The Rip-Off
This topic is about The Rip-Off
Group Reads > September 2013 - The Rip-Off

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michael, Anti-Hero (new)

Michael (knowledgelost) | 279 comments Mod
September's pick is The Rip-Off by Jim Thompson

message 2: by Algernon (Darth Anyan), Hard-Boiled (last edited Sep 05, 2013 04:53AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Algernon (Darth Anyan) | 541 comments Mod
I started reading it today. I'm a little underwhelmed right now. I didn't do much research beforehand, and I was surprised at the modern references: I was expecting something from the early 1950's. The inensity of the swearing and the utilitarian prose also seem too modern for a classic noir. I expect the story itself will develop more strongly along the genre conventions. Maybe somebody here could help me with the information of when the book was actually written and why it was published posthumously.

Missy | 3 comments I'm curious as to what others thought of this book. I really did not like Britt. He seemed to me like an extremely immature man that would never learn from his mistakes. I couldn't really get into this book.

message 4: by Algernon (Darth Anyan), Hard-Boiled (new) - rated it 2 stars

I read it over the weekend, it wasn't bad, but I had similar problems relating to Britt. I don't want to go into details yet, I'm waiting for more people to finish it before spoiling the plot, but I think the book works better if you look at it as a kind of screwball comedy instead of hard-boiled

Adam | 126 comments I didn't vote for this as the group read, since I read it back when Mysterious Press reissued it in 1989, and it's always been one of my least favorite Jim Thompson novels.

Bobbi (blafferty) | 76 comments I really dragged my feet on this one because it didn't sound like one that would interest me, but I was sucked in almost immediately and am really enjoying it so far.

Bobbi (blafferty) | 76 comments All done. Strange, unexpected, and quirky, but I liked it. I should know by now that anything this group decides on will be worth it.

message 8: by Col (new) - rated it 2 stars

Col (col2910) | 485 comments 2 from 5 - not great was it?

Bobbi (blafferty) | 76 comments From the lack of comments and the contents of the comments that there are, I take it this one wasn't terribly popular. Makes me wonder why so many voted for it.

message 10: by Algernon (Darth Anyan), Hard-Boiled (new) - rated it 2 stars

Probably the vote has more to do with name recognition for the author, but there are better books by him available.

message 11: by Toby (new)

Toby (tfitoby) | 510 comments Was this one readily available? It does seem like not many people read it (not even our intrepid leader Michael) and of you guys that did most didn't enjoy.

I had heard that Thompson had a large body of work that was of variable quality. I think there's a review that actually refers to three tiers of quality, and that's something that should probably be expected with an author who wasn't exactly a bestseller in their lifetime and received a reassessment in the 80s/post-humously.

Goodis is another one of those that's a bit hit or miss and even Charles Willeford who wrote for decades churning out all kinds of pulps before making it big.

message 12: by Michael, Anti-Hero (new)

Michael (knowledgelost) | 279 comments Mod
Tfitoby wrote: "Was this one readily available? It does seem like not many people read it (not even our intrepid leader Michael) and of you guys that did most didn't enjoy.

I had heard that Thompson had a large ..."

I haven't got a copy yet. had to sit this one out

message 13: by Toby (new)

Toby (tfitoby) | 510 comments Yeah I've found Thompson very hard to come by in Perth, new, secondhand, libraries are all exhausted and I'm loath to buy online unless it's vitally important I get it quickly. I'm sure it's similar in QLD.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Rip-Off (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Jim Thompson (other topics)