Wellington Reads discussion

What Are You Reading? > What are you reading? September 2013

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Ackerman Hi everyone!! Does anyone have an exciting new read this month? Or even an unexciting old one?!

I have two books on the go at the moment - One Hundred Years of Solitude and The Yacoubian Building. I started out with one to read at home and one to work (too lazy to walk the same book back and forth, and neither are available as an ebook. Not that I've found, anyway!) but I'm enjoying The Yacoubian Building so much that my original book has been sidelined a bit!!

I don't know how familiar everyone is with The Yacoubian Building - I only recently heard of it but it was first published in Arabic in 2002 and then in English in 2007, and, from what I understand, it caused a bit of a stir in Egypt when it first came out. It tells the varied stories of the residents of the Yacoubian Building in Cairo, and describes daily life in modern day Egypt. I really recommend it!! I didn't expect to enjoy it so much - really good.

message 2: by Paula 1 (new)

Paula 1 Lamb | 47 comments I like the sound of The Yacoubian Building, will check this out (literally!..sorry)

message 3: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Ackerman Paula 1 wrote: "I like the sound of The Yacoubian Building, will check this out (literally!..sorry)"

Cool!! I'll try not to keep the library's copy for too long ;o) I just read the Goodreads reviews for the first time; apparently there are some rather raunchy bits! Hence the fuss. I am halfway through and haven't hit any yet so can't comment, but maybe something to bear in mind, ha.

message 4: by Megan (new)

Megan Browne | 6 comments The Yacoubian Building sounds fascinating. Let us know what you think. Might need to be added to my lengthy list of books to reserve!

message 5: by Sue (last edited Sep 03, 2013 04:51PM) (new)

Sue Dale | 45 comments I am wandering around in a bookless state at the moment. Alexander McCall Smith has DEFINITELY gone off the boil- the new Scotland Street novel was not very good at all and I struggled to finish it. And only one chapter on Bruce !! let's hope he returns to form with the next in the No 1 Ladies detective agency" series "The minor adjustment beauty salon" due here later this year.(I do love his titles !).Alexander McCall Smith is visiting us next May.
My husband is undertaking a history honours research project on the Mass Observation diaries kept in Britain during and immediately after the war, so I am re-reading the books we have here in the library- at the moment" Our hidden Lives - the everyday diaries of forgotten Britain 1945 - 1948" by Simon Garfield.(941.085 GAR) (There are two or three others by the same author).I always find these books a comfort - the detail of the domestic lives of the diary -keepers is very soothing and interesting. And it is sobering to read of their intellectual and political interests - this was surely a more passionate and idealistic age than our own.
Also on the list are "The man who loved China" by Simon Winchester (B NEE) and 'Meltdown' by Ben Elton. He always tells a good story.

message 6: by Tracey (last edited Sep 03, 2013 11:04PM) (new)

Tracey | 8 comments I'm reading The Winter Palace on my e-reader The Winter Palace: A Novel of Catherine the Great, and in print I'm reading Life after life, which I started last month, but haven't managed to get very far with it! Life After Life

message 7: by Erica (new)

Erica I have just finished The Girls by Lori Lansen. This was a great read about two conjoined twin girls. I couldn't put it down.

message 8: by Paula 1 (new)

Paula 1 Lamb | 47 comments Erica wrote: "I have just finished The Girls by Lori Lansen. This was a great read about two conjoined twin girls. I couldn't put it down."

Loved this book too....would also recommend "The wife's tale" by the same author.

message 9: by Chloe (new)

Chloe (loremistress) | 62 comments Mod
I have William Shakespeare's Star Wars and The Secret Museum in my pile of books to read at the moment. The Secret Museum looks like it could be interesting, going behind the scenes and looking at some objects that museums are unable to display.

message 10: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (booknug) | 1 comments Chloe wrote: "The Secret Museum looks like it could be interesting, going behind the scenes and looking at some objects that museums are unable to display. "
That looks interesting! I might have to give it a go some time. I've recently finished up with A History of the World in 100 Objects and it was fascinating.

So far this month I have been indulging in a Charlaine Harris binge. I'm reading the Southern Vampire Mysteries and am nearly done. It's really fast moving and by book nine it's downright silly (while still being horrific).