Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Serieses! > Warhammer 40k series

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Liam || Books 'n Beards (madbird) | 7 comments I honestly don't think this series should exist, but I don't want to just get rid of it off-hand.

Warhammer 40k is a setting containing hundreds of books, I don't see why they should be cataloged under "Warhammer 40k" rather than their distinct series; for example, Ciaphas Cain: Hero of the Imperium is part of the Ciaphas Cain series, and is cataloged as such, but it is also cataloged under the "Warhammer 40k" umbrella series, which seems to supercede it. This is rather annoying if someone was looking for other Ciaphas Cain novels, and it's the same with most other 40k novels.

It'd be like if every single Star Trek novel was cataloged under a "Star Trek" series.

message 2: by lafon حمزة (new)

lafon حمزة نوفل (lafon) | 3557 comments Properly speaking, every book should have the specific series as the primary and the umbrella series as the secondary. I wouldn't delete the umbrella series, as someone (or several someones) put a lot of work into it. Star Trek (and Star Wars actually) both have incomplete blanket series kicking around somewhere too.

message 3: by Liam || Books 'n Beards (last edited Sep 01, 2013 09:25PM) (new)

Liam || Books 'n Beards (madbird) | 7 comments That's fine, but the umbrella series is showing as the primary series on a lot of titles, which is my main issue with it. I dunno how to fix that outside of removing the books from the series and then adding it again.

message 4: by lafon حمزة (new)

lafon حمزة نوفل (lafon) | 3557 comments Yeah, but the series re-order button is still broken. And because that series is so huge I don't particularly want to re-add it.

Liam || Books 'n Beards (madbird) | 7 comments Fairly dodgy.

message 6: by Banjomike (last edited Sep 02, 2013 04:07AM) (new)

Banjomike | 5530 comments Liam wrote: "It'd be like if every single Star Trek novel was cataloged under a "Star Trek" series. "

At last count there were 173 Star Trek SERIES. Yay for a way to organize them. Not to mention 50+ Warhammer series.

An umbrella series can be very useful by at least providing a pointer to the other series that are related to one the member has been reading.

message 7: by Cait (new)

Cait (tigercait) | 5005 comments Liam wrote: "That's fine, but the umbrella series is showing as the primary series on a lot of titles, which is my main issue with it. I dunno how to fix that outside of removing the books from the series and t..."

Hopefully the series reorder button will be fixed someday, and on that day the umbrella series will be a convenient way to locate all of those books which need to be fixed!

Liam || Books 'n Beards (madbird) | 7 comments We can only hope.