Nordic Noir discussion

Author of the Month > September 2013 Author of the Month - Anne Holt

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dee, the Insanity Check (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 652 comments So with the release of another book by Anne Holt - what are you going to read by her this month?

message 2: by Naomi, the Sanity Check (new)

Naomi (nblackburn) | 932 comments I ordered What Never Happensfrom my library. Kenneth gave it 4 stars so I am hoping I like this better than her Hanne W. series. Although I only gave What is Mine 3 stars. I am caught up with the HW series and loved the last one. What one does she have coming out, Dee? Her last one came out in June.

message 3: by Dee, the Insanity Check (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 652 comments I dunno - you are the one that told me she had a new one coming out...lol!

message 4: by Naomi, the Sanity Check (new)

Naomi (nblackburn) | 932 comments I bet you that was the one in June. It is Death of the Demon: A Hanne Wilhelmsen Novel. I haven't come across any others.

message 5: by Dee, the Insanity Check (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 652 comments maybe that's it then...IDK...

message 6: by Naomi, the Sanity Check (new)

Naomi (nblackburn) | 932 comments I bet it was. I think there were a number of them so we tried to fit them in after the book came out.

message 7: by Anna, the Enabler (new)

Anna (aetm) | 192 comments I just read tBlessed Are Those Who Thirst (Hanne Wilhelmsen #2) but in Finnish (as I was given a copy by someone moving away). Neat characters and well built. Pretty enjoyable.
I'll need to try some more, after a few ARCs, some work, and a Leonard or two...

message 8: by Dee, the Insanity Check (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 652 comments I need to go back...I read like book 8 and was sooo confused...lol

message 9: by Andy (new)

Andy PASS, not one of my favourites in the genre, have tried, honest! & endured two of her books

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13...

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/10...

& gave the second read a 1* which i rarely do....

The general feel of the stories is of unfulfillment with both endings leaving me feeling "Is that it!" with the character of profiler Vik being a real frustration in that half the time she spends bemoaning her partner & going into her "feelings" a little too much at the expense of the plot.

message 10: by Susan (new)

Susan (susanthomas) Finished Blessed Are Those Who Thirst. Good book, looking forward to reading more in the series.

message 11: by Tracey (new)

Tracey | 2 comments 1222 is still my favourite of the series so far. I liked the cynicism and anti-social behaviour of the later Hanne - but maybe that's just me?

message 12: by Naomi, the Sanity Check (new)

Naomi (nblackburn) | 932 comments I can't believe how much more I enjoy her Stubo and Vik series than her Hannah series. What Never Happens is so much faster moving.

message 13: by Diane S ☔ (new)

Diane S ☔ I have to agree I really liked 1222 also. Have not read Blessed Are Those Who Thirstyet, hope to get to it this month, October that is.

message 14: by Naomi, the Sanity Check (new)

Naomi (nblackburn) | 932 comments I really enjoy Death of the Demon

message 15: by Diane S ☔ (new)

Diane S ☔ I already read that one and I did like it as well.

message 16: by Dee, the Insanity Check (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 652 comments bit behind here, but I just got done listening to Blind Goddess which was the first in the HW series...it was ok...I wasn't blown away by it, it seemed to be a typical government corruption, drug smuggling storyline...also felt that she tried to push the Hanne being gay a bit too much - I lost how many times it was mentioned...it doesn't bother me, it just felt like overkill

message 17: by Naomi, the Sanity Check (new)

Naomi (nblackburn) | 932 comments I agree. This isn't an author who rocks my socks off. Death of the Demon was one that I really enjoyed though.

message 18: by Dee, the Insanity Check (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 652 comments I want to try her other series though, if you like it...and my library has it...just got to figure out where to fit in challenges

message 19: by Naomi, the Sanity Check (new)

Naomi (nblackburn) | 932 comments Didn't like it. This author is mediocre to me.