Literary Disco discussion

Favorite Picture Books?

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mona (new)

Mona I'm in the process of checking out a few library books for younger relatives who will be visiting soon. I have my own favorites from when I was a child, but also am browsing blogs to find recommendations from parents, authors, illustrators, etc.

So now I'm curious. LD has had a couple episodes focusing on middle-grade books and YA books, but what about picture books? What are your favorites, either as a kid or today?

message 2: by Anis (new)

Anis Ariff (anisstaranise) Favourites as a parent so far are picture books by Oliver Jeffers, Eric Carle, Alex Beard and Dr. Seuss. Beautiful illustrations and great morals.

message 3: by Tracy (last edited Sep 02, 2013 01:29PM) (new)

Tracy (tracynotstacy) | 2 comments I loved the Harry (the dirty dog) books when I was a kid.

message 4: by Patrick (new)

Patrick McG | 1 comments The Red Ranger Comes Calling by Berkeley Breathed. It's a Christmas book that juggles the surreal, snarky, and sincere with unbelievable grace producing a masterpiece that's whimsical, funny, and heartwarming.

message 5: by Lebo (new)

Lebo | 6 comments 'Old Hat New Hat' by Stan and Jan Berenstain (The Berenstain Bears books) is awesome! Fun book with great rhymes!

message 6: by Allie (last edited Sep 29, 2013 12:42AM) (new)

Allie | 1 comments I'm not sure whether you can get them in America (yet) but there are some breathtaking picture books by Shaun Tan - the illustrations are so brilliant, I've bought them all.

http://www.shauntan.net/books.html

message 7: by Dan (new)

Dan | 1 comments I loved books by Syd Hoff. "Danny and the Dinosaur" was one of my favorites. I actually just picked up a copy this weekend. Reading through it and looking over the artwork brought back lots of memories and feelings from my childhood. :-)

message 8: by Gail (new)

Gail | 10 comments The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein still moves me.

message 9: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (mackenziec) | 1 comments My all time favorite is You Ought To See Herbert's House by Doris Herold Lund. It is now out of print but I found a copy on e-bay. Other gems include: The Great Blueness by Arnold Lobel, Won't Somebody Play With Me? by Steven Kellogg, One Morning in Maine by Robert McCloskey, My Mama Says... by Judith Viorst, and Where's Wallace? By Hilary Knight. Additionally there are numerous stellar alphabet books that both children and adults find pleasing.

message 10: by Liz (new)

Liz (lfronczek) | 3 comments I'm late to the party but two of my favorite books as a child were Will You Count the Stars Without Me? and Ivan, Divan and Zariman.

message 11: by Lebo (new)

Lebo | 6 comments Anyone read "Katie Morag delivers the Mail" ?
Loved that one! Picture books are a wonder!

message 12: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (blueliss) | 4 comments Babar is one of my favorite books when I was a kid.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Babar_t...

message 13: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (keylime314) | 2 comments Pigs in the House. I had it memorized for a long time.