Fantasy Fanatics discussion

The Crown Tower (The Riyria Chronicles, #1)
This topic is about The Crown Tower

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Shaad Zaman (shaadzaman) | 234 comments Mod
Here is where we can discuss The Crown Tower by Michael J. Sullivan chapters 7-12.
DO NOT post any spoilers from further along in the book, this is just for chapters 7-12.

Becky (beaktastic) | 86 comments Just finished chapter 10 and working on 11 now. Love love LOVED chapter 10. The meeting of Hadrian and Royce! So funny and entertaining, and so full of hints for the later books for those who have read it! Love that these little hints were there for people like me who have read them, but they weren't lingered on too long to properly point them out or highlight them for people who haven't read the books. Quite nice and realistic.

And there's definately something about Pickles that just isn't right...

message 3: by Andreas (last edited Sep 08, 2013 05:03AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Andreas The mysterious hooded man is revealed and a sociopath hatches.
The contrast between Royce and Hadrian is really nice - Hadrian was introduced as a kind of hero and great fighter. Now, he looks utterly dumb getting caught in trap after trap. I love this character development. And wonder how he will be built up again.

Royce on the other hand is such an asshole that I have to love the conversations.

My favourite sentence: (“Ever consider how the sword feels about it?”
Hadrian look puzzled. “The sword? No.”
Arcadius returned to feeding his animals.) “That’s why it’s easier to be a blacksmith.”

That is a nice bit of practical philosophy that I've missed until this chapter. It doesn't weigh up the whole lot of action but I'm fine with it.

Gwen's story is running well with the brothel's building. But we are already led to the peripeteia at the end of chapter 12 with the bribe. I'm just waiting for the going down and hope to see a retarding moment before the catastrophy will happen. But you never know if the author is a fan of Aristotle or not :)

4 stars from, so far.

message 4: by Michael (last edited Sep 09, 2013 12:08PM) (new) - added it

Michael (michaeljsullivan) | 84 comments I must say writing the "first meeting" chapter was one of the funnest times I've had in a long while. Glad you found it entertaining.

And yes I'm a fan of Aristotle, but there are many many influences in my writing - some conscious some not so much.