi persecution of other groups such as Gypsy or gay victims.

message 3: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 39315 comments Mod
For an in-depth look at Nazi persecution, both in the death camps and outside, of people either they considered medically interesting and desired to experiment on (like twins), or useless (the mentally ill, the retarded), read The Nazi Doctors: Medical Killing and the Psychology of Genocide.

message 4: by Kitty (new)

Kitty | 318 comments I read rise and fall of the third Reich a few years ago.

message 7: by Sallie (new)

Sallie (salliev) | 28 comments "Fires in the Dark" by Louise Doughty
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/30...

The Men With the Pink Triangle by Heinz Heger
http://www.librarything.com/work/246977

message 8: by Warfawek (last edited Oct 31, 2013 03:06AM) (new)

Warfawek | 3 comments Come and See is an 1985 movie by Elem Klimov written by Ales Adamovich. Ales was a teenage partisan during the war and would write numerous stories, novels and non-fiction books about all the groups in eastern europe during nazi occupation. After the success of Come and See he also waged into modern fiction but I don't think much of it has ever been translated. The film is avaible in whole with subs through google.

message 9: by Amber (new)

Amber (amberf1234) | 40 comments The Hiding Place

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

Maus I A Survivor's Tale My Father Bleeds History (Maus, #1) by Art Spiegelman

Maus is my absolute favorite. This man every horror you can think of during the holocaust.

message 10: by Lydia (new)

Lydia Fiction-wise, you could try Briar Rose by Jane Yolen. While the story doesn't revolve around either of those groups, there's a side story involving a gay Holocaust victim.

message 11: by Risha (new)

Risha | 2 comments If you've not read Anne Frank yet, you should begin there.

Other than that: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6...

message 12: by Sophie (new)

Sophie (notemily) | 478 comments I second the rec for Briar Rose.

message 13: by Michele (new)

Michele | 280 comments Oh yes, Briar Rose is a wonderful book.

message 14: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 19064 comments Bent is good...

message 15: by Joseph (new)

Joseph  (bluemanticore) | 441 comments You might be interested in Kathryn Lasky's The Extra.
Summary: Is the chance to serve as an extra for Hitler’s favorite filmmaker a chance at life — or a detour on the path to inevitable extermination?

One ordinary afternoon, fifeen-year-old Lilo and her family are suddenly picked up by Hitler’s police and imprisoned as part of the "Gypsy plague." Just when it seems certain that they will be headed to a labor camp, Lilo is chosen by filmmaker Leni Riefenstahl to work as a film extra. Life on the film set is a bizarre alternate reality. The surroundings are glamorous, but Lilo and the other extras are barely fed, closely guarded, and kept in a locked barn when not on the movie set. And the beautiful, charming Riefenstahl is always present, answering the slightest provocation with malice, flaunting the power to assign prisoners to life or death. Lilo takes matters into her own hands, effecting an escape and running for her life. In this chilling but ultimately uplifting novel, Kathryn Lasky imagines the lives of the Gypsies who worked as extras for the real Nazi filmmaker Leni Riefenstahl, giving readers a story of survival unlike any other.

message 18: by Eric (new)

Eric Bruce | 104 comments Tess Gerritsen's Playing with Fire recounts some of the Italians' contribution to the atrocities in a fictional story about a violinist , and is worth a read .